Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Pandemic prep self critique.

Guys, (and Gals) , N95 does not protect from viruses, they're too small. They are not useless, but distance is better. Viruses are smaller then smoke particles, and if someone s smoking, can you smell it through the mask? They may trap some, but not all. Just be cautious.
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by solrac7 View Post
    Guys, (and Gals) , N95 does not protect from viruses, they're too small. They are not useless, but distance is better. Viruses are smaller then smoke particles, and if someone s smoking, can you smell it through the mask? They may trap some, but not all. Just be cautious.
    Haha. I made the observation that while wearing a mask, you can still smell bad breath, and shit in the air in a public restroom, and wondered how much smaller the virus is than poo particles.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lancaster County)

If the N95 masks don't protect you, then how about just any old rag that people fashioned into masks? How do they do?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Juniata County)

A properly made n95
    Mask, (not the kn95) has a static charge that traps virus.

Now none of them are perfect, fit matters, and of course storage and such. Cartridge designs tend to test higher.

But we know wearing an n95 when in close contact with infected patients with flu or whatever reduces your likelihood of getting sick, because it takes a certain viral load to overcome your immune system.

Likewise, we, or at least the Japanese know that using listerine regularly (like, every time you would wash your hands) decreases chance of infection, and it has long been a business practice to followed.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

It's not about stopping the vir..., Nevermind.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Delaware County)

Um, the COVID virus is smaller than the individual pores in the masks - true. The virus is not spread as dry particles, it's droplet borne like the common cold. As such, the better IPE masks like N95 (if true N95 it's certified), KN95 (Less QC than N95), KF94 (certified, but by South Korean authorities) will do an excellent job of stopping droplets. You smell poop (smell is from bile vapor), farts (see poop), smoking (odor from particles and gas), etc. because they are gaseous and far smaller than the dry virus much less than droplets containing virus. Those light blue folding masks were made to keep your healthcare provider's exhaled crap away from you; they are less effective than the IPE masks at preventing crap from coming in. The bandanas are in the "better than nothing" category.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Um, the COVID virus is smaller than the individual pores in the masks - true. The virus is not spread as dry particles, it's droplet borne like the common cold. As such, the better IPE masks like N95 (if true N95 it's certified), KN95 (Less QC than N95), KF94 (certified, but by South Korean authorities) will do an excellent job of stopping droplets. You smell poop (smell is from bile vapor), farts (see poop), smoking (odor from particles and gas), etc. because they are gaseous and far smaller than the dry virus much less than droplets containing virus. Those light blue folding masks were made to keep your healthcare provider's exhaled crap away from you; they are less effective than the IPE masks at preventing crap from coming in. The bandanas are in the "better than nothing" category.
    Came here to say exactly this.
    *Fellas, please don't get your medical advice from people on the internet you don't know who have no idea how to interpret scientific data.
    Genesis 27:3
    Support Your Local Hawaiian Shirt Enthusiasts

Quote Originally Posted by mccula View Post
    Came here to say exactly this.
    *Fellas, please don't get your medical advice from people on the internet you don't know who have no idea how to interpret scientific data.
    But everyone here is an expert on everything!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    But everyone here is an expert on everything!
    Show me the guy that is an expert on women and I will buy him a bottle of booze that he chooses.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I purchased a 60-day supply of long-term food for 2 people, and will add to it. I am trying to be more diligent with having a supply of canned and dry goods, as well as paper items, in stock. I installed a removable hand pump on the well casing in case power goes out for extended periods of time, and purchased a Berkey filter system to filter the water. I have 35 gallons of filtered water stored in Reliance Aqua-tainers, and plan to increase that amount. I picked up some Baofengs, but need to learn more about their use. I stocked up an batteries, and purchased a hand-cranked radio. Fortunately, just as the pandemic hit, I purchased 10K of small pistol primers, and have enough primers and powder to get me through. I just need more bullets, but still have a few thousand. I have enough 5.56 to last for a while; I don't shoot it too much, so hopefully the crazy prices come down to reasonable levels.

I also looked into solar for the house, but the system I was looking at would not allow me to be off-grid, and the batteries would only power the house for a +/-8 hours. If we stay here, I will look into a buried propane tank and whole-house generator.
    Burying a steel propane tank is an expensive mistake.

They are above-ground items, not engineered for burial.

They WILL rust underground. Install it above ground on a concrete pad and put a tin roof over it. Then add screening of some sort so the casual passerby does not recognize it and make your house a target. Keep it painted and It will last a long long time. Beware - condensation WILL form and eventually cause rust.

I have a portable 11KW dual fuel Genny, because flexibility and non-shtf remote use...

Craigslist has propane tanks cheep for 20 30 and 100 gal sizes. Again- keep them painted...
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast