Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    central, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    2585662

    Default Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

    Greetings.. are there any laws that prohibit the owning OR carrying of a fixed double edge blade?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    I live in a van down by the river, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Age
    21
    Posts
    1,434
    Rep Power
    21474847

    Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

    Not state laws.

    ianal
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    central, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    224
    Rep Power
    2585662

    Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

    Quote Originally Posted by donotknowme View Post
    Not state laws.

    ianal
    I read into it a bit before posting.. and I did notice that some local laws could apply depending on where you are... but it definitely looked like at least possession in the home was well within the law.. unless I am missing something.. it looked like automatic knives are the only knife that is a no go.. there have been come great law discussions here so was just looking for any additional feedback..

    thank you for your response..

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Penn area, Pennsylvania
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,223
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

    Don't know about other big cities , but in Philthadelphia , it is illegal to carry ANY type of blade.

    No 'pre-emption' in PA when it comes to blades. Local gov't are free to pass any silly laws they want.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    645243

    Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

    Quote Originally Posted by vladtepes View Post
    I read into it a bit before posting.. and I did notice that some local laws could apply depending on where you are... but it definitely looked like at least possession in the home was well within the law.. unless I am missing something.. it looked like automatic knives are the only knife that is a no go.. there have been come great law discussions here so was just looking for any additional feedback..

    thank you for your response..
    My understanding is that, in PA, automatic knives are allowed to be owned but not carried
    When unholstering your sidearm it is customary to say: "Excuse me while i whip this out"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Where the amish roam, Pennsylvania
    (Lancaster County)
    Posts
    2,305
    Rep Power
    18496117

    Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

    I believe the gray area here is that a double edged blade may or may not fall under this depending on the situation.... and who is choosing to interpret it.

    908. Prohibited offensive weapons.

    Any dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, . . . or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Somewhere, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Age
    38
    Posts
    246
    Rep Power
    645243

    Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

    The legal term I was thinking of is the "curio exception" which essentially should allow any of the above items to be owned for a collection. The wording on it is unfortunately very grey and applicable case law using it as a defense appears to be basically nil.
    When unholstering your sidearm it is customary to say: "Excuse me while i whip this out"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Belly of the BEAST, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    1,717
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

    Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    I believe the gray area here is that a double edged blade may or may not fall under this depending on the situation.... and who is choosing to interpret it.

    908. Prohibited offensive weapons.

    Any dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, . . . or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    What about lawful self defense?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Ercildoun, Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    4,509
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

    Daggers or blades sharpened on two sides are legal according to PA Law but you never know what will happen. If asked tell the officer the blade isn't longer than your John Thomas so it must be legal. Automatic knives are illegal under PA law but that could also include assisted opening knives to some officers. In other words knife laws in PA are purposely vague and that squares with the Constitution never.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    48
    Posts
    19,209
    Rep Power
    21474870

    Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Daggers or blades sharpened on two sides are legal according to PA Law but you never know what will happen. If asked tell the officer the blade isn't longer than your John Thomas so it must be legal. Automatic knives are illegal under PA law but that could also include assisted opening knives to some officers. In other words knife laws in PA are purposely vague and that squares with the Constitution never.
    Correct. In many states, daggers and other double-edged knives are illegal just the same as "switch blades". PA law requires that the blade open automatically.

    However, there is a catch-all with the "or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose" clause. ...which has been used to criminalize possession of a double-edged dagger-like knife once(that I know of). It was within the last 20 years, the knife had a T handle with the shank of blade going out between the index and middle fingers to the blade itself. I think it was applied to some other exotic looking knives as well in other cases(brass knuckle finger guard with spikes).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J.

    Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTS Strider Fixed Blade Knife
    By TonyF in forum General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: July 13th, 2007, 05:25 PM
  2. WTS Strider Fixed Blade Knife
    By TonyF in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 24th, 2007, 10:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •