Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: HB - 451 Requiring 6 hours of Training by NRA Certified Instructorprior to LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    There are several states that require training, but I don't know of any that specifically require NRA training.
    Connecticut requires the NRA Basic Pistol Course for LTC.
    Sticks and stones will break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: HB - 451 Requiring 6 hours of Training by NRA Certified Instructorprior to LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by widgetman101 View Post
    In order to legally hunt you need to pass a hunter safety course. I agree with you that if things were simple it would just be constitutional and no licenses would be required. The reality is there's not a snowballs chance in hell of that happening.

The next best thing is a standard license that upon passing you'll be issued a LTCF that is valid in all 50 states no different than when you get your drivers license you're valid for all 50 states. If you can pass a background check and pass the class it's issued right away, no more waiting and no more character issues. I'd sacrifice 6 hours on a weekend to get that.
    Hunting isn't a constitutional right. It isn't enumerated, nor even mentioned otherwise as protected.

Hunting is a regulated privilege with the State retaining King's Right of all animals. We pay for permission via the license to harvest the animals.

Bearing arms is constitutionally protected, see the 2A and most state's respective constitutions. SCOTUS reaffirmed(from prior cases) in Murdock v PA Commonwealth that a right cannot be regulated into a privilege, nor be taxed or require a license/permit.

However, SCOTUS also ruled that carrying concealed could be regulated. But since a LTCF is required to carry openly in Philly and statewide during a SoE, requiring training would be excessive.

I wouldn't want to sacrifice 6 hours on a weekend, nor pay $100-200 for a class that isn't even available for 80 miles from my home. Nor should I be required to have such for something that I shouldn't need. This requirement is only a Death By a Thousand cuts method that anti-gunners practice. ...just a little at time to get you acclimated to stricter laws. Then will come another, and another, and another.

Just merely passing the background check on purchase should have been all the requirement needed to carry(US Govt's power to regulate interstate commerce).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by ray h View Post
    There are several states that require training, but I don't know of any that specifically require NRA training.
    Connecticut.. I know because I had to take NRA Basic Pistol (specifically required) to receive a non-resident CT Pistol/Ammo Permit.
    My GGG Grandpappy,front row (20th NC, Co. F.) and Family Circa 1900.

(Bucks County)

Needed even more: Legislators educated and trained on the subject of their proposed law before proposing said law. But I tilt at windmills. They would simply ignore the information they have been forced to endure.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Hunting isn't a constitutional right. It isn't enumerated, nor even mentioned otherwise as protected.

Hunting is a regulated privilege with the State retaining King's Right of all animals. We pay for permission via the license to harvest the animals.

Bearing arms is constitutionally protected, see the 2A and most state's respective constitutions. SCOTUS reaffirmed(from prior cases) in Murdock v PA Commonwealth that a right cannot be regulated into a privilege, nor be taxed or require a license/permit.

However, SCOTUS also ruled that carrying concealed could be regulated. But since a LTCF is required to carry openly in Philly and statewide during a SoE, requiring training would be excessive.

I wouldn't want to sacrifice 6 hours on a weekend, nor pay $100-200 for a class that isn't even available for 80 miles from my home. Nor should I be required to have such for something that I shouldn't need. This requirement is only a Death By a Thousand cuts method that anti-gunners practice. ...just a little at time to get you acclimated to stricter laws. Then will come another, and another, and another.

Just merely passing the background check on purchase should have been all the requirement needed to carry(US Govt's power to regulate interstate commerce).
    if the purchase is made entirely between parties within the same state is it still needed regulated under interstate commerce?
    would it not make more sense to apply that to actual interstate commerce like from manu to dealer or OOS sellers?
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    if the purchase is made entirely between parties within the same state is it still needed regulated under interstate commerce?
    would it not make more sense to apply that to actual interstate commerce like from manu to dealer or OOS sellers?
    Technically, under originalist interpretation, between private parties of same state - no. But a SCOTUS ruling expanded the Commerce Clause to include "effects interstate commerce" - which can open the door to "universal background checks". Something we don't want.

Most firearms made since 1938'ish have gone through a federally licensed FFL at some point in time.

Since the background check for purchases is for all intents and purposes the same as receiving a carry license in practically all states, that makes the point of a carry license an oxymoron. If you can own the gun legally, then your right to carry is also legit the moment you passed the background check to buy it. Creating additional bullshit requirements is just to make it harder to carry, and more expensive(to keep the poor from carrying). Mandated training is nothing by a Dog & Pony Show with you being the performing human.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Yep, Psych evals in the new law.....just like in CA now

TB605

(Chester County)

If you were in the military, YOU GOT TRAINED BY THE BEST!!!

Unhappy Re: HB - 451 Requiring 6 hours of Training by NRA Certified Instructorprior to LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by ideaman View Post
    If you were in the military, YOU GOT TRAINED BY THE BEST!!!
    If you got any training at all. I know Navy people in non-combat rates that never touched a firearm in their whole career. The 5 shots with a .22 converted 1911A1 in boot camp was it. Pistol/rifle qualifications were strictly voluntarily IF their command even got an ammo allotment and base had a range.

I understand that may have changed since I got out.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post

I missed where I had to do either to retain a right , maybe these fucks should revisit the term and how it applies.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast