Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Do any of you use a laser training system?

The next system arrived yesterday. It is laser ammo's system which uses these https://www.opticsplanet.com/laser-a...AIMTT-I-MTTS-3 interactive targets.

The itarget pro laser was still in my pistol. I set up the targets and not really anything happened with the targets. I thought this could be a possibility so i had ordered the laser ammo sure strike cartridge as well. It is very expensive but it's clearly different in appearance.

With the laser ammo cartridge, everything works as it should. The different modes and up to 10 targets functioning together is going to make this thing a lot of fun.

I like the chase the ball function a lot. This definitely cost more than the itarget pro system. But it serves kind of a different role. More tactical if that makes sense.

It doesn't really matter where you hit the target or how good your grouping is with this system.

I like that all of the targets comes with 4 different targets to choose from. So a 3 pack of the targets have 12 cards included.

Maybe I'm easily impressed, but so far, i really like both systems a lot. I'm a little bummed the lasers won't work interchangeably. But I'm also not surprised.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    The next system arrived yesterday. It is laser ammo's system which uses these https://www.opticsplanet.com/laser-a...AIMTT-I-MTTS-3 interactive targets.

The itarget pro laser was still in my pistol. I set up the targets and not really anything happened with the targets. I thought this could be a possibility so i had ordered the laser ammo sure strike cartridge as well. It is very expensive but it's clearly different in appearance.

With the laser ammo cartridge, everything works as it should. The different modes and up to 10 targets functioning together is going to make this thing a lot of fun.

I like the chase the ball function a lot. This definitely cost more than the itarget pro system. But it serves kind of a different role. More tactical if that makes sense.

It doesn't really matter where you hit the target or how good your grouping is with this system.

I like that all of the targets comes with 4 different targets to choose from. So a 3 pack of the targets have 12 cards included.

Maybe I'm easily impressed, but so far, i really like both systems a lot. I'm a little bummed the lasers won't work interchangeably. But I'm also not surprised.

-Zach
    And...i broke it.

The cartridge began to get less bright pretty quickly and then nothing. From my uninformed view, it looks like whoever epoxied in the electronics didn't do a good job and the laser isn't getting powered. That was fun while it lasted.

Now to see if laser ammo takes care of me without a huge hassle or if I return the entire system.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

And...i broke it.

The cartridge began to get less bright pretty quickly and then nothing. From my uninformed view, it looks like whoever epoxied in the electronics didn't do a good job and the laser isn't getting powered. That was fun while it lasted.

Now to see if laser ammo takes care of me without a huge hassle or if I return the entire system.

-Zach
    AND... One of the targets broke.

I decided to read the fine print on the laser targets interactive targets to see if they should work with any old laser.

According to their documentation, i didn't need any special laser. So i loaded batteries back into one of the targets and shot the sensor directly. Sure enough, it beeps.

I put the target backer back on the target and try. Nothing. I try a few different angles and eventually after 15 or 20 shots it registers. Not ideal.

I think, maybe in a dark room? My house is too bright during the day. But i load batteries back into all 3 targets. Only, now, one of them has a bunch of flashing lights in the wrong color.

The manual says this might happen with dead batteries. I check the batteries with my volt meter and all are above 1.5v.

At this point, both of the laser ammo products failed with under 30 minutes on them. It is such a shame since they were the most expensive product i bought and i was really excited about them the most.

I cannot recommend them due to quality control issues. I packed them both back up and got an rma and shipped them in about as much time as it took for them to break.

Laser ammo might have great customer service, but I'm not going to hang around waiting to find out.

Next up is the mantis laser academy. It was supposed to arrive today, but i think it is actually going to get here on Monday or Tuesday because of the Philadelphia post office.

-Zach

(Philadelphia County)

I'm sorry to hear the Laser Targets Interactives didn't work. I've been eyeing them for a while, but I'd heard they were fiddly with lasers other than their own, and that expense along with their own expense has kept me from getting them. What I especially liked about it was it seemed be be easy set up and configure.

Have you tried LASR? At https://lasrapp.com/

I've used the classic version a fair amount. It gives a lot of options/configurabilty, but it can be a bit of a pain to set up. The classic version only ran on a computer/laptop/Tablet Computer (I don't think IPad), and needs an external webcam. I was lucky enough to have a computer set up where I was going to use it and a webcam, so that wasn't additional cost. ($120 lifetime--with about $30-40 in "add-ons" that are necessary to fully enjoy). I like it, but requires overcoming some inertia to set it up to use.

They have since moved to offer a new version (LASRX), which can work not only on computers, but will also work on phones/Ipads. I haven't really played around with it, but they offer different pricing models $9/month, ~$60/yr or $120 lifetime -- again needs $30 in upgrades. Also offer additional cost to let 2 or more computers to network together, either for multi-room/angle shooting or multi-person. Does NOT need a webcam for phone/ipad use--does need it for computer/laptop. Worth the $9 to check it out on a phone/Ipad (or computer if you already have a webcam). I haven't really played with this much--still requires same amount of set up--but has the ability to do a fair amount more than most Iphone app-based systems.

