Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Ready To Load Or Am I?

Well, cleaned some brass today. Four hours in my FA vibratory bowl. Capful of NU-Finish and some cut up used dryer sheets. The sheets wrap around the center bolt but they seemed dirsty so they much have done something? Crazy how they just wrapped around it no matter how many times I plucked them off of it.

Okay, so setting up my dies tomorrow I hope. We will see. Anyway, I get that and think I have overasked questions so I have that covered, crossing my fingers. ;-)

However, hung up on OAL. I am going to try Titegroup. 115gr, 9mm. Plated bullet, likely a Berrys. I have a case gauge to check regularly of course however, I see so many values. I see 1.09 in Lyman and 1.125 in Hogdon. Both are for JHP 115gr which was the best I could find. Lee says 1.1 for lead 115gr. I know one of the great people here suggested 1.135 for this load. So, what is it? I know, plunk test and all that but can't there just be a happy medium? If it is slightly below the end of the gauge, it should chamber in all guns I am told. Thoughts? Another one of my I'm stuck on this. I thought I could set up my seating die once and lock it in but will I have varying lengths for every gun I use? That is frustrating! I mean, whether it is 115FMJ or plated, all are RN so they should all be set the same?

Also, I am thinking 3.9 start, 4.3 max. Again so many different sources have differing values but seems that is the safe range from what I read and have been answered here. Thoughts? Hogdon says 4.3 to 4.8 for 115 JHP which seems high. And they say 1.125.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Ready To Load Or Am I?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Well, cleaned some brass today. Four hours in my FA vibratory bowl. Capful of NU-Finish and some cut up used dryer sheets. The sheets wrap around the center bolt but they seemed dirsty so they much have done something? Crazy how they just wrapped around it no matter how many times I plucked them off of it.

Okay, so setting up my dies tomorrow I hope. We will see. Anyway, I get that and think I have overasked questions so I have that covered, crossing my fingers. ;-)

However, hung up on OAL. I am going to try Titegroup. 115gr, 9mm. Plated bullet, likely a Berrys. I have a case gauge to check regularly of course however, I see so many values. I see 1.09 in Lyman and 1.125 in Hogdon. Both are for JHP 115gr which was the best I could find. Lee says 1.1 for lead 115gr. I know one of the great people here suggested 1.135 for this load. So, what is it? I know, plunk test and all that but can't there just be a happy medium? If it is slightly below the end of the gauge, it should chamber in all guns I am told. Thoughts? Another one of my I'm stuck on this. I thought I could set up my seating die once and lock it in but will I have varying lengths for every gun I use? That is frustrating! I mean, whether it is 115FMJ or plated, all are RN so they should all be set the same?

Also, I am thinking 3.9 start, 4.3 max. Again so many different sources have differing values but seems that is the safe range from what I read and have been answered here. Thoughts? Hogdon says 4.3 to 4.8 for 115 JHP which seems high. And they say 1.125.
    Hopefully not, one standard OAL for all your ammo to fit any gun is the goal. May only change it for a different bullet profile...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post

Yes.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Hopefully not, one standard OAL for all your ammo to fit any gun is the goal. May only change it for a different bullet profile...
    Changing the COAL of a recipe from a manual will change the chamber pressure and bullet velocity, possibly to a dangerous level. I'm using the COAL for a particular bullet or equivalent, and only adjusting the COAL downward as little as possible if it's too long for my gun, and checking the velocity to make sure it's in the ballpark.

(Blair County)

lube cases dillon has a spray one
    look for military brass they need a lower charge
    lee manual has a lot of odd bullets and powders

(Berks County)

Reloading pistol calibers are not benefiting from bench rest rifle techniques. Pick your oal that feeds properly in all your guns and go with it for each style of bullet so you only change the seating die and stem when you change bullets. Youll be changing charge weights and maybe powders also.

Mostly if it looks right your in the ballpark. More important is making sure its tight enough to not change while being fed.

Relax.

Dont run all your brass before trying a sample. Run 10, maybe 20 and shoot them to be sure. Pulling mistakes sucks.
    The Gun is the Badge of a Free Man

I use the Berry's plated RN in 115 and have a round that functions and shoots well in my 9mm handguns. I won't state my formula because as Scruff and G&W said above, you have to find what works best for your handguns. And the best advice was G&W's loading of 10 + to function test and shoot for accuracy in all you choose to shoot them from. Once you find that, then cut loose. You are fine with TiteGroup. That is what I use with the Berry 115 plated RN.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

(Lancaster County)

Cut your dryer sheets into small squares 1"-2" and they will swim around happily and collect all the dust and contaminants in the media

(Allegheny County)

I shudder when I read new loaders are using tightgroup in 9mm.
    It is literally the worst powder to start with.
    Maybe its all that's available and we got extra fingers anyway. IDK.

Any powder with a half grain max to min screams stay away.

I think you all are worrying way too much about 9mm. I started with Titegroup and it's all I use. Probably loaded and shot at least 50k rounds over the last 10 years. OAL I just measured one of my WWB rounds and used that length. I think it was 1.150 if I remember correctly. I use whatever piece of crap brass I can find. Dented, dirty, corroded they all work fine as long as they aren't cracked. I never trim cases or check case length. I don't care if the brass is shiny, I run it about an hr in my tumbler and that's it.

The things I worry about are double charging a case or not dropping powder at all. I use a powder cop die and have a light on my press. I always look inside every single round I load to double check it has powder. If the OAL and the powder charge is within the recommended values of your reloading manual it's good. Just make sure they fit your chambers and if you're really worried get a case gauge. With the Lee FCD I have never had a single round get hung up feeding into any of my pistols and I never use a case gauge. Loading this way, all my rounds are USPSA and plate rack accurate.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast