Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mauser I think

(Allegheny County)

Question Mauser I think

Hi fellows, I'm so screwed I don't know where to start. A relative brought to me a Mauser, maybe.? He said he took it to a gunsmith once and it passed the "go no go" gauges, but the guy was shutting down due to illness. My relatives said he bought some military surplus 8 mm brass case ammo, but when you put one in you can't close the bolt and the bullet is stuck inside the rifle. The only thing I see on a rifle is where the barrel Screws in it says 7939, and under that are to small letter "dd". Then on the receiver top there It says "dou." Then a little further back it says 44. I know it's not much to go on but I know as much about rifles as a pig knows about Shakespeare. Thanks again Joe
    Last edited by joeyj; February 8th, 2021 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Spelling

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Mauser I think

Pictures would help to ID.
    Open and remove the bolt 1st-
    You can use a wood dowl or cleaning rod to knock the bullet out, going in from the muzzle.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

The "dou 44" tells that it was made by Waffenwerke Bruenn AG, Werk Bystrica (Slovakia, then a part of Czechoslovakia) in 1944. Originally it should be a Mauser Kar98k. Maybe it was converted later by someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    Pictures would help to ID.
    Open and remove the bolt 1st-
    You can use a wood dowl or cleaning rod to knock the bullet out, going in from the muzzle.
    All the above !

(Lehigh County)

Did you put a cartridge in the chamber and try to close the bolt or put the cartridge in the magazine and feed it into the chamber that way? Be aware that Mauser claw extractors don't always "jump" around the cartridge rim if the cartridge is put into the chamber first and then the bolt is closed.

Also, Israel re-barreled many K98 Mausers to 7.62 NATO. However every gun that I have seen that was converted had a big ugly 7.62 stamped on the front receiver ring.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you, I'm impressed by your knowledge.
    I'm very suspicious of the ammo. On the box it says 7,9 mm. The only other things in English is M75, Also the head stamp says nny
    I measured everything with my digital calipers and the readings I got seemed to be higher than the dimensions listed for 8 mm. Now I'm more confused than ever. Normally I would go out and buy a box of cartridges, but between the virus, the cold, snow, I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for all your help, if you have any other ideas please let me know. Joe

(Lehigh County)

8mm Mauser is technically 7.92 so the 7.9 may be OK. The question is if your rifle has either been changed or has another problem. If you have done as suggested and removed the stuck round, while the bolt is still out, look down the barrel and point it toward a good light and see what the inside of the barrel and chamber looks like. If you could take some pictures it would be very helpful. Include all markings that you can see.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Bucks County)

7.9 M75 nny headstamp is Yugo 8mm Mauser ball ammo. Good stuff but corrosive primed.

How far is the round from being fully seated? Make sure the chamber is clean and not gunked up with crud or cosmoline.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Yes , 7.9 is the right designation for the 7.92x57 or 8mm Mauser. It's said when rifles were surrendered , bolts were removed and tossed on a separate pile. Many surplus Mausers imported after WWII were converted/rebarreled into more American cartridges. A pic of the barrel and any markings would help greatly. Not that it would apply to a rifle made in 1944 , but the 8mm Mauser round was introduced using a .318" dia round nose or "J" bullet. Shortly after 1904 , the standard round used a .323" dia spitzer or JS bullet.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by joeyj View Post
    Thank you, I'm impressed by your knowledge.
    I'm very suspicious of the ammo. On the box it says 7,9 mm. The only other things in English is M75, Also the head stamp says nny
    I measured everything with my digital calipers and the readings I got seemed to be higher than the dimensions listed for 8 mm. Now I'm more confused than ever. Normally I would go out and buy a box of cartridges, but between the virus, the cold, snow, I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for all your help, if you have any other ideas please let me know. Joe
    Please don't think I am being a wise ass but I'll ask again how you loaded the rifle. Many Mauser extractors have had the claw broken off by people dropping a cartridge into the chamber and then trying to force the bolt closed. Like I said before not all Mauser extractors will just jump over the rim of the cartridge. The extractor was made to feed from the magazine. The reason I ask again is if the bolt is push shut on a chambered cartridge and the extractor will not jump over the cartridge rim then the bolt will not close.

Regarding the ammunition head stamp I will agree with the other posters. Ten or so years ago Prvi Partizan was still using that head stamp on their ammunition sold commercially in the USA. Prvi Partizan ( PPU ) is regarded as high quality ammunition. I used to sell their M193 5.56mm by the case. I had one customer who would buy a case almost every other paycheck. I asked him what his goal for stockpiling and he said that the Prvi 5.56mm would consistently shoot 1 MOA out of his Remington 700 rifle.
    Last edited by guncrank; February 9th, 2021 at 08:42 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast