Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Ruger American Rifle opinions?

I have two, the rimfire version for demonstrating .22 suppressors and a Ranch in .300 Blackout. I left the stock alone on the .22 and replace the Ranch stock with a Boyds thumbhole laminated stock. Really looks good and shoots superbly.

Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I have two, the rimfire version for demonstrating .22 suppressors and a Ranch in .300 Blackout. I left the stock alone on the .22 and replace the Ranch stock with a Boyds thumbhole laminated stock. Really looks good and shoots superbly.

Awesome looking Ruger there Xring !!!

(Mifflin County)

I have all three of the rimfires 17hmr , 22 and 22mag and a 223 ranch . Only problem was with the Ranch the flush mount mag would just fall out of the gun . You may just fire the gun and the mag would hit the ground . So a call to ruger and a new mag was sent to me at no cost . I was also told by the cust, service person that the mag well could be swapped out to accept ar mags . But it was not free if I recall $24 bucks . This new mag so far has been staying put. Ruger no longer offers the model I have , only the ar mag version , that tells me they got a lot of complaints . But other than that no problems and can say they all shoot great !

(Allegheny County)

Speaking of magazines, I thought the only option was the 4 round rotary magazine, but the above post speaks of swapping out a mag well part and I can use AR15/M16 magazines? With 6.5 Creedmoor shells? I have a few 20 and 30 round M16 magazines from my days in the Army, they have been sitting in a box for many years.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by timk225 View Post
    Speaking of magazines, I thought the only option was the 4 round rotary magazine, but the above post speaks of swapping out a mag well part and I can use AR15/M16 magazines? With 6.5 Creedmoor shells? I have a few 20 and 30 round M16 magazines from my days in the Army, they have been sitting in a box for many years.
    You may have misunderstood my post . Originally Ruger made 2 versions of the ranch 556 one with a flush mount 4 round mag , and another with Ar style mags. They no longer make the flush fit 4 rd mag guns only the ar style . The model number is #26985. And they will shoot commie ammo , if you want to use it. It states it in the owners manual berdan primed , steel case , no problem! I shoot good ammo in mine but who knows in the future ! Hope this clears it up for you

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by timk225 View Post
    You may have misunderstood my post . Originally Ruger made 2 versions of the ranch 556 one with a flush mount 4 round mag , and another with Ar style mags. They no longer make the flush fit 4 rd mag guns only the ar style . The model number is #26985. And they will shoot commie ammo , if you want to use it. It states it in the owners manual berdan primed , steel case , no problem! I shoot good ammo in mine but who knows in the future ! Hope this clears it up for you

The 6.5CM is a much longer case than the .223 and the 6.5 Grendel. Both these calibers run in AR's so that is why Ruger designed their offerings to accept AR mags. It is trial and error to get many of these to work well though a break-in helps. I changed out my factory stock for an OEM stock I bought online and that did the trick. Same factory POS stock but when paired to my barreled action using the same Ruger torque settings, it fed much better.
    Accurate rifle but the quality control is so so. You get what you pay for.
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

This guy has several vids of him shooting his Ruger American Predator 6.5 CRM at 1000+ yards.

I believe many of the newly manufactured Rutgers work with Magpul AI mags now using the standard stocks.

(Cumberland County)

I have 2. 5.56 and 7.62x39 both in the ranch version with 16.25" barrel. The 5.56 one takes AR mags and the 7.62x39 one takes Mini-30 mags. Both are very accurate even using cheap ammo. The stocks are pretty flimsy but there are some things that can be done to stiffen them up like adding epoxy to the forend and adding marine foam to the back. Both add a little weight but make them feel much nicer. I like both rifles very much and would recommend them to anyone.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast