Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Loadable Brands

(Berks County)

Default Re: Loadable Brands

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Don't give up, just slow down a little. Concentrate on one caliber until you get more comfortable with it. Reloading has come a long way. Check your fired brass. It will tell you a lot of what is going on or if there is a problem. I have worked on guns 40+ years and I can tell you reloading has caused more problems than it ever solved. It works and is great but you have to pay attention to what you are doing.
    Yes, I got you. Thank you again to everyone for all of the help. I am only working on one caliber at a time but I guess as I see these things posted elsewhere I have questions and that*s why I bring it to everyone. it*s like everything else, whatever you choose to do someone else is going to have an opposing view. Or a reason not to do that or buy that or whatever. I*ll focus on 9 mm for now. Watch out for the steps in the cases. Don*t load if they have a canna lower. Look at the brass closely make sure there*s no cracks splits or anything. There*s a couple of brands you can*t reload because of the cannelure or because of the steps I got that.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

I am curious however about what I said about the 223 and FC cases and the volume differences. Any opinions on that?

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Not you, the berdan primer posts. The new guy is confused enough without throwing more (Worthless) information at him.
    I think he can manage. The forum is all about exchanging information and not just helping the OP but others. I started with nothing and figured it out. If it makes your eyes burn go elsewhere.

(Bucks County)

When I sort 9mm I put 50-100 on a flat bench neck size up. Then using a ruler heard them all so they are all touching and look like a beehive. You can decide what shape is best but they all need to be touching. Look at the case mouths from the side and you will almost always find some .380's that are 1mm shorter and some 9x18's that are 2 mm shorter. Then take a flashlight and look in all the cases to pick out the cases with a step. I usually load the mix as is but if I have a hotter load I will go thru the headstamps and use the Federal cases. You can decide what brass you want to reserve for max loads but Federal is good brass and it is plentiful in range mix.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I think he can manage. The forum is all about exchanging information and not just helping the OP but others. I started with nothing and figured it out. If it makes your eyes burn go elsewhere.
    Certainly there is a lot of information and I am processing it

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I am curious however about what I said about the 223 and FC cases and the volume differences. Any opinions on that?
    Directly addresses the volume differences. But read the whole thing.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/cart...guides/223rem/

(Berks County)

I*ll read but what about the FC cases?

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    I*ll read but what about the FC cases?
    I’m not sure what you’re asking. FC is Federal Cartridge. The article includes Federal in the analysis.

Also, at the risk of info overload, be aware that Lake City is a federally owned plant operated by contractors. At various times, Lake City brass may have been made by Remington, Federal, Winchester, and possibly others, I don’t keep track exactly.

So you might have brass made by Federal under the Federal head stamp, or with the LC head stamp as contractor for the gummint.

If nothing else, what you should takeaway from the article is the sense of precaution regarding variable case volume both between and within headstamps.

That said, start with straight wall pistol brass, ideally good old low pressure .38 special. When you feel you’ve mastered sizing, decapping, primer seating, powder measuring, and bullet seating, then move on to rifle.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Step off, homeboy.

(Berks County)

This is the thread I read it in

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/-...age=1#i5464334

Also, I will not touch rifle I promise until I have straight walled under my belt. I promise! Just asking as I see this stuff.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast