Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Pandemic prep self critique.

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlG View Post
    Wife & I were discussing this most of the weekend. The one area well fell short in was seeds. We tried a garden plot in a wooded lot for 2020, and what do you know, the woodland creatures ate well. Only problem is, we have no seeds to start for this year. Luckily, it's not toilet paper, which everybody seems to need months and months of stock of, and seeds are still relatively easy to come by. But, we will be getting two years' worth (with the mindset of likely not even using the second set, because we should have a good harvest this year and be able to gather seeds from that).

We have also decided to push harder to get a homestead away from the city, and get permanently settled there.
    You must be new to gardening...garden in the woods? That's like putting out a free buffet in front of the homeless shelter. It takes diligence and serious defenses to keep the freeloaders out. Besides, vegetables like unrestricted sunlight from sunrise to sunset. Evolution of the garden: Rabbits eat a lot. Groundhogs eat even more. Deer make both of the above look like rookies. I got my Burpee catalog today but last year I bought all heirloom seeds so I wouldn't need to buy seeds again.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    You must be new to gardening...garden in the woods? That's like putting out a free buffet in front of the homeless shelter. It takes diligence and serious defenses to keep the freeloaders out. Besides, vegetables like unrestricted sunlight from sunrise to sunset. Evolution of the garden: Rabbits eat a lot. Groundhogs eat even more. Deer make both of the above look like rookies. I got my Burpee catalog today but last year I bought all heirloom seeds so I wouldn't need to buy seeds again.
    YUP, one of the guys I worked with had his 'Deer Delicatessen' outside his house up in the Poconos. It was not planned that way, but it is how it ended up.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Lancaster County)

Honestly had little to no effect on my life from the pandemic so I guess that means I was prepped?
    Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post
    Honestly had little to no effect on my life from the pandemic so I guess that means I was prepped?
    That's the way we were. We shopped in Feb before things got bad to stock up on things that we had allowed to get low. Our only real issue is that the kids love milk so much that doing without is annoying. Fortunately we were able to still make runs to the dairy to stock up every week.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Franklin County)

I do not have N95 masks. I would like to get some, but if I had had them, and used them as recommended (changing several times a day) I would have been pissed once it became clear they weren't sufficient for absolute protection, and likely not necessary at all. When I do acquire them, will be very, VERY stingy on when they are used.

I never ran out of paper supplies. I picked up a small amount as the panic began, and continued slow purchases as it was available, never coming close to running out. I did "sacrifice" by needing to choose various brands, as available, and not always have my preferred brand.

A multiple-day problem with my municipal water supply demonstrated that while I had "emergency" water supply and filtration, sustaining 3 adults and 2 pets for several days would be VERY labor intensive in a more critical shortage. That prompted me to add a Berkey filtration system to my stores.

I am slowly increasing food stores across the board, in preparation for a less robust economy in the coming years. That may include ongoing work furloughs, and since that's been ongoing for almost a year now, the next round of compensation will be at a lower rate. Combine that with higher taxes and prices, and it could have a noticeable impact on the level of comfort we enjoy.

I'd like to have more ammo, but I take comfort in knowing I probably have far more on hand that any shop within 100 miles of me. I'm not actively buying, as given the overall economic outlook, I think those dollars are more wisely spend on food and other consumables at the moment.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I do not have N95 masks. I would like to get some, but if I had had them, and used them as recommended (changing several times a day) I would have been pissed one it became clear they weren't sufficient for absolute protection, and likely not necessary at all. When I do acquire them, will be very, VERY stingy on when they are used.
    That's why after a few weeks into this, seeing N95 wasn't necessary for this virus, I stopped using them. However, I want them on hand for the virus that would necessitate their use.

On your note about water, that's why buying a house on a well was part of my house shopping requirements and preps, including the creek out back hahaha. I seriously put prepping into my house buying requirements.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Franklin County)

It's also simple and inexpensive to set up a rainwater collection system and store 500-1000 gallons. In my case, supply of water is less of an issue than insuring the safety that portion that we need to be safe for consumption.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

One random thought regarding ammo. Don't expect the price or availability to improve within the next few years or more. There may be brief resupplies and short term stability down the road. The cost who knows, but we're only one riot, or mass shooting or God knows what other panic away from everything flying off the shelves again. I'm probably going to start burning up some .22lr just to stay in practice.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Garden centers start putting out seed displays in March. Get them early when most people aren't thinking about the garden.
    My store put out a massive display of seeds 4 days ago.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Northumberland County)

Dollar Tree also has seeds out. Same quality as Burpee? Probably not, but still functional

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast