Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

Default Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

Greetings.. are there any laws that prohibit the owning OR carrying of a fixed double edge blade?

thanks

(Berks County)

Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

Not state laws.

ianal
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    Not state laws.

ianal
    I read into it a bit before posting.. and I did notice that some local laws could apply depending on where you are... but it definitely looked like at least possession in the home was well within the law.. unless I am missing something.. it looked like automatic knives are the only knife that is a no go.. there have been come great law discussions here so was just looking for any additional feedback..

thank you for your response..

Don't know about other big cities , but in Philthadelphia , it is illegal to carry ANY type of blade.

No 'pre-emption' in PA when it comes to blades. Local gov't are free to pass any silly laws they want.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by vladtepes View Post
    I read into it a bit before posting.. and I did notice that some local laws could apply depending on where you are... but it definitely looked like at least possession in the home was well within the law.. unless I am missing something.. it looked like automatic knives are the only knife that is a no go.. there have been come great law discussions here so was just looking for any additional feedback..

thank you for your response..
    My understanding is that, in PA, automatic knives are allowed to be owned but not carried
    When unholstering your sidearm it is customary to say: "Excuse me while i whip this out"

(Lancaster County)

I believe the gray area here is that a double edged blade may or may not fall under this depending on the situation.... and who is choosing to interpret it.

§ 908. Prohibited offensive weapons.

Any dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, . . . or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

(Allegheny County)

The legal term I was thinking of is the "curio exception" which essentially should allow any of the above items to be owned for a collection. The wording on it is unfortunately very grey and applicable case law using it as a defense appears to be basically nil.
    When unholstering your sidearm it is customary to say: "Excuse me while i whip this out"

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    I believe the gray area here is that a double edged blade may or may not fall under this depending on the situation.... and who is choosing to interpret it.

Any dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, . . . or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    What about lawful self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post

Huh, I think I've been misreading this statute for years, as I had been under the impression that all "daggers" (e.g. blades sharpened on both sides) or possibly any knife designed with self-defense in mind are banned as POWs, whether they are "exposed in an automatic way [...]" or not. That doesn't appear to be the case because this interpretation would obviously also ban all knives, which it surely does not.

However, I believe the catch-all "or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose" has been used to screw people before too, even though "self-defense" ought to be a common lawful purpose.

That whole Article 1, Section 21 "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." thing seems appropriate here too.
    I am not a lawyer.