Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: 5.56 in Remington 700

FWIW The Remington web site says:
    Can I request NATO ammunition usage information?

Many consumers request information regarding the use of NATO ammunition in their firearms. While we realize that some ammunition guides show interchangeability between some of these rounds (5.56 in .223 Remington or 7.62 x 51 in .308 Winchester), use of and NATO cartridges is not recommended in a gun chambered for the commercial variation of the cartridge. There are large pressure discrepancies between these two versions of a similar cartridge which could result in damage to the firearm or expedited wear on the gun itself.

We do not recommend using any cartridge in any firearm whose barrel stamp does not match the head stamp of the cartridge exactly.
    IMO this is a CYA answer because the company lawyers insist on it...
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Montgomery County)

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
    Tommy

(Chester County)

The whole discussion about the differences in the cartridge is a red herring, there isn't enough difference in the cartridge measurements to make a difference when the cartridge is .223vs5.56. The discussion is about the firearm itself and the chamber of the firearm and that is where the difference is. Bolt action rifles are used for accuracy and with that accuracy tighter tolerances are used. I've been doing this explanation of the differences in rifle chambers for many years and have always recommended that you find the length of your chamber before firing anything other than 223 in your 223 chambered bolt action rifle. It may be that you have sufficient chamber length to use military M193 or M855 in your rifle but you won't know that until you have an accurate measurement of your chamber.

After over 40 years in my experience of seeing this confusion you'd think that manufactures at some point would take the confusion out all this and make a standard size chamber and put an end to the endless BS and disinformation. I'm only referring to the 223vs5.56 in this instance but if you have questions about what you should use in your rifle of any calibre you should consult the manufacturer and a competent gunsmith.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Like many things , this situation is very over-blown and mostly pertains to dangers of semi-autos with barrels/chambers/leade cut to minimums and fired with longer , heavier bullets. The original leade spec was probably based on a 50 or 55gr spitzer like the M193 round.

In a Model 700 bolt action , the likelihood of a catastrophic failure is nil unless you filled the cartridge case with Bullseye.

Blown primer , case blow-out or head separation , , , maybe.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Chester County)

I*m well aware of the differences myself and the supposedly do,s and donts. I run the hottest loads I can get in my savage 10fp le bolt gun that is chambered in .223. I run lake city 556 and I also load my own with max pressure. My face is still here after all these years. Yes always make sure the bolt closes freely and the neck isn*t being rammed into the barrel. But my 223 has plenty of clearance. I suppose that can very with deifferent manufactures of rifle

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Shoot it with no worries, I have been doing this for decades with zero signs of over pressure, accuracy, feed or function issues, same goes for 7.62x51 /.308. It has been blown out of proportions by bloviating so called internet gun experts

why are we using 223 dies and load data for our 556 rifles ?

much like the ford vs chevy...45 vs 9mm....Glock vs 1911 endless discussions
    In my research there are reasons for the discrepancy in pressures, and it is based on how, where, and at what point the pressures are measured, one uses a SAAMI and the other NATO Pressure specification for chamber pressures, so basically people are comparing apples to donuts when they talk about the differences.
    Do your homework and come to your own conclusions, but I personally can not find anywhere on the internet an example of a .223 chamber detonating because of a 5.56 was fired from it.
    PLease, prove me wrong.
    I have been shooting them interchangeably for decades.
    Just bought a 700 ADL varmint heavy barrel in .223 and broke the barrel in shooting M855 surplus
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12