Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: ND’d 9mm glock 19 indoors - hearing damage

Thank you guys for all of your wisdom on the topic.

The ringing has gone down a good bit in the last 24 hours which is a great relief. I went to another Otology doc for a 2nd opinion and going back to my original doc on Tuesday.

My hearing has improved, but still not back to where it started. I’m aware that I might not regain all of it, but I have found hope in the small improvements each day. I use a hearing test iPhone app with some high end studio headphones and the results have matched my audiograms.

I’ve read every medical study I could get my hands on and I’ve been doing anything that has shown improvements after a noise induced trauma. I know that most won’t probably help, but since my ears are my career, I feel like I need to try everything that might help.

Here is what I’ve been doing.

Day 2 - intratympatic dexamethasone injection
    Daily - magnesium power dissolved into warm water
    2x Daily - ear and head exercises that are supposed to increase blood flow to the inner ear.
    Daily - LOTS of total silence. Ear plugs when leaving house, I only have them out to do my work (1-3 hour work days below 65db)
    2x weekly - acupuncture to stimulate kidney health (Chinese doc says ear trauma can also stress kidneys)
    Daily - herbal supplements from Chinese doc
    Diet - no grains, sugars or alcohol. Very low sodium.
    Week 2 - started oral dexamethazone.

Again, who knows if any of those have contributed to the small amount of progress so far, but it’s worth a shot if any of them do actually help.

I only share all of that in case it can help someone else who stumbles on this one day after having their jackass friend Nd a glock next to them indoors. Haha

God forbid I ever need to use a gun indoors for self defense, but just in case, I now have ear protection on top of my gun in my nightstand.

thanks guys!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nashhh View Post

The ringing has gone down a good bit in the last 24 hours which is a great relief. I went to another Otology doc for a 2nd opinion and going back to my original doc on Tuesday.

My hearing has improved, but still not back to where it started. I*m aware that I might not regain all of it, but I have found hope in the small improvements each day. I use a hearing test iPhone app with some high end studio headphones and the results have matched my audiograms.

I*ve read every medical study I could get my hands on and I*ve been doing anything that has shown improvements after a noise induced trauma. I know that most won*t probably help, but since my ears are my career, I feel like I need to try everything that might help.

Here is what I*ve been doing.

2x Daily - ear and head exercises that are supposed to increase blood flow to the inner ear.
    Daily - LOTS of total silence. Ear plugs when leaving house, I only have them out to do my work (1-3 hour work days below 65db)
    2x weekly - acupuncture to stimulate kidney health (Chinese doc says ear trauma can also stress kidneys)

Again, who knows if any of those have contributed to the small amount of progress so far, but it*s worth a shot if any of them do actually help.

I only share all of that in case it can help someone else who stumbles on this one day after having their jackass friend Nd a glock next to them indoors. Haha

God forbid I ever need to use a gun indoors for self defense, but just in case, I now have ear protection on top of my gun in my nightstand.

thanks guys!
    Best of luck, and the next best thing you can do moving forward is don't be a stranger to all this pro-gun board has to offer.
    "Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Gman106
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson
    "Get the hell out of my way." - John Galt

No doubt, thanks Gman!

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nashhh View Post

My hearing has improved, but still not back to where it started. I*m aware that I might not regain all of it, but I have found hope in the small improvements each day. I use a hearing test iPhone app with some high end studio headphones and the results have matched my audiograms.

I*ve read every medical study I could get my hands on and I*ve been doing anything that has shown improvements after a noise induced trauma. I know that most won*t probably help, but since my ears are my career, I feel like I need to try everything that might help.

Here is what I*ve been doing.

Again, who knows if any of those have contributed to the small amount of progress so far, but it*s worth a shot if any of them do actually help.

thanks guys!
    If I may ask, how close was the gun to your ear when it discharged?

(Bucks County)

An intrusive incident in the home is tantamount to combat in war. Goals become enumerated priorities. Up to the point of a loud discharge of a firearm, hearing is at the top of the senses needed to assess the situation with respect to intruder's movements. Hardly the time and circumstance to prioritize hearing protection. On the other hand, a high quality set of electronic ear muffs that actually amplifies incoming sounds (in a stereoscopic form) might be a decided advantage. It all depends on what is happening and at what progressive speed.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Erie County)

I should be deaf already. Too many rock concerts, up close and personal, too many times being around things that boom, and then the noise on construction sites.

I have a ringing that goes from my right ear, then to my left. Other times both will ring in harmony.

Honestly, I have more important shit to worry about, so I live with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

Yesterday , I had some cop show , Blue Bloods , on and Tom Selleck was shooting on a small indoor range with a female cop. Looked like an office converted to a range. He was shooting a 1911. Neither were wearing any hearing protection!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Franklin County)

My ears constantly ring from years of various military activities and years of motorcycling. That said, I still seem to have pretty good hearing.
    This is interesting but I'll try to make it short. I worked years for a manufacturing company in a very loud environment, they tested our hearing every couple of years to monitor hearing loss in the plant, I always had very good hearing (one time the tester actually asked me if I had trouble sleeping as my hearing would keep most people awake). Anyway, I left that company and then came back 13 years later. I went in for my hearing test and they still had my old records from 13 years earlier. I still have noticeable ringing but my actual test changed very little in that time, and was still considerably better than average, especially for my age. Ear ringing, Tinnitus does not always mean poor hearing.
    The Hostler

(Chester County)

My wife fired one round of .223 from a 16" AR on an outdoor range under a wooden roof while forgetting to put her earmuffs on. (They were up on her head instead of on her ears.)

She suffered ringing, buzzing, and also crackling sounds when listening to music for months. It has slowly improved over the past couple of years, but she has definitely sustained some permanent hearing loss. Although the ringing has improved.

On another note, my physician says studies have shown that uncorrected hearing loss can be a major contributor to dementia. He recommends strongly that I get a hearing aid. I have hearing loss from years of shooting .22's as a kid without hearing protection, as well as countless cherry bombs and M-80's back in the 50's and 60's when such things were still available. I typically have to put on closed caption when watching TV shows or I miss some of the dialog.

(Bucks County)

uncorrected hearing loss can be a major contributor to dementia
    On the theory of diminished stimulation ?
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast