Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: GMRS 2021

(Delaware County)

Default GMRS 2021

I found a few old confusing threads on GMRS. I betting there may be outdated material in those threads.

Anyway, I've been interested in walkie talkies, GMRS, for a while now, but all the technical stuff literally fries my brain, I'd never be able to get a ham license as a result. I've used CB's radios for 30+ years and have listened to police/fire/etc scanners for about the same amount of time. I used to be able to manually program a scanner back when they, and radio systems, were basic and simple. Today I use a program and the Radio Reference database, again, turns into mumbo jumbo now without the program.

My interest in the GMRS is simple, to talk (pretty much) locally in places where mobile phone service is nearly non existent. For instance when we'd visit my father in law (RIP) in the mountains mobile phones were nothing more than paper weights. It would be nice if we had some walkie talkies for instance when wifey would talk the dogs for a walk. She would take a nice long walk and if something happened she had no way of letting us know. Another would be using them instead of a phone if we had taken both vehicles somewhere, we wouldn't be talking the entire time but if a quick question/comment came to mind as we traveled it would be easier than getting out the phone dialing etc. I have a CB in my Jeep but wifey is not interested in one for her vehicle.

What I need help with is what brand/model radio should I get that is ready to use out of the box, but, if I ever got the brain cells to work, would be customizable in the future, if there is such a thing. I'm not interested in a base unit at this time, just two hand held radios that realistically cover a few miles in a suburban or mountainous area. I know I wouldn't get the 35 mile range some advertise, don't see us climbing two mountains to get that range, but if in perfect conditions they could get 35 miles, maybe in real conditions they can get a few?

I have applied for, and paid the $70, for a ten year GMRS license recently.

Thanks in advance for your opinions, thoughts and ideas.

Bill

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: GMRS 2021

This was posted in the CB Radio thread back in October

https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/cb-repla...wo-way-radios/

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    This was posted in the CB Radio thread back in October

https://jeepjamboreeusa.com/cb-repla...wo-way-radios/
    Thanks. I was hoping for personal experience.

That link is basically a commercial for a Midland Mobile GMRS radio with a mention of a Midland handheld.

"
    Midland Radio Corporation is the official 2020 communications sponsor of Jeep® Jamboree USA."

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    [COLOR=#008080][SIZE=4][FONT=comic sans ms]Thanks. I was hoping for personal experience.
    My brother (RIP) and I used these (the Midlands) when deer hunting. We just used the default channel 1. Turn it on. Push to talk. Decent range. However we didn't realize there were higher power channels.

Past few years wife and I took 2 cars to the beach and would use those to chat on the way. Work great. No programming just turn on the unit and push to talk.

Also didn't realize the FCC license requirement.

(Montgomery County)

Baofeng

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    Baofeng
    Not without a license and they can't be used on FRS, GMRS, or MURS frequencies.
    Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I think "can't" is the wrong wording. "Shall not, as per FCC regulations" is more appropriate.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by lager1829 View Post
    My brother (RIP) and I used these (the Midlands) when deer hunting. We just used the default channel 1. Turn it on. Push to talk. Decent range. However we didn't realize there were higher power channels.

Past few years wife and I took 2 cars to the beach and would use those to chat on the way. Work great. No programming just turn on the unit and push to talk.

Also didn't realize the FCC license requirement.

This is basically what I'm looking at them for, simple, somewhat close by stuff. Not really looking at these for a SHTF senerio.

From all the reading I've been doing, and frying my brain, if you were on a low power channel you were probably using an FRS channel, if the radio had both FRS & GMRS frequencies, which it looks like the Midlands radios do. FRS does not require the license.

I don't really understand the license requirement though, pay a fee, no testing, seems like a money grab to me. Plus, I paid $70 for the license a couple days ago. Since then, I've read the fee may be going down to $35 real soon.

(Allegheny County)

Sure they can.

Legal use is a different issue - at least in the US.

(Montgomery County)

Maybe you should read the second to last sentence in the original post before acting like a know-it-all.

This was meant to sound as condescending as your post was.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast