Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Buffers...I’m confused

Back to the H carbine buffer...Odin works is causing issues cycling a second round. Gun basically works as a single shot/bolt action with the gas block fully open.

Accurate as fuck though...3/5 of the last group are cloverleaf (last two are right above that, I pulled instead of squeezing)

Update:

Swapped out the buffer to 3.45oz. Rifle cycles 168gr nosler match grade hpbt but won’t cycle anything else. Only cycles with pmags, won’t cycle with the 5 round ASC steel mag.

Weirdest thing: I stacked a couple 150gr federal power shock beneath a single nosler. Cycled the nosler, one federal, then click - no round chambered. racked it again and it cycled the last 2 rounds of 150gr.

Also getting light strikes with ZQI and PMC 147gr m80 fmjbt. This gun does not like harder primers.

Gas block is still cracked wide open. Next step is to cut the buffer weight down to the lowest possible that the Odinworks buffer will allow (2.6oz I think). If that doesn’t fix the issue, I’ll swap out the gas block to a non adjustable and have my LGS ream the gas hole in the barrel a bit.

Pulled down 2 groups under a nickel in size (Damn close to being under a dime) @25yd. Excited to see what it does at 100+ yards.
    Last edited by HanzMcFeely; February 15th, 2021 at 07:58 PM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Woodwanderer View Post
    Update:

Swapped out the buffer to 3.45oz. Rifle cycles 168gr nosler match grade hpbt but won’t cycle anything else. Only cycles with pmags, won’t cycle with the 5 round ASC steel mag.

Weirdest thing: I stacked a couple 150gr federal power shock beneath a single nosler. Cycled the nosler, one federal, then click - no round chambered. racked it again and it cycled the last 2 rounds of 150gr.

Also getting light strikes with ZQI and PMC 147gr m80 fmjbt. This gun does not like harder primers.

Gas block is still cracked wide open. Next step is to cut the buffer weight down to the lowest possible that the Odinworks buffer will allow (2.6oz I think). If that doesn’t fix the issue, I’ll swap out the gas block to a non adjustable and have my LGS ream the gas hole in the barrel a bit.

Pulled down 2 groups under a nickel in size (Damn close to being under a dime) @25yd. Excited to see what it does at 100+ yards.
    I do not think ASC mags get good ratings. I am using CPD, Lancer and Magpuls. What exactly is it doing when it fails to cycle?

It’ll eject but won’t strip another round off the mag. Pmags work great unless I go below 168gr ammo. Locks open after last round, cycles semi auto.

ASC mags will run and lock open after last round, until I drop the mag and the bolt slams shut.

If I can’t get the ASC mags working, I’ll have to find another 5rd dpms pattern mag or pin a 10rd mag to 5rd. Only got them because I need them to hunt with.

(York County)

It*ll eject but won*t strip another round off the mag. Pmags work great unless I go below 168gr ammo. Locks open after last round, cycles semi auto.

ASC mags will run and lock open after last round, until I drop the mag and the bolt slams shut.

If I can*t get the ASC mags working, I*ll have to find another 5rd dpms pattern mag or pin a 10rd mag to 5rd. Only got them because I need them to hunt with.
    The weight of the bullet shouldn't matter. Does the bolt go over the next round and go into battery empty? I don't screw around with iffy mags, I throw them out! Unreliable gear is trash. Are you sure your gas block is aligned properly?

FWIW, if your smartphone video has a "slo-mo" feature, it's actually a high-speed camera of sorts and I've used
    mine to diag some issues by having someone slo-mo video the bolt during various firing tests.

I'm no 'smith, but it sounds like a bolt/BCG issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by RRHemi View Post
    The weight of the bullet shouldn't matter. Does the bolt go over the next round and go into battery empty? I don't screw around with iffy mags, I throw them out! Unreliable gear is trash. Are you sure your gas block is aligned properly?
    I tweaked the block a bit, reseated it. No change.

