Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (York County)

Default Re: Buffers...I’m confused

There is a hold drilled into the barrel. This hole is what allows gas to pass into the gas block. The diameter of that hole will determine how much gas is applied to cycling the BCG. You said your gas block was wide open which seems odd to begin with. It seems to indicate you are under gassed. If that hole is out of spec (under size) you would be under gassed form the get go. I think you use pin gage, where you find the largest pin that will fit in the hole and then measure it with calipers. A drill bit could work as well. https://forum.308ar.com/topic/15037-...338260243-etc/

Lol I know where it’s at, just wasn’t sure how I would measure.

This is turning into more reason to buy new tools (that’s never a bad thing lol)

The only way it will even cycle is if I open the gas block fully. Wonder if Tony gave me the wrong adjustable block at the Allentown show? I have another .750 non adjustable one here, I’ll try and swap that one over

(Bucks County)

If cycling is right at the cusp (wide open) then, in effect, it's acting like a non-adjustable block and in some circumstances, will be under gassed. That leaves two things needing determined...is the restriction the port in the barrel, or in the maximum open of the block.

I'd make a phone call to the barrel maker's tech at their customer service to answer the hole size question. Block maker too.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    If cycling is right at the cusp (wide open) then, in effect, it's acting like a non-adjustable block and in some circumstances, will be under gassed. That leaves two things needing determined...is the restriction the port in the barrel, or in the maximum open of the block.

I'd make a phone call to the barrel maker's tech at their customer service to answer the hole size question. Block maker too.
    No idea who made the block...it’s whatever Tony’s AR parts had in the bin at the Allentown show a few weekends ago.

I have a call into the barrel maker. It’s hit and miss with them right now.

Could very well be a combination of both issues

In other news, I emailed Slash/Clint from heavybuffers.com and he says it’s a conflict with the buffer and tube, that DPMS never used a 3.25” buffer in a 7” tube and that I need a shorter buffer. The spring in the kit, however, is the correct 308AR spring, but likely very weak
    Last edited by Woodwanderer; February 19th, 2021 at 12:21 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345