For revolvers, rather than having to get 6 bullets, try the Laserlyte universal - https://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-UNI.../dp/B010FMFRLO. It goes in the front of the barrel (and sticks out), and fits from .380 to .45 calibers. It is sound activated, and worked pretty well (a few missed shots, but not excessive). I prefer a dedicated "laser bullet" for autos, as they were generally more reliable. $99 - (I think I got mine on a sale for about half that a couple of years ago).

--Philistine

(Bucks County)

Mantis laser academy arrived yesterday. Finally got around to playing with it today.

First impression - i bought the compete package. It comes with a code to unlock all of the software (which is available on Android despite what half of the mantis website says). Additionally, it comes with a neat collapsible tripod, phone mount, and a bunch of targets (as in duplicates so you can duel).

It also comes with a travel version which has miniaturized targets, a smaller tripod, and another phone mount.

It also came with a laser cartridge. I admittedly didn't try it. It looks identical to the itarget pro laser. My guess is that it is the same one.

To hold the targets up, it comes with that blue tacky putty that you often find in schools for teachers to hang posters with.

The app supports multiple targets. It functions fairly well. Oh, the targets are also smart targets. So you can shoot certain parts of the target to start or stop a particular training activity.

The target acquisition from the app is okay. I might not have had my phone close enough. But it worked reasonably well.

It scores your hits and you can can review your work later as it saves the sessions. It also measures how long your sessions are and how long it took you to make your shot from the last shot.

I'm pretty damn impressed. For 150$, i think this is probably the best training option. I haven't even used everything in the app yet and now that i have 2 lasers, i fully plan to duel with it.

Definitely worth checking out.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    I'm sorry to hear the Laser Targets Interactives didn't work. I've been eyeing them for a while, but I'd heard they were fiddly with lasers other than their own, and that expense along with their own expense has kept me from getting them. What I especially liked about it was it seemed be be easy set up and configure.

Have you tried LASR? At https://lasrapp.com/

I've used the classic version a fair amount. It gives a lot of options/configurabilty, but it can be a bit of a pain to set up. The classic version only ran on a computer/laptop/Tablet Computer (I don't think IPad), and needs an external webcam. I was lucky enough to have a computer set up where I was going to use it and a webcam, so that wasn't additional cost. ($120 lifetime--with about $30-40 in "add-ons" that are necessary to fully enjoy). I like it, but requires overcoming some inertia to set it up to use.

They have since moved to offer a new version (LASRX), which can work not only on computers, but will also work on phones/Ipads. I haven't really played around with it, but they offer different pricing models $9/month, ~$60/yr or $120 lifetime -- again needs $30 in upgrades. Also offer additional cost to let 2 or more computers to network together, either for multi-room/angle shooting or multi-person. Does NOT need a webcam for phone/ipad use--does need it for computer/laptop. Worth the $9 to check it out on a phone/Ipad (or computer if you already have a webcam). I haven't really played with this much--still requires same amount of set up--but has the ability to do a fair amount more than most Iphone app-based systems.

For revolvers, rather than having to get 6 bullets, try the Laserlyte universal - https://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-UNI.../dp/B010FMFRLO. It goes in the front of the barrel (and sticks out), and fits from .380 to .45 calibers. It is sound activated, and worked pretty well (a few missed shots, but not excessive). I prefer a dedicated "laser bullet" for autos, as they were generally more reliable. $99 - (I think I got mine on a sale for about half that a couple of years ago).

--Philistine
    I've seen lasrx mentioned but have not had any first hand experience with it.

I'll look into it, but right now I'm pretty sold in the mantis laser academy.

-Zach

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by smit308 View Post
    I received an Itarget system for Christmas. I was very impressed with it. It was easy to setup and easy to use and everything appears to work as advertised. I started with the 9mm set and then wanted to add a .45. When I went to the Itarget web site I thought the price was a little high for an additional bullet, Shopped around a bit and found an outfit called Redpoint LLC that has all of the components at a much more reasonable cost, My only gripe about the system is that you can't shoot multiples. For draw and first shot , it's the nuts though.

Good luck with your quest,

Smit
    Looks like a cool system for the price. With just the one laser bullet, I guess it's a lot of reload, correct? Seems like that may get old quick or am I missing something?
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gman106 View Post
    Looks like a cool system for the price. With just the one laser bullet, I guess it's a lot of reload, correct? Seems like that may get old quick or am I missing something?
    The cartridges don't have a rim so you can rack the slide and it won't pull the cartridge from the barrel.

That said, practicing with a striker fired pistol would definitely be more challenging than a double or even single action pistol.

I've been using double action. Conveniently, that is what i wanted to work on.

-Zach

(Delaware County)

The cartridges don't have a rim so you can rack the slide and it won't pull the cartridge from the barrel.

That said, practicing with a striker fired pistol would definitely be more challenging than a double or even single action pistol.

I've been using double action. Conveniently, that is what i wanted to work on.

-Zach
    Oh cool. I may have to get one.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234