When I first started out today, I loaded 1 round of federal in. It struck but no bang. Heavy dent in the primer. Rechambered the round and bang.

Loaded 2 rounds. First on bang, ejected at 3 o’clock and it didnt chamber second one. This was all using the 3.8oz buffer that came with the lower kit.

Tore down, lubed the piss out of everything (half a bottle of hoppes no. 9), reseated the gas block and put it all back together. Still only cycled 1 round at a time.

Switched to nosler ammo and a pmag, Installed the odinworks buffer with steel and aluminum weights, and I’ll be damned it started working properly. Gunsmith at the range came out and suggested it was a gas block issue or buffer issue. Second guy there took video of it all, including the string of nosler/federal mix in pmag. It’s not short stroking from what he could see, but he sent the videos over to the smith to watch.

I’m gonna cut it down to no weights in the Odinworks buffer (comes in at 2.6oz then) and try again.

Nearest I can speculate is that by switching to 168gr nosler match grade ammo, the powder charge/pressure goes up in comparison to the federal 150gr, zqi 147gr, and PMC M80 147gr and it’s cycling the bolt faster/further back.

Another guy at the range suggested trying a different buffer spring

(York County)

I tweaked the block a bit, reseated it. No change.

When I first started out today, I loaded 1 round of federal in. It struck but no bang. Heavy dent in the primer. Rechambered the round and bang.

Loaded 2 rounds. First on bang, ejected at 3 o*clock and it didnt chamber second one. This was all using the 3.8oz buffer that came with the lower kit.

Tore down, lubed the piss out of everything (half a bottle of hoppes no. 9), reseated the gas block and put it all back together. Still only cycled 1 round at a time.

Switched to nosler ammo and a pmag, Installed the odinworks buffer with steel and aluminum weights, and I*ll be damned it started working properly. Gunsmith at the range came out and suggested it was a gas block issue or buffer issue. Second guy there took video of it all, including the string of nosler/federal mix in pmag. It*s not short stroking from what he could see, but he sent the videos over to the smith to watch.

I*m gonna cut it down to no weights in the Odinworks buffer (comes in at 2.6oz then) and try again.

Nearest I can speculate is that by switching to 168gr nosler match grade ammo, the powder charge/pressure goes up in comparison to the federal 150gr, zqi 147gr, and PMC M80 147gr and it*s cycling the bolt faster/further back.

Another guy at the range suggested trying a different buffer spring
    You should probably measure the gas port hole in your barrel. David Tubb has an interesting video about his flat wire spring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZQUYGbGmr4
    Not sure how good of a lubricant Hoppes #9 is, great bore cleaner. I soak all parts of my BCG in CLP or Slip 2000.

Quote Originally Posted by RRHemi View Post
    You should probably measure the gas port hole in your barrel. David Tubb has an interesting video about his flat wire spring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZQUYGbGmr4
    Not sure how good of a lubricant Hoppes #9 is, great bore cleaner. I soak all parts of my BCG in CLP or Slip 2000.
    I’ll make one more trip to the range this week after I field strip and deep clean again, and take all the weight out of the buffer. That’ll shave 1.2oz off and with any luck it’ll cycle lighter ball ammo.

I should clarify, I lubed with hopped no 9 oil, not cleaner. I have a dpms cleaning kit coming in the mail with their chemicals (claw and eradicat).

I did notice today after the last string of 7, there was a heavy smell of ammonia.

I also called the place I bought the barrel from, I’m going to verify with them that the upgraded barrel they sent me still uses a .750 mid length gas system. May see if I can pick up another gas tube also and attach it to my spare gas block (non adjustable). Recoil isn’t so bad that I need the adjustable buffer tbh. The comp takes care of a lot of it

(Bucks County)

DPMS cleaning kit?? That's your problem! Everybody knows DPMS is junk. Saw it on the 'net a couple of times. You didn't receive it yet, and already its gittin you.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast