Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: SHTF Reloading Options

I've been wondering if there is any way to confirm or at least narrow down possible powders used in commercial shot shells.
    Since many or most shotgun powder is also pistol powder that would be a very useful tool for potentially repurposing powder.

Yeah I know all the reservations, warnings, but still in desperate times people will do desperate things.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I've been wondering if there is any way to confirm or at least narrow down possible powders used in commercial shot shells.
    Since many or most shotgun powder is also pistol powder that would be a very useful tool for potentially repurposing powder.

Yeah I know all the reservations, warnings, but still in desperate times people will do desperate things.
    The big ammo makers do not use 'canister-grade' powders sold to reloaders. They buy bulk 'lots' , which could be a ton or more , could be a railcar dry tanker. Might match up to a common powder , might be close but most ain't. They test it , and use accordingly..
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    The big ammo makers do not use 'canister-grade' powders sold to reloaders. They buy bulk 'lots' , which could be a ton or more , could be a railcar dry tanker. Might match up to a common powder , might be close but most ain't. They test it , and use accordingly..
    Yeah I get that.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

An experienced reloader could load any small capacity pistol cartridge (9mm,45,38 etc) with any powder from a shotgun shell. But he would need a chronograph to work up the load. They might even be able to do something like a full power 357 using the powder from a heavy magnum duck load. You can also use the powder to reload some cast rifle rounds but they would be way under velocity and at ~1200 fps max.

A pistol is the last thing I would want at the end of the world so how many rounds do you need. The world isn't a video game and you will not survive more than a few (at best) shootouts. A better option would be to take the shotgun shells, dump out the shot, and out 1 ounce of 00 buck in its place. Then you would have something extremely effective and all you would need is a buckshot mold and some lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    An experienced reloader could load any small capacity pistol cartridge (9mm,45,38 etc) with any powder from a shotgun shell. But he would need a chronograph to work up the load. They might even be able to do something like a full power 357 using the powder from a heavy magnum duck load. You can also use the powder to reload some cast rifle rounds but they would be way under velocity and at ~1200 fps max.

A pistol is the last thing I would want at the end of the world so how many rounds do you need. The world isn't a video game and you will not survive more than a few (at best) shootouts. A better option would be to take the shotgun shells, dump out the shot, and out 1 ounce of 00 buck in its place. Then you would have something extremely effective and all you would need is a buckshot mold and some lead.
    You might if you have pistol caliber carbine length long guns.

ETA:
    Also a very good point regarding the buckshot. But you need do make do with what you got. Maybe you have the buckshot, maybe someone else has some .38 caliber stuff lying around.
    Last edited by God's Country; February 8th, 2021 at 08:56 PM.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

You might if you have pistol caliber carbine length long guns.
    Can't argue with that........

And here is other thing you could do with your recycling shotshells idea. The shell had lead too so just melt the shot down and cast your bullets. For each shell you should have enough lead / powder to reload 2-3 pistol rounds. So all you would need are the primers.

As for the primers this is an extreme idea so don't try this at home! What would happen if you drill out the rifle /pistol primer pocket and put in the 209 shotgun primer? You will have problems on small cases and higher pressure rounds but something like this might work with a single shot, revolver , or bolt action. You would need the primer fully supported so autoloaders are probably out.

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Can't argue with that........

And here is other thing you could do with your recycling shotshells idea. The shell had lead too so just melt the shot down and cast your bullets. For each shell you should have enough lead / powder to reload 2-3 pistol rounds. So all you would need are the primers.

As for the primers this is an extreme idea so don't try this at home! What would happen if you drill out the rifle /pistol primer pocket and put in the 209 shotgun primer? You will have problems on small cases and higher pressure rounds but something like this might work with a single shot, revolver , or bolt action. You would need the primer fully supported so autoloaders are probably out.
    Nice!
    For the record I've already decided any homemade primers would best be suited for wheel guns....lol Got it all worked out.
    FUCK BIDEN

I want to make my own tracers but haven't had any luck with the ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I want to make my own tracers but haven't had any luck with the ingredients.
    Tracers work both ways!

Used to be ads in Gunlist for brass and bullets (ball , AP and tracer) ''pulled down'' from surplus USGI ammo.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Tracers work both ways!

Used to be ads in Gunlist for brass and bullets (ball , AP and tracer) ''pulled down'' from surplus USGI ammo.
    I can get tracer bullets for rifles, but not pistols without paying a buck a round.
    I'd like to make 9mm and .45

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast