Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Loadable Brands

(Berks County)

Default Re: Loadable Brands

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    One trick with the media is to get a 5 gallon bucket and a cheap collar store plastic colander that can fit in the top. The colander should have holes large enough so the media easily passes thru but small enough to hold the cases. When you are done tumbling pour everything out and shake / move around the cases will they are empty. I pour the media back in the tumbler. Even though it is a little more work I always pour the media outside so the dust doesn't go everywhere.

Another trick is to buy some Nu-finish car polish in the orange bottle and add half a cupful every few tumblings. It works as good or better than the commercial polishing compounds and is a fraction of the price.
    I got a colander and a stock pot at the Goodwill so I am already set for that and I do add the Nu-Car to my media. 10-4! I tumble in the garage due to dust/lead. Empty it out there too to be safe.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    Another trick.
    Used dryer sheets in the media will cut down on dust and help keep the media clean. Cut it into four pieces and place in media.
    The used ones will have any coating worked off of them and the fabric will be opened up to catch more dust.
    Actually any tuft of paper towel will work but many prefer the dryer sheets.
    Discard after use.
    What if I used new dryer sheets? You only use them once? Maybe new ones you could use a few times?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I got a colander and a stock pot at the Goodwill so I am already set for that and I do add the Nu-Car to my media. 10-4! I tumble in the garage due to dust/lead. Empty it out there too to be safe.
    Empty it outside, preferably in a spot with a slight breeze away from you and your home. If you empty it in the garage, that dust stays there and gets inhaled and tracked into the house.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    Empty it outside, preferably in a spot with a slight breeze away from you and your home. If you empty it in the garage, that dust stays there and gets inhaled and tracked into the house.
    I get you, will do!! Do you tumble inside or outside? It would be on my bench in the basement or in the garage.

(Clarion County)

What if I used new dryer sheets? You only use them once? Maybe new ones you could use a few times?
    "The used ones will have any coating worked off of them and the fabric will be opened up to catch more dust."
    Using a bargain bin dryer sheet I noticed an almost waxy coating on them. Found used ones preferable.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

I get you, thanks!

north central keystoner land, Pennsylvania

Unpopular opinion and I wouldn't suggest doing it until you feel comfortable in your reloading abilities, but over the years from time to time during brass scarcity I've turned to reloading steel cases. Mainly .223 but also .45 Best part I've found with steel case is I don't have to trim it. I lived in Nevada for years so I could find piles of steel cases in the desert with no rust and I picked it up with one of those magnets on a stick from harbor freight. I only reloaded it for plinking ammo and typically never used it more than once. But wolf is boxer primed so I figured why not.

(Bucks County)

I get you, will do!! Do you tumble inside or outside? It would be on my bench in the basement or in the garage.
    My tumbler has a plastic lid with a thumbscrew fastener, so it’s essentially sealed. I fill it outside the garage with medium and brass, close it up, then I then run it in the garage. I’d do that outside too but I don’t want nosy neighbors wandering over to see what’s humming.

Also I use disposable gloves loading and unloading the tumbler. Eliminate inhalation or skin contact with the dust.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by frankski View Post
    My tumbler has a plastic lid with a thumbscrew fastener, so it*s essentially sealed. I fill it outside the garage with medium and brass, close it up, then I then run it in the garage. I*d do that outside too but I don*t want nosy neighbors wandering over to see what*s humming.

Also I use disposable gloves loading and unloading the tumbler. Eliminate inhalation or skin contact with the dust.
    That's my plan and I have the same type of tumbler. Thanks!

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I've been using a tablespoon of car polish every few batches, and that seems to keep the dust down. No problem dumping the tumbler in the basement. The RCBS tumbler has a lid that fits tight. The lid also has a dense polyurethane foam coating on the underside, similar to the soundproofing on the outside of the tub of my Bosch dishwasher. That seems to keep the sound down. It's much quieter than the Cabelas tumbler that I had.

The car polish also lightly lubricates the pistol cases. I know they say you don't need to lubricate pistol cases in carbide dies, but they run through resizing dies very easily with the polish.

If you have a lot of dust, maybe it's time to change your media.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast