Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Loadable Brands

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Loadable Brands

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Of course it’s reloadable. It’s a different process with different tools required.

But you’re right that it can’t be reloaded with equipment designed for boxer primers, and should be avoided.
    The only difference is removing your decapping pin from your resizing die.

No big deal because I deprime and clean all my brass anyways before it reaches my press.

Soon for instance I am prepping some 7.62 NATO for the press. I will resize the berdan and boxer brass at the same time.

For rifle brass I don't prime on the press anyways so with all primers I seat them by hand. The only thing is that the anvil is on the brass so you need to take more care seating the berdan primers. But it's not a big deal.

All other loading processes are the same.

I just made a video for Youtube about a week ago all about reloading berdan primers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toCmTLtmvjw

I saw online a lot of folks pole vaulting over mouse turds about berdan primers and then learned to do it myself and found it was a total non event.

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Also, If the brass looks like this, maybe pass on reloading it.
    Good pics posted. Since we seem to be expanding topic into rifle brass I'd like to make a PSA for someone unaware.
    Checking rifle brass for possible case head separation. Tool needed is a bent paper clip. Slide the paper clip inside your case to check for thin spots.
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...spot-problems/
    Awhile back I got some "once fired brass" that looked great. Skipped my usual recheck and this is what happened:
    P1010023.jpg
    Had to knock what was left of the case out of the chamber. Play safe!
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Carbon County)

Those are two of the dumbest posts in this thread. The original poster is NEW to reloading. Why don't we just jump right into making up hard to get cases from other cartridge cases?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    Also, If the brass looks like this, maybe pass on reloading it.

2021-01-31_09-51-14 by poofy27, on Flickr
    You see now that is something I get! That's easy for a dope Ike me to comprehend lol!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Those are two of the dumbest posts in this thread. The original poster is NEW to reloading. Why don't we just jump right into making up hard to get cases from other cartridge cases?
    I take it all in but as a new guy, sometimes I feel like I will never do it right. Every time I turn around there is something that I never heard of that I need to be careful of.

Today I read that FC rifle brass is not reloadable because it is too thin and will separate. But small letter is okay but not big letter? WTF does that mean? Now, I am not even thinking about rifle at this stage but I read that and I am like what the heck? I never heard that before. Then I see here that different rifle cases have different volumes which I get but now is it a different load for LC vs. FC vs whatever? I am talking straight 223 or 556 (bad example as I know those two differ but lets just say Winchester vs. Pefecta for the sake of argument), not like 30-06 or 308. Wowza, I am ready to give up!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    If you're referring to my post I disagree.
    It is a basic technique mentioned in the beginning chapters of many reloading manuals.
    Learn from my mistake if you wish.
    I do apologize for contributing to the tread drift away from pistol brass.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Allegheny County)

The point I was trying to make was case inspection, particularly with range pick up brass.

I couldn't find some examples of pistol case failures so wanted to show failures (easily seen) and more subtle failures like the 30-30 and the 30.06 next to it ( numbers 4 and 5 left to right).

I only reload .357 sig, .38, .357 mag, 10mm, 41 and 44 mags.

Once I inspect my brass after tumbling with a low power magnifue. I will use the smaller higher power magnifier to differentiate from scratches and splits.
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

I had a few case head separations with 1x fired 223/556 Winchester brass. I just toss winchester 223/556 brass in the scrap bin now. wcc nato head stamp around the 09 year
    Last edited by Normlizer; February 6th, 2021 at 07:15 AM.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I take it all in but as a new guy, sometimes I feel like I will never do it right. Every time I turn around there is something that I never heard of that I need to be careful of.

Today I read that FC rifle brass is not reloadable because it is too thin and will separate. But small letter is okay but not big letter? WTF does that mean? Now, I am not even thinking about rifle at this stage but I read that and I am like what the heck? I never heard that before. Then I see here that different rifle cases have different volumes which I get but now is it a different load for LC vs. FC vs whatever? I am talking straight 223 or 556 (bad example as I know those two differ but lets just say Winchester vs. Pefecta for the sake of argument), not like 30-06 or 308. Wowza, I am ready to give up!
    Don't give up, just slow down a little. Concentrate on one caliber until you get more comfortable with it. Reloading has come a long way. Check your fired brass. It will tell you a lot of what is going on or if there is a problem. I have worked on guns 40+ years and I can tell you reloading has caused more problems than it ever solved. It works and is great but you have to pay attention to what you are doing.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    If you're referring to my post I disagree.
    It is a basic technique mentioned in the beginning chapters of many reloading manuals.
    Learn from my mistake if you wish.
    I do apologize for contributing to the tread drift away from pistol brass.
    Not you, the berdan primer posts. The new guy is confused enough without throwing more (Worthless) information at him.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast