Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default The 2A in a post-Obama America

1. What if Obama becomes President?

According to the polls, he’ll likely enjoy a democratic majority in both houses of Congress. Perhaps even a filibuster proof Senate. Will we see new energy and optimism by gun control advocates? Most certainly "yes".

But hey, we’ve had fourteen years to prepare since the AWB sunset in 2004 and to quote Col. Cooper, “I got mine”. That may seem selfish to some and I admit that it “is” given there are many young people who have just recently reached the age where they can legally purchase an EBR. However, I lived through the first AWB and I do “feel their pain”.

Would we be better off with a McCain presidency WRT the 2A? I think so. But an Obama presidency is a near term problem. The long term is much more dark and uncertain.

2. Does an Obama presidency really matter?

I don’t think so. If Obama engineers a successful first term in office he will most likely be re-elected to a second term. He does have “timing” on his side. The current financial crisis can only improve because it certainly can’t get much worse.

The war in Iraq-i-Stan will be winding down to a successful end and he will benefit from it even though he did everything a Senator could do to undermine the troop surge.

But the point here is the future beyond that of a two-term Obama administration. That’s eight years plus down the road. That’s 2016. But 2016 is a long way off. Or is it? To me it only seems like a couple of years since the Twin Towers crumbled to the ground but that was eight years ago. I think we need to begin to ask ourselves now if the 2A will still be regarded as “liberty’s teeth” in 2016 and beyond. I think maybe not.

Has anyone been following the technological advancements in high-tech, non-lethal weapons? And too there are advancements being made by leaps and bounds in the military foot soldier’s capabilities and weaponry (PDW’s with indirect fire capability, lightweight body armor and local “eyes and ears” intel, etc.). I foresee a day in the not too distant future wherein our EBR’s and MBR’s, 1911’s and glock’s, etc., will by and large be rendered ineffective. We might as well throw rocks. Or does anyone really think we’ll be able to walk into a gun shop in 2016 and buy a “plasma rifle in the 40 watt range”?

Eventually, the only “weapon” we’ll have at our disposal to maintain and safeguard our civil liberties will be the political system. Yes, I know it’s broken. But on the bright side there are no “technological” barriers to overcome. It’s a matter of grit and determination.

I’ve witnessed several stunning successes at the state level over the years through the tireless efforts of just a handful of people like Kim Stolfer and Harry Schneider (et al) so getting involved can indeed make a difference.

For example, if we’d start organizing “million citizen” marches I guarantee we’d have an impact on the political process. Large scale public displays of “we’re mad as hell and we aren’t going to take it anymore” will get the attention of all three branches of the Federal government as well as the “drive by” media.

The problem as I see it is that there is an amalgam of disparate “special interests” such as the pro-gun and anti-gun movements and the pro-life and pro-choice movements. We end up fighting with each other and prostituting ourselves with both political party's more than happy to "use us". But what we need first and foremost is a unified front to take our political system back from the political hacks. We can get back to battling each other afterward.

IMNSHO, mortgaging your home or financial future to stockpile weapons, “dope” and “beer” isn’t the answer. Taking to the streets in massive, non-violent protest is.

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default Re: The 2A in a post-Obama America

Does that mean I should stop stockpiling weapons, dope, and beer?

Seriously, I think you're right on the money Tony. I've been thinking alot about the onslaught we're about to be facing.

Basically,the question we all need answered is......

What can I do to help?

(Allegheny County)

Dude, this forum is for cat pictures and OC/CC debates. What's up with these great ideas?

Tony, good post and a LOT to think about. But from firsthand experience most gun owners are less than active....

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smith View Post
    But from firsthand experience most gun owners are less than active....
    This wasn't directed at just gun owners. No matter the issue, we all have a stake in "fixing" the system.

(Berks County)

As I have said before and I will say again if you want change then do the following:

1. Get ELECTED to ANY type of political office, from comittieman to dog catcher to constable to local council person.

2. Once elected get on the State Committe of the party of your choosing. I do hope thats the Repbulicans btw lol.

3. Once on the State Committe THROW out the current leaders and re shape it to a conservative pro 2a group.

The State Committe is the group that selects the canidates for the STATE WIDE offices. They also help in the election of the POTUS.

Network via the interweb with other like minded 2a conservatives and work with them to get them elected.

NOW GO OUT THERE AND TAKE BACK THE REPUBLICAN PARTY FROM THESE LIMP SPINED MODERATES AND GET THE PARTY BACK TO THE GOALS AND IDEALS OF RONALD REGAN.

This is how Regan did it....................

And one more thought....get as many people as you can to re register from democrat to republican. Barry will give you lots and lots of tools via his polices to help make that a reality.

Pity Party is over now go out there and stick it to these moderate weasels who gave us this mess to begin with.
    gotta love her ;)

(Chester County)

The last time there was an AWB, most of the dems that put it through lost their following re-election bids. I don't think the current group would vote for an AWB, especially in light of the recent heller decision.

I know some will try, but I'd be surprised if it ever got out of committee.

(Montgomery County)

There are alot of democrats who are winning in conservative areas. These are not your gun grabbers.

I repeat:

BEING A DEMOCRAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE ANTI-GUN.

We need to get the message out that all kinds of people enjoy guns, not just the stereotypes.

The best tool we have is education. Each gun owner needs to work to educate his friends and family about the issue. I know that my mom is beginning to change her opinion on CCW as I present her facts (like how VT allows open carry and they have low crime etc).

yes, there will be some we can't get to (IE, my room mate), but there will be alot we can.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by gprimr1 View Post
    There are alot of democrats who are winning in conservative areas. These are not your gun grabbers.

I repeat:

BEING A DEMOCRAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU ARE ANTI-GUN.

We need to get the message out that all kinds of people enjoy guns, not just the stereotypes.
    And being a Republican does not mean you are pro-gun, either.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Philadelphia County)

Tony thats a hell of a post.
    NEED should never enter into a discussion about RIGHTS

(Lancaster County)

Quote from Obama, word for word.

But when it comes to assault weapons, there it's just not clear, uh, what practical use, uh, anybody has for them other than, uh, potentially to perpetrate crime. Uh, and although it's true that, uh, the number of crimes that are committed with, uh, automatic weapons before the ban, uh, was relatively small, uh the the potential, uh, damage that's done - even if a a handful of individuals, uh, utilize assault weapons - is enormous. And and those are the kinds of tragedies, uh, that we can prevent, uh, with, uh, a well crafted ban.
    http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast