Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Re: What's the "best value" to get into reloading?

Thanks all for the suggestions...it is greatly appreciated! Actually didnt know Lyman and Lee were considered lesser/cheaper brands. Doesnt bother me, but guess I'll be in that lot too, seeing as my press is a Lyman. Sounds like used is very viable if the price makes sense, and will probably keep an eye out for the other equipment that way. Components...not sure yet. I might grab some as I see them, but mostly focused on equipment for now given the lack of primers.

Planning to grab a couple manuals and dig into before I load anything...which is likely months to years out yet. I have one uncle that does it and is a good source of info, but dont foresee any equipment or components coming from him necessarily. He's good for running ideas by but definitely has his own focus as far as calibers are concerned (legacy deer cartridges mostly), and there isnt a ton of overlap in our caliber interests or shooting types.

Had a friend who used to work at the Leb Co. dump and used to say how a coworker of his pulled hundreds of dollars of reloading stuff out of a box one time...powder, bullets, equipment, etc. Someone tossed pappy's stuff after he passed, I guess. Dont think I'll get that lucky!

(Carbon County)

Don't let lower prices scare you. I have NEVER had issues with LEE dies. They make some really oddball dies cheap and you cannot beat their collet crimp setup. I have a lot of RCBS stuff that I bought when I started reloading on the advice of guys that were already reloading. It is OK, but I paid more for a name.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunplummer View Post
    Don't let lower prices scare you. I have NEVER had issues with LEE dies. They make some really oddball dies cheap and you cannot beat their collet crimp setup. I have a lot of RCBS stuff that I bought when I started reloading on the advice of guys that were already reloading. It is OK, but I paid more for a name.
    I bought my rock chucker kit after Trump won and prices tanked. After Cabela's sale, rcbs rebate, and earned points, think I paid around $40.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Clarion County)

Here's a sticky from the reloading and ammo section that has some good info:
    https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=40420
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Westmoreland County)

Really bad timing for this. But I agree, the second hand market is the place for deals if you can find them and be quick enough to get it before someone else. RCBS is my go to brand. But I have Lee, Hornady and Lyman stuff too and it all works. Primers are tough right now. They sell out as fast as they're released. I have scored on some large rifle and a buddy found large pistol yesterday. Powder is starting to get scarce and prices going up. Sometimes when a reloader dies the person in charge of the estate just wants to move the stuff to make space and don't really know what they have, you can get incredible package deals. You have to be on the ball and a little bit lucky to catch these deals before the general public does. It's all doable put you'll have to put your time in searching.
    2021 PMSC/PAFOA Group shoot dates here https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=366923

(Bucks County)

Agree that used is a good way to go, if you can find it. However, you are not going to find much Dillon or Hornady used. I, personally, started out on a Lee Classic Turret press. When I started shooting more and more I moved into a Dillon 550b that I got used. The Lee was great for starting out and made me be careful to make sure everything was set right. I still use my Lee dies as I feel those are the best out there.

If you are going buy-once-cry-once then get a Dillon. Of course it all depends on how much you are loading at a time.

Now the next problem is components. Powder is still available as well as bullets and brass... primers are a no-go unless you are willing to pay 10x what they normally are. Just look at the classifieds for a good laugh. Before the shortage 1K of primers was around $35.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post
    Agree that used is a good way to go, if you can find it. However, you are not going to find much Dillon or Hornady used. I, personally, started out on a Lee Classic Turret press. When I started shooting more and more I moved into a Dillon 550b that I got used. The Lee was great for starting out and made me be careful to make sure everything was set right. I still use my Lee dies as I feel those are the best out there.

If you are going buy-once-cry-once then get a Dillon. Of course it all depends on how much you are loading at a time.

Now the next problem is components. Powder is still available as well as bullets and brass... primers are a no-go unless you are willing to pay 10x what they normally are. Just look at the classifieds for a good laugh. Before the shortage 1K of primers was around $35.
    Big dawg is a YouTube legend. Take his advice. I have watched many of his videos
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I started out with this RCBS Rock Chucker set from Cabelas. I don't remember what I paid, but there was a rebate. It had almost everything I needed except for a tumbler and dies.

I'm glad I spent a little extra for a digital scale. That makes a huge difference in speed and ease of use.

When ammo comes back, there will probably be lots of gear on the used market at a good price. If you want to buy anything now, check Rennug, Craigslist and FB Marketplace often and jump on deals immediately. Anything decent is selling very quickly right now. And whenever you contact anyone about a sale, be sure to ask them if they have anything else for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdawgbeav View Post

There's something to be said for starting out cheap to learn how. If you get into it, then you'll have a better idea of what you REALLY want when you buy new. If you don't get into it, you didn't lose much and you sell the used gear to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Dillon hands down is the best bang for your buck. They have a no questions asked life time warranty
    My primer tube and primer system blew up one day, all new parts
    were at my door in less than a week. They may be expensive,
    but the no BS warranty is great. That even goes with old used
    presses too that you bought at a flea market.

Agreed. I bought 2 used Dillon Square Deal presses a couple years ago. They had been sitting awhile in less than dry conditions. I explained what parts I needed , and they sent them in a few days , no charge. I explained some of the dies were rusty , they asked me to return them and perhaps they could polish them. Instead they sent new replacements.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast