Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: AK Riveting

(Centre County)

Default AK Riveting

Any one here have the tools to set new rivets on an AK? Anyone fairly close to State College that would like a one time job of doing it?

I have a customer who bought an AK that was/is a "project" gun and basically all the rivets need to be removed and replaced. He is getting the rivet set and wanted me to do it but I do not have the tools and will not buy the tools to do it as I really don't work on AK's and can't justify the cost.

That said, if it can be EASILY done without a hydralic press and pneumatic tools, let me know what is needed, especially for those that are on the inside of the receiver and then I might think about it. I have hammers that will put the heavy blow on whatever but I don't know what kind of rivet punches or whatnot is needed to do the job properly.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

north central keystoner land, Pennsylvania

Default Re: AK Riveting

I just dealt with this dilemma in November. I have a pile of AK parts kits I bought 15 years ago at gun shows and never got around to actually doing a build. with the current ridiculous prices on gunbroker I sold a few and kept a few over the past couple months. I asked around to guys I knew that have done them in the past and nobody seemed willing to lend them out, so I went to harbor freight and bought the bolt cutters put the jaws to the bench grinder and made my own. on the second to last rivet I snapped one of the jaws off, but I was able to grind a new one from a chunk of flat stock I had laying in the garage.
    to be honest I wasn't looking to go this route and didn't want to make the $20 investment in bolt cutters or the time to make them, but in retrospect it took me maybe 15 minutes to grind the initial jaws down. I'd loan you mine since I'm not far from SC, but I doubt your customer would be happy with the quality of the rivets since I didn't do the greatest job making the dimple for the rivets. It doesn't bother me that they are all mangled since I have zero intentions of ever selling the ak I built and I'm more into function over looks.
    I guess the point I'm getting at is if you have the time, just grab a set of bolt cutters if it comes down to it. it's a smaller investment and easier to toss into a dark corner than a press and the jigs.

(Centre County)

I actually saw on a site (don't remember which one, have to look again) that they sold replacement jaws for bolt cutters to do this. Apparently they are ground and shaped to properly set the rivets. Not sure it it has two different places (for the front and rear rivets and the small rivets on the side. Guess I'll look at it closer. Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; February 3rd, 2021 at 03:43 PM.

The rivet jaws only do the short rivets like on the front trunnion. Most rear trunnion useblong rivets and take a different setup to crush properly. You need to press the barrel out to properly crush the front rivets so imo if you dont have proper tools pass the job on to someone else.

(Centre County)

^^^ This is just now what I found out. Neat tool, But $70 plus the cost of the bolt cutters. Then, as you said, you start to get into the more specialized tooling to do the center and rear rivets. Cost is way too much for me for doing what would probably be a one time job.

Soooo, I need to find someone who has the proper tooling and wants the job.

Most reputable ak Smith's are backlogged on builds months to years..... maybe refer him to akfiles and find a friend with tools