Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: What's the "best value" to get into reloading?

If reloading on a progresssive press, buy an RCBS Lockout die. Worth its weight in gold! It will lock the entire system so that the double charge or no charge round cannot pass. Other companies have dies which let you know if there is an over or under charge, but RCBS is (or was) the only die on the market which locked the system.

Have not reloaded in a few years, but when I did, if my Lockout die broke, no way I would reload until I replaced it.
    The USA is now a banana republic. Only without the bananas....or the Republic.

(Northumberland County)

Thanks all. Truly appreciate everyone that has reached out, and the wealth of insights you've all shared. Been taking it all in, working on reading through/ watching the resources you've recommended. Thanks to lager1829 as well, for helping me get a start on the equipment piece.

It'll be a long road (deliberately) as I finalize my setup, but that gives me time to read up more and make room in the basement.

Good luck could only imagine what it's like to start reloading in times like this. When almost everything gone or priced outrageous.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural Ruger View Post
    Thanks all. Truly appreciate everyone that has reached out, and the wealth of insights you've all shared. Been taking it all in, working on reading through/ watching the resources you've recommended. Thanks to lager1829 as well, for helping me get a start on the equipment piece.

It'll be a long road (deliberately) as I finalize my setup, but that gives me time to read up more and make room in the basement.
    A new workbench would be a great project, whether you get into reloading or not. My first project when we moved in was a new workbench. I made some good decisions back then that I'm really appreciating now:

2X4 frame construction, screwed not nailed.
    Frame bolted into 3 walls.
    3/4" plywood, glued and screwed. 1/4" hardboard glued and screwed over that. Then commercial-grade floor tile cemented to the top.
    The top overhangs the frame by 4", allowing for legroom, bolting down vice/press/etc., and clamping.
    2X4 frame extends up the wall for pegboard.
    Tool storage behind cupboard doors below, and plenty of small parts storage to the side.
    Multiple power outlets and excellent lighting.

I didn't know it 15 years ago, but I built the perfect bench for reloading. The thing is rock solid and comfortable, since it has legroom to sit comfortably at either press. It's especially comfortable since I bought a padded cushion for my stool, and started using an old wooden milk crate for a footrest. Ergonomics!

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by Normlizer View Post
    Good luck could only imagine what it's like to start reloading in times like this. When almost everything gone or priced outrageous.
    I started in the winter of 2013 with a $30 Lee handheld press. Was able to get some rough factory seconds of 9mm Remington bullets from Midway. Went to the local gun shop and the only powder they had for pistol was Unique, so I started with that.

In time when deals came up, I jumped on them and over time set myself up. In the end, I don't know when or how but this current shortage will end and that will be time to set yourself up for the future.

After 2013 I decided I wasn't going to be the guy shaking his cup around "please sir can I have some 9mm for $40?". My current cost of loading 9mm with my supplies is just over 10 cents a round.

(Berks County)

Yup, hope we are all learning well here and get a chance to right our wrongs if we did not buy enough. I know I'll buy what and where I can when I can!
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234