Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Rifle suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I agree with knight. I'm guessing you are new to hunting/deer hunting? You certainly don't need to spend more than a $300-$400 on a basic rifle plus scope. Hit a gun show and you can get one far cheaper.
    I hunted with a marlin 336 for decades and I replaced it with a cheap savage .308. I hunt with guys that walk around with rifles and glass that cost many times what my savage and Leupold scope cost. I shoot more and bigger deer than them almost always because I hunt. Every hunter thinks they're going to drop a deer at 400 yards. Some do. Most can't hit a barn at 200 yds. I dropped nice deer over 200 yds with my .30-30 and .308 Most are 100yds and less. Far less.

If this is your first deer rifle find a reasonably priced gun, put a $300-$400 Leupold or Nikon on it and get some hunting experience. Your success won't depend on the money you spent on your rifle.
    If anything, when you have a cheaper gun, you're gonna be less preoccupied with worrying about banging up a more expensive rifle.

Also note: Avoid Nikon. They discontinued their riflescopes. I sent mine in for repair (mine was old enough to still have their lifetime guarantee), and they were like, we can't fix or exchange this, here's a $150 certificate that you can spend on things from us that aren't rifle scopes.

Quote Originally Posted by TooBigToFit View Post
    If anything, when you have a cheaper gun, you're gonna be less preoccupied with worrying about banging up a more expensive rifle.

Also note: Avoid Nikon. They discontinued their riflescopes. I sent mine in for repair (mine was old enough to still have their lifetime guarantee), and they were like, we can't fix or exchange this, here's a $150 certificate that you can spend on things from us that aren't rifle scopes.
    I agree. To me a hunting gun is a tool and used accordingly.

Wow didn't know that about Nikon. I only own their rimfire prostaff scope, but seems people always moan when Nikon isn't included in lower end decent scopes, so I did......figures
    FUCK BIDEN

(Wayne County)

You should treat all rifles whether cheap or expensive with care, adds to gun safety.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Qtrborecrazy View Post
    You should treat all rifles whether cheap or expensive with care, adds to gun safety.
    I treat mine better than my wife and it pisses her off.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Very happy with my Ruger American rifles. I have 2, both compact models chambered in .243 which is awesome for where I hunt deer. If you want increased flexibility go with standard size rifle in .308. That*ll take black bear here in PA as well. Top it off with a Vortex scope and you*re ready to go.

(Bucks County)

That sucks, I have 2 Nikons. Hope they don*t ever need warranty work.

(Jefferson County)

This in bold is VERY important.. Hunting rifles will get scratches and dings, which financially impact more expensive far greater than cheaper guns. Then factor in exposure to the elements, corrosion from your bloody hand prints on the gun's metal, etc, etc.

If none of that matters, and you have money to burn - by all means, get an expensive gun if you want.

Hunting guns should be considered tools of the hobby/trade. ...tools get used and abused.

If I were to have to have a gun botched-up, it would be a cheapo that I choose. I certainly wouldn't want a scratch on a Mark V Weatherby, on a Merkel, on a H&H, on a Blazer, etc, etc. Now, getting one on a Marlin, Winchester, Remington, etc wouldn't make me want to cry as bad. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Beaver County)

Thank you I agree I’m putting too much thought into it

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123