Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Was ask to leave the polling place

I was ask to leave the polling place when I started to talk to another person about the McCain signs being stolen in the town. Was told you can't talk politics in the polling place................ In all my years even working the polling places I've never heard of this I know you can't tell anybody how to vote or push a candidate in the polling place but to talk about signs being stolen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Was ask to leave the polling place

So did you leave or make a stand?

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    I was ask to leave the polling place when I started to talk to another person about the McCain signs being stolen in the town. Was told you can't talk politics in the polling place................ In all my years even working the polling places I've never heard of this I know you can't tell anybody how to vote or push a candidate in the polling place but to talk about signs being stolen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you voted!

DC

(Bucks County)

I think a discrimination lawsuit is in order. Can't talk politics ?? What about all the ass hats throwing brochures in your face ??
    I'd like to see that statute !!! No doubt it would be true if Ohat wins.

You're not allowed to talk politic INSIDE the voting area, depends on who's defining INSIDE....Technically you arent supposed to have any political buttons or shirts or hats on either.

They didn't say anything to me about my sportsmen for mccain hat. They didn't say anything to the people with obama pins or the people with the "support our troops" shirts.

Some places are just being stiff it seems.

(Chester County)

Where I voted they had a sign that said campaign workers had to remain more than 10' from the enterance to the voting room. They remained outside the entire building where I was, though.

One thing that struck me as odd....the room where the ballots were cast in, was essentially a church (in an old folks home). I wouldn't have thought you could have crucifix's on display there during its use today. Just didn't strike me as appropriate.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    I think a discrimination lawsuit is in order. Can't talk politics ?? What about all the ass hats throwing brochures in your face ??
    if anyone is throwing brochures in your face *inside* the polling place, they are breaking PA law.

outside is a different story.

(Montgomery County)

they were correct in asking you to leave the polling place itself if you were discussing anything political involving candidates in todays elections.

the polling place is for voting only, do your vote, get out, THEN yap about political issues.

1. only actual voters(and thier helpers) and poll workers may be IN the actual polling place itself, and technically under the law, its only 10 voters at a time. you have 3 minutes to vote.

2. all other persons must stay at least 10 feet from the polling place. (When i was a constable of elections, i counted the polling place as the actual ROOM where the machines are. Campaign workers and all other persons I prohibited from coming within 10 feet of the door.)

3. All police officers, armed or not, in uniform or not must stay at least 100 feet from the polling place unless actually voting, or perfomring LEO duties.

4. you cannot wear hats, buttons, shirts, stickers, other campaign related materials advocating any candidate for todays elections or campaign or actively discuss political issues WITHIN the polling place.

the above is PA ELECTION LAW

if you were actually IN the room with the machines discussing political issues regarding the current candidates, they were entirely correct in asking you to stop, or requesting you to leave the polling place.

maybe folks need to learn about the Election Laws here.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lehigh County)

There was a sign in my polling place that read " No talking on your Cell phone
    - By order of the Judge" .... I thought that was kinda interesting. The sign was in the room previous to the room you voted in. Not that I had a problem with it. I think people that are standing in public lines shouldnt really be yapping on the phone anyway, polling place or not. JMO.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    The law sets a prescribed distance from booths or entrance against those electioneering. So they can throw brochures in your face, but they can only do so in certain areas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast