Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ruger American Rifle opinions?

Anyone have a Ruger American Rifle, and what do you think of it? I was thinking of maybe getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor primarily for longer range target shooting now and then. I know, now is a hell of a time to try to get 6.5 ammo, nothing is cheap and frequently isn't even available. My dad and I used to reload .38 and .357 back in the 80s, so I could just amass all the needed items and load my own ammo if it were a better deal. But from what I read, even finding empty cases and primers is a bit of an issue.

But for now, I'm considering the options to make the best purchasing decision.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Ruger American Rifle opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by timk225 View Post
    Anyone have a Ruger American Rifle, and what do you think of it? I was thinking of maybe getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor primarily for longer range target shooting now and then. I know, now is a hell of a time to try to get 6.5 ammo, nothing is cheap and frequently isn't even available. My dad and I used to reload .38 and .357 back in the 80s, so I could just amass all the needed items and load my own ammo if it were a better deal. But from what I read, even finding empty cases and primers is a bit of an issue.

But for now, I'm considering the options to make the best purchasing decision.
    I have the 22 rimfire version. It is okay. The stock isn't very good. I'm not a fan of those goofy inserts for open sights vs optics. The optics height cheek weld is uncomfortable and just feels cheap.
    I can't speak to if the stock is the same on the centerfire Models.

Also, not sure if the center fire models have this either, but they're is a distinct ringing in the stock after firing from something in the bolt.

I don't know what your budget is or how far you are looking to shoot. Longer range could mean 300 yards or 1200 yards to different people.

Anyway, the Ruger American rimfire (again, my experience is with the rimfire) wouldn't be my first pick bolt action if i were doing it again.

-Zach

I have the American Predator in .308 and an American Ranch in 7.62x39. Both are excellent rifles and shoot lights out even with cheap ammunition.

There’s a few corners they cut since these are budget rifles and one is the stock. While they are completely serviceable they leave a bit to be desired. Good news is there are several aftermarket offerings including from Magpul. If I could do it again I would buy both again the only change would be I would get the 6.5 over the .308. There are plenty of videos showing good shooters shooting stock 6.5 Americans out to 1000 yards and further with good hits.

I got the compact 308 and love it. Accuracy is hands down better than my R700 aacsd 308. I need one in 223 and 762x39.
    Last edited by Normlizer; February 8th, 2021 at 12:20 PM.

I have a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel. It is accurate but I filled the stock's fore end with epoxy to stiffen it up but still free-float the barrel and added some weight to the buttstock to balance it out. I also had to use ASC mags. Even the one that came with it wouldn't feed the Grendel shells. (The Grendel uses AR mags). I honed the feed ramps to get better feeding but the bolt's action is just plain shitty. And it took 100+ shots to settle the POI down to under 1 MOA at 100yds or less. Again, it's a very accurate rifle but...................you get what you pay for. You can add an after-market stock, etc but if you look at the total costs, I would choose something else in a Creedmore offering. I bought mine because of the caliber only and the price point difference between the Howa mini and CZ in 6.5 Grendel. You have many choices in a 6.5 Creedmore. Choose wisely!
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

I*ve got the Predator in 308, the Mrs has a compact in 7-08. They are both Proverbial Tac Drivers. For the money, I doubt you will find a better rifle and a company that stands behind them, should ever need service.

(Montgomery County)

That crazy thing is you can get MOA rifles for $400 these days. The American is certainly not a bad option. However I'd take a close look at the Savage 110 tactical model in 6.5.

I have Predator rifles in 223 and 308, and Ranch rifles in 350 and 450.

Obviously I like these rifles. They are great rifles for cutting brush and a long day hunting on the move. They are short, handy and lightweight without noticeable recoil. The 450 came with a comp and I.added a hybrid FH/comp on the 308.

I have not really wrung them out for accuracy, but the 308, 350 and 450 accuracy is very adequate for hunting. I have the 308 scoped with a 1-4× LPVO; the 350 and 450 are scoped with Aimpoint Pros waiting on an upgrade to LPVOs.

350 and 450 turn out 2-3 inch groups at 100 yds.

The 223 is used as a training rifle and shoots very reasonable accuracy with 55 and 62gr surplus 5.56, using a 4-12x Nikon scope. The 223 shoots 1-2" groups at 100 yds with surplus ammo.

The 308 holds acceptable accuracy with XM80 and hunting ammo, but I haven't seen group size shrink appreciably with match ammo. The limiting factor maybe me, or more likely the LPVO. The 308 shoots 1.5-2.5 inch groups at 100yds

I will admit I consider the stock durable, but more flexible than I would like.

Compared to my kid's Savage 110 in 243, I think the Rugers excel more at being quick to shoot and better to carry, I think the Savage is a bit more accurate and more suited to stationary hunting and longer shots. The Savage shoots 1-1.5 inch groups at 100 yds with a Nikon 3-9x scope.

But thats just my opinion.
    YMMV

I have two. One in .223 and .308. The .308 is still NIB, but if it shoots as well as the .223 I will be pleased. For a $400 out of the box trigger it's pretty clean.
    FUCK BIDEN

I found this over at ar15.com. Maybe one day i'll invest in some iron sights for my 308. I have no affiliation with this company i just though it was cool. https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry...ch/245-297913/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast