Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Form 1 "Solvent Traps"

I've been meaning to get a couple of suppressors but not a fan of the long wait and paperwork. I know the longer I put it off the longer it'll take to actually get. I was checking out other options like the JK Armament suppressors that you finish on your own.

Just curious how that works exactly? Do I need to first buy the solvent trap then apply for a Form 1 or would I apply for the Form 1 then order the solvent trap once it's approved? Only real reason I'm asking about doing it this way is it's a 30-45 day wait vs. 6-9 months of waiting.

I've seen other threads about the FBI cracking down on these kits so that's why I'm thinking if possible I'd prefer to already have my Form 1 done and approved prior to buying so it doesn't look like I'm trying to illegally make an NFA item.

Side note - Has anybody bought and built one? Just curious how they compare to the different silencer companies in the market?

(Centre County)

Default Re: Form 1 "Solvent Traps"

AFAIK, you need to do the Form 1 first. That said, you can do the Form 1, make a copy to prove you sent it and then order what you want to build. Or order what you want and then immediately do the Form 1 while you wait for delivery. Any ATF agent can check and they would find that you have submitted the required paperwork. The biggest problem people have is that they buy the stuff at a gun show (or on line or wherever) and take it home and want to make it immediately and delay in doing the Form 1. Then they either brag about it or happen to be shooting it and just possibly a LEO who knows the law asks to see your approved Form 1 and you can't provide it. I carry CC sized copies of all my Form 1's and Form 4's in my wallet and full size copies in my range bag or the carrying case for the item. Just in case.

Also, I am not a lawyer, just a FFL/SOT who has dealt with the ATF for 32 years now (6 as an SOT).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

You can buy first at some places others require an approved f1 first (like quell tech) stay away from cheap Chinese kits or anything where the cups are center marked. You need to list the length on the form1 so if you wait to buy until its approved make sure you get good measurements from the seller. There is a form1 group on fb that has a list of vendors and lots of info on spacing,clipping,and building.

Thanks for the input, if I can do it in advance that's probably the direction I'd go. I was just confused if it had to be done after ordering but then I didn't want to end up on some list. I'll have to check into those groups and see what all is actually involved. I may just bite the bullet and buy one from a shop and hope my wait isn't super long.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    Thanks for the input, if I can do it in advance that's probably the direction I'd go. I was just confused if it had to be done after ordering but then I didn't want to end up on some list. I'll have to check into those groups and see what all is actually involved. I may just bite the bullet and buy one from a shop and hope my wait isn't super long.
    Brother, if you're not already on multiple lists you should be ashamed of yourself...