Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default ND’d 9mm glock 19 indoors - hearing damage

Hello everyone, I’m new to the forum.

2 weeks ago a friend dropped a mag but forgot to clear chamber and ND’d his glock 19 right next to me in a medium sized bedroom. Fortunately no one was hurt other than our hearing. The scary part is that I’ve spent the last 20 years of my career as an audio engineer and my hearing took a hit in my right ear.

I went to an Otologyst 2 days later, they did audiogram and they confirmed threshold shifts in my right ear. The doc did an intratympatic steroid injection and sent me home to hope for the best.

It’s 2 weeks later now and my hearing still hasn’t improved much, and I still have high pitched ringing.

Have any of you experienced this? Did anyone see more hearing improvement after 2 weeks?

I’m still holding on to hope that it might get better, but if it doesn’t I’m afraid my career might be over.

Any insights appreciated.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: ND’d 9mm glock 19 indoors - hearing damage

It seems unlikely that one shot from a pistol permanently damaged your hearing. How old are you? It is well known that your hearing ability goes down the older we get and finding a slight difference in one ear is normal. How many dB's apart are they and at what frequency does it drop? An audiologist could help you diagnose the cause.

(Delaware County)

I was breaking up floor tile with a hammer for about 20 mins years ago. I trace a hearing problem ever since to that 20 minutes. Of course, I've been around drums, amps, motorcycles and jet engine for years, too, which has left me with a wicked case of tinnitus. Anyway, this doc claims a single noise like a gunshot can cause permanent damage. Your mileage may vary, so good luck.

https://www.kcbd.com/2019/04/26/one-...-your-hearing/

Dr. Leigh Ann Reel, Au.D., Ph.D., is a Professor of Audiology at the Texas Tech School of Health Professionals. She says noise induced hearing loss can show up at any age because it only takes one time for a loud noise to trigger permanent hearing loss. She says, "Guns are a huge source of dangerous loud noise. Even a single gunshot can be loud enough to cause permanent damage. And the list goes on - farm equipment, power tools even your lawn mower and maybe your weed eater too.* She adds that most people don*t understand how little it takes for a sound to be damaging. She explains, *There is a misconception. They think that if the sound is not physically painful or uncomfortable, it*s not loud enough to hurt their hearing. That*s not true.*

Dr. Reel says hearing damage builds over time until the loss is noticeable. She says in the work environment, you can get an audiologist to come to your business and measure the sound to see if it reaches 85 decibels. That*s the level of concern that a noise is potentially damaging. But for most people, there is an easier way to determine that sound level. She says, *There is an app you can use to measure sound to know if it is in the range that could be harmful to hearing.*

Another myth, she says, is that cotton will protect your ears from too much noise.

She says cotton is simply not strong enough to offer any seal from sound. But, Dr. Reel says the stores are loaded with hearing protection options. So which one would she advise? She says read the label to learn what kind of protection they offer. But overall, she says, *What*s best for you is the one that you*re willing to wear.*

Sadly, she says hearing damage is permanent. There is no way to reverse what is lost.

She says, *You have tiny little sensitive hair cells in your inner ear. They are damaged by noise and they don*t grow back. You only have the number that you were born with and so far, we can*t regenerate them.*
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

I've had a 7.62x39 out of a 3" barrel go off indoors in a block room and had no substantial hearing loss it rang for about a month but went away.

(Monroe County)

I traced my asymmetrical hearing loss to decades of things that go boom, bang and hanging outside of fixed and rotary wing aircraft while in flight. While I wish I had taken much better care of my hearing I am stuck with repeating What? say that again and blissfully reconstructing conversations in my head guessing key words which makes for some funny interactions with family ands friends. In addition Uncle Sam made it possible for regularly reoccurring self destruct tone to magically go off in my ears which makes hearing evaluation test fun. In reality anyone here that is force to defend themselves in their homes will not be wearing hearing protection and will definitely have reduced hearing after stopping a threat with their hand cannons or EBR lead distribution devices. Hearing loss sucks but we adapt or become entreating to ur friends with great hearing. Hearing doest get better.

(Bucks County)

Could you guys use a larger font, or use ALL CAPS, please? I can barely hear myself reading your posts due to this infernal hisssssss in my ears!

While I'm not a doctor, I've suffered from tinnitus ever since a particular asshole gym teacher blew his whistle mere inches from my left ear in high school. Doctors even confirmed a pinhole to my ear drum from the incident.
    The only thing I've found that helps when the ringing is particularly bad, is to let my ears rest; wearing foam or wax plugs, and sometimes muffs over the top of that, for as long as possible.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by DennisH82 View Post
    I traced my asymmetrical hearing loss to decades of things that go boom, bang and hanging outside of fixed and rotary wing aircraft while in flight. While I wish I had taken much better care of my hearing I am stuck with repeating What? say that again and blissfully reconstructing conversations in my head guessing key words which makes for some funny interactions with family ands friends. In addition Uncle Sam made it possible for regularly reoccurring self destruct tone to magically go off in my ears which makes hearing evaluation test fun. In reality anyone here that is force to defend themselves in their homes will not be wearing hearing protection and will definitely have reduced hearing after stopping a threat with their hand cannons or EBR lead distribution devices. Hearing loss sucks but we adapt or become entreating to ur friends with great hearing. Hearing doest get better.

I trace mine back to the decades old utterance of the phrase, "I do".

(Bucks County)

I suspect many motorcyclists don't consider wind noise as a hearing damager. I know I didn't for years.

I have seen the question raised with veterans of wars, such as 'Nam, having small arms fire and ordinance explode near them in fire fights, without ear protection. Some claimed to be without permanent damage, some claimed damage.

I think with time your measured deficit could return to previous acuity.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

I can't hear anything my wife says .....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast