Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Remington 870 police magnum: mini-shell adapter?

Looking for an adapter to facilitate the use of Aguila mini-shells on the 870 we use for home defense. My wife can't handle full loads of anything worthwhile for home defense. She had no problems with my friend's shockwave running minishell adapter. I believe Opsol has a mossberg adapter but I couldn't locate one for Remington models.

Is my Google Fu weak or do they not make anything to ensure minishells feed properly?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Remington 870 police magnum: mini-shell adapter?

Have you considered loading some powderpuff loads with 2.75" shells?

You could cut the shotcup to same length as the mini-shells, the add in an extra wad or so to make up the difference, and accompany it with a lower powder charge.

OR, just use standard shotcup & wad, but use a lower shot weight similar to mini-shells and use a lightweight filler in the shot to fill the cup. Cream of wheat or a similar filler would work.

That above wouldn't require one of those gimmick adapters that dont work all that well anyways.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Paul Harrell says there are no adapters made for short shells in the Remington 870. Skip to 14:00 in the video. It might be a better option to either teach your wife to shoot a 12 gauge using lower recoil 2 3/4 shells like a Pheasant hunting load with #6 shot (Remington green and White box low brass) or possibly find a 20 gauge shotgun and use #4 buckshot. Mossberg does offer the Shockwave in 20 gauge but it may be very difficult finding one thought during this National emergency of the communism insurgency. President Potato Head might also sign a turn in your firearms Executive Order any day now in exchange for someone changing his diaper.

Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Beaver County)

The lifter design of the 870 doesn't allow for any such adapter that I'm aware of to be used. My wife shoots mini slugs with the Opsol adapter in the 500 she claimed from me for fun but if we ever needed our guns at home, she's shown preference to my Grand Power Stribog or her Beretta 92A1. That doesn't mean it's unreliable with the adapter or ineffective though, she just likes those guns better. What kind of recoil pad setup do you have? If you've got a factory standard rubber brick on there then no shit she doesn't like it. If it's a Limbsaver already and it's still not for her, I think your wife should consider another caliber (20 gauge or a PCC perhaps) or you should buy her a Mossberg so she can use the adapter. Assuming you can find one.

(Delaware County)

Guess this idea is DOA. Looks like I'll just have to buy her a shockwave. I mean, I tried to find a solution. And it looks like the solution is a new shotgun.

Oh, golly.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by M404 View Post
    Guess this idea is DOA. Looks like I'll just have to buy her a shockwave. I mean, I tried to find a solution. And it looks like the solution is a new shotgun.

Oh, golly.
    You might be able to find one of those Mossbergs in 20 gauge used pretty easily. Remington is pretty scarce right now. They won't be back in production until March.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC