Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Almost kicked out of KFC!

A lot of my encounters seem to occur in various eateries. Maybe that is why I look the way I do...

I had a bunch of errands to do for both business and personal today, so I was running around Allentown and west, going down towards Trexlertown. I OC'd in Home Depot for a good hour getting prices for a job for the house and no one even raised an eyebrow. While I was out, I was fairly faint from hunger. The lunch hour had passed, and I was beginning to feel waif like, so I pulled into the KFC in Trexlertown, or whatever municipality it is - the one on Rt 222 just east of Rt 100. I ordered up my food, and sat down at a table facing the room and the doors. There were very few people in the store, but I don't ever like sitting with my back to doors and rooms.

I had just finished up my first piece of chicken, when I looked up to see a police officer striding towards me in a very purposeful manner. Here it comes, I thought to myself.

"Hey boss, what's up? They don't want you having a gun in the store."

"That's fine officer. What about my food?"

"We'll get you a lid for that, okay?"

"Fine."

Off he went to the counter. I sat there quietly waiting for him to bring me a lid for my lunch. He stood there speaking with a young man for a few minutes, and then came back towards me without a lid.

"I am really sorry to have bothered you sir. I should have spoken with the manager first. He has no problem with you being here. Someone else must have called in a man with a gun report."

"Thank you officer. You do know I am not doing anything illegal, right?

"Oh yeah, I am well aware of that! Are you on your way to do some shooting?"

"No, I carry it with me everywhere I can."

"I don't blame you, I do too. Again, sorry to have bothered you."

"No problem officer. I'm not spread eagled on the floor right now, so that is a good thing."

(officer laughs