Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Smith and Wesson "Pinto" 9mm and 38 super revolver

Many moons ago I had a Smith and Wesson 940 which is a centennial J frame revolver which hold 5 rounds as any other J frame Smith, But in 9mm with a moon clip,
    Im a J frame fan and have one with me most times,
    With some measurements and help from a reaming company I was able to construct what I call a Smith and Wesson 3640.
    This is a 940 cylinder direct from Smith and Wesson, Then I sent out to have reamed to accept the 9x23 and also 38 super, The modded cylinder will accept 9x19, 9x23 and 38 super all with mood clips,
    The cylinder length is the same as an earlier prelock model 36 which I was able to pick up reasonable as it was finish worn,,, I also bought a 940 barrel off Ebay as I wanted the "Pinto" look, Keep in mind the 38 special and 9mm use the same bore, SO I could have left the model 36 barrel in place....
    This was a bit of work, But it tuned out wonderfully and fires the above rounds accurately and with no issues.
    Ive put the 9x23 and 38 super thru it sparingly as the recoil is stout with them, Yet it seems to handle them fine,
    Yes you may yell at me and quote the pressures are too high or I built a time bomb, Yet were about 500 rounds into this build and it shows no stretching or flaws of any kind,
    Stay well and Enjoy 2021,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pred; February 7th, 2021 at 09:15 AM.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson "Pinto" 9mm and 38 super revolver

Very nice! I doubt there are any serious dimensional differences between any of the J frames so if they can handle .357 Magnum pressure, why not 9mm or .38 Super? I hope you enjoy them for years to come!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Smith and Wesson "Pinto" 9mm and 38 super revolver

as we have discussed before, very well done... I am currently building a Taurus 856 conversion to 9mm... if this works out, it will be the perfect carry revolver for me. Always wanted a compact 6shot 9mm revolver and the 856 is as compact as 6shots gets...

BTW - I have successfully identified a moonclip that will work, which was the hardest part