Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Erie County)

Default Re: Am I allowed to gift my 26 year old stepson a pistol and rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    You can gift your car to a homeless stranger. And it would be the same transaction type. Last I checked auto transfers are regulated by the ATF.
    True. What I was eluding to is that many government entities recognize the step-member as immediate family.

I was just saying it's worth checking out. It saved us a lot in transfers/taxes, and inspection requirements in several states.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SevenMilePete View Post
    You can gift your car to a homeless stranger. And it would be the same transaction type. Last I checked auto transfers are regulated by the ATF.
    To be fair, intrastate firearm transfers aren't either. The PA legislature is solely responsible for this lack of recognition of step-family members.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    Take the gun and your step son to a gun shop. Transfer it there via PICs ect and it's out of your name and into his on the PSP handgun registry . Problem solved. Your step son will also get an education on how to legally sell a handgun in PA.
    Easy way for pistol, no need to mention the long gun to anyone.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Cite me when a cop was ever disciplined for getting a gun off the streets. Double it for a doctor disciplined for a false 302.
    THIS IS SO TRUE.

Most mental health crisis workers are extremely incompetent and don't know a damn thing about what the law actually says. Also the part on the MH-783 (Petition for involuntary examination and treatment) where it says "Making false statements in this petition is unlawful and may result in criminal prosecution" Has never dissuaded anyone. I would bet that not a single person since July 9th, 1976 has been convicted for knowingly and intentionally making a false statement in a 302 petition even though it happens EVERY SINGLE DAY. Also, Doctors need to be educated on what are valid, lawful reasons for involuntary commitment and what are not. Doctors also need to have the stones to stand up to snobby rich suburban parents who want to use mental hospitals as babysitters for difficult, bratty, disrespectful, etc teenagers and say "Your child does not qualify for involuntary commitment under the mental health procedures act of 1976. Please leave." instead of just signing the paperwork for anything. Also, Doctors need not worry about their noncomittal resulting in any liability. 50 PS 7114 specifically says that a Doctor who refuses to involuntarily commit someone CANNOT be held responsible for any of the actions of the decision to commit or to NOT commit the person. Doctors just need to get some stones and learn how to say no.

I would know since it happened to me and I had to spend $5000 to get my rights restored.

Rant over.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    That doesn't appear to be emphasized in training, and frankly I wouldn't expect it to be. We have too many laws. I know the ones I find interesting, I couldn't give you an outline off the top of my head of current bankruptcy laws or child custody rules or discovery rules in anti-trust litigation or maritime rules applicable in rivers near the ocean, or thousands of other quirks and rules and conflicting statutes.

Of course, I also don't have the opportunity to arrest people and confiscate property without checking with anyone who is certain of the relevant laws. In fact, I've heard stories of cops calling the duty sergeant who calls the on-call ADA who then gives them incorrect versions of the statutes.

We have too many laws, that's the problem. Look at the current crimes Code for PA and tell me how long it would take you to memorize that, plus the Vehicle Code, and the current list of controlled substances, and the woke rules for dealing with BLM riots.

It's a tough job. The system should factor that in more than it does, there should be more safeguards, so that I don't end up at another prelim because the wife was driving the car and the cops found a gun that tracked back to her husband, a current PA LTCF holder. At least that PA State cop was separated from the force, but not for that blunder.
    Which is why the statement that "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" is total BS anymore. When lawyers don't even know all of the laws how could some normal schmoe know them. Justice really is dead in the US.

(Allegheny County)

When I die my step son will need to sell my house just to pay for the Transfers

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    The cop who pulls the kid over will only know 2 things: What the date is today, and that the guy he stopped is not the guy the dispatcher just mentioned.

If you end up facing a judge (probably to get the gun back), what evidence do you have of the 2 structured transfers? The burden is on you in a return of property hearing, to establish that you're entitled to possession, which probably includes a showing of lawful acquisition.
    Becuse we are guilty until we can prove our innocence?

Seems about par.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    Becuse we are guilty until we can prove our innocence?

Seems about par.
    There are 2 similar hearings: You can file for "return of property", in which case as the moving party you have to prove entitlement to the property; or the govt can open a case for "forfeiture", in which case they have to prove that the property is contraband of some sort. The burden of proof is initially on the moving party, but then the burden can shift.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234