Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Loadable Brands

(Washington County)

Default Re: Loadable Brands

One thing to watch for with Blazer 45acp brass is that some uses small pistol primers instead of large pistol primers. I know when I get one of those in my press. Full stop.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    One thing to watch for with Blazer 45acp brass is that some uses small pistol primers instead of large pistol primers. I know when I get one of those in my press. Full stop.
    Yes. A full stop with a loud crunch......followed by some choice words. What were they thinking? Whoever came up with this needs at least a good tar and feathering. I will even pitch in the feathers.

(Berks County)

Just curious on that. for 45 (which I am not reloading at the start, starting with 9mm to learn), small or large, are both fine or is one preferred over the others?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Berks County)

By the way, can*t make that noise go away still. Loaded up with the oil and everything, maybe it just needs to be broken in for sometime?

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Just curious on that. for 45 (which I am not reloading at the start, starting with 9mm to learn), small or large, are both fine or is one preferred over the others?
    Large primers were the standard for 45 ACP for most of it's life. The small primer thing is fairly new. But... since you are doing 9mm which is small primers, you may like them. Another consideration is small primers seem to be in shorter supply than large, and you may want to save them for your 9mm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    By the way, can*t make that noise go away still. Loaded up with the oil and everything, maybe it just needs to be broken in for sometime?
    When you have completed a thousand rounds and it is still there, then we can revisit if it is serious...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Berks County)

You all are the best here thank you so much! now I have a whole new set of concerns Cannelures on the brass. steps on the inside of the brass. Different case capacities. off-center flash holes on perfecta. Man oh man! More I read the more confused I get unfortunately.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    As far as brass goes I keep track of the brass I use. One type of brass I learned to never reload is Federal pistol brass that has a cannelure in the case. Throw that brass into your no good brass pile. It will rip along the cannelure at some point after one to three reloads, take my word on that. When you could buy Federal brass it doesn't have the cannelure it was only used on factory loaded brass.
    Never seen a cannelure on a .45 round, actually looked it up to make sure it was what I thought it was. I have a boat load of Federal American Eagle brass in the red boxes that I've been reloading for years, but I'd also just pickup a couple or six if they happened to have it out on the floor in front of the counters when it was $15 bucks or so. I've also got Winchester, UMC, Fiocci, I generally keep the brands together.

(Washington County)

I come across so few 45 small primer cases that I put them in a tub off to the side for a rainy day. Powder charge may vary slightly if I did load them. Havent looked into it.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Tioga County)

I come across so few 45 small primer cases that I put them in a tub off to the side for a rainy day. Powder charge may vary slightly if I did load them. Havent looked into it.
    Same here, I probably have a couple hundred, they are there if I want to bother with them. I bought some Blazer Brass years ago in bulk and didn't realize it was all small primer 45.

(Berks County)

Hopefully it will make sense for me someday lol!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast