Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Default Re: TAKE ACTION: Mastriano Bill Would Make PA a Second Amendment Sanctuary

Is Philly actually an ultimate 2nd Amendment sanctuary?

Even those who are prohibited from possessing firearms due to multiple felonies are frequently caught with guns and don't go to jail.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Default Re: TAKE ACTION: Mastriano Bill Would Make PA a Second Amendment Sanctuary

Quote Originally Posted by vfinnell View Post
    Hi, Leon.

If Representative Metcalfe files the same bill from previous years, as his co-sponsorship memo states, then the Senate version will differ significantly. However, the state website indicates that the text of Metcafle's bill is being revised, so I wonder if he is adopting some of the language in the Senate version.

The Senate version differs by adding penalties for municipalities that enforce federal gun control in the form of loss of state grant funds. They are also forbidden to accept federal bribe money to enforce new federal gun control. The Senate version also removes qualified immunity for elected officials. Additionally, not only is the Attorney General required to prosecute these cases as in Metcalfe's previous bill, but if the AG refuses to do so a private right of action is created in the Senate version.

Another key difference is that the Senate version has civil penalties rather than criminal penalties. GOA helped draft this bill and looked at Pennsylvania's 1847 Personal Liberty Law for guidance. As you may recall, this was a non-cooperation law for enforcement of the Fugitive Slave Act. Pennsylvania's previous law was declared unconstitutional by the Taney Court. Using the previous law, PA charged a slave bounty hunter with kidnapping and that law was overturned by SCOTUS, but Pennsylvania rewrote the law in the form of a non-cooperation act.

We added features from the 1847 law and also used the Tenth Amendment Center model legislation for guidance.
    I appreciate this extra insight.

Unable to rep.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    That all sounds good, Val, thanks for the work. I can't see the Dems or wolf going for it but that's OK, we have to try and maybe we'll get it later if the next election swings things our way.
    You are welcome. Let's get a recorded vote!
    Val W. Finnell, MD, MPH | Pennsylvania Director, Gun Owners of America | 703-321-8585

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    I appreciate this extra insight.

Unable to rep.
    My pleasure.
    Val W. Finnell, MD, MPH | Pennsylvania Director, Gun Owners of America | 703-321-8585

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LBaker View Post
    This will probably be the Senate version of this from Metcalfe... https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...&type=B&bn=357
    Just read the text of Metcalfe's bill. It's the same as the previous bill, so I guess he didn't adopt any of the Senate bill language that GOA drafted. While GOA certainly supports Rep. Metcalfe's bill, Senator Mastriano's is far more comprehensive.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456