Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: S&W vs Ruger ...

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I'm a Ruger fan, collect the older Six serries revolvers (Security Six, Police Service Six, and Speed Six) and also display them at gun shows that the Ruger Owners and Collectors Society (ROCS) gets invited to. I also have a pretty good stable of GP100's from the early ones until now.

I will grant the the S&W's will absolutely beat the Rugers out of the box for trigger pull and finish, but you can clean the Rugers up so that they will nearly match the Smith's in both catagories. If you are going to shooth magnums a lot, the GP's strength will always beat the Smith's. If only shootig them once in a while, it really is a toss up but the Ruger doesn't have a lock on it.

Either one will do you and future generations what you want it to do.
    I agree the Ruger is a solid handgun and generally less expensive than a Smith, however, Henry Bowman couldn*t wear out an L frame shooting magnums.

(Bucks County)

Trigger on target range= a consideration.

Trigger during a SHTF= trigger?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

But the Smith is full of those dreaded MiM parts that will fail when your life is on the line!

And the Ruger is full of those brittle , porous investment cast parts that everyone said will break.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    But the Smith is full of those dreaded MiM parts that will fail when your life is on the line!

And the Ruger is full of those brittle , porous investment cast parts that everyone said will break.
    Not if you buy a pre-lock 686.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Bucks County)

Lucky me. I have one. I use it as a cane, too.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Trigger on target range= a consideration.

Trigger during a SHTF= trigger?
    A good trigger makes it easier to keep the sights aligned, or where it was pointed. The case can be made that a good trigger is even more important during self defense encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    A good trigger makes it easier to keep the sights aligned, or where it was pointed. The case can be made that a good trigger is even more important during self defense encounters.
    During a high-stress , life-threatening encounter , it's unlikely you will even notice the feel of the trigger. Ever notice it , or the muzzle blast or recoil during a hunt?
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Everyone keeps saying that S&W triggers are better than Ruger's, but my 2yr old 10mm GP100 has a better trigger than all of my Smith's, save for my 325TR. The GP100 isn't even a Match Champion, the 325TR is a Performance Center gun. My dad's 35 year old GP100 has the smoothest trigger I've ever felt on a revolver. Never had any work done to it, just has thousands and thousands of rounds through it. I just picked up a model 19-3. The gun is 47 years old and I wouldn't describe the trigger as great. It has the target trigger with the grooves, which I hate. I'm sending it off to have the trigger face rounded and smoothed, and a proper trigger job done.

I like Ruger revolvers more than S&W. S&W tend to be prettier, but I've never had a Ruger give me problems. Can't say the same about a couple of my S&W's. Others will say the opposite. It all depends on the luck of the draw. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, ultimately. If there's a problem both companies will do their best to make it right.

(Allegheny County)

I had the Ruger GP100 3" sent back in twice as it wouldn't shoot straight It has no adjustable sights so i think that sucked about it - got a 6" as a replacement instead.

I also have the S&W 60 - 3" and not fond of the adjustable rear sight as its a blade style which is not comfortable carrying.

For carry, the S&W 60- 2 1/8" is good

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    During a high-stress , life-threatening encounter , it's unlikely you will even notice the feel of the trigger. Ever notice it , or the muzzle blast or recoil during a hunt?
    Not noticing does not change the mechanics of the pull.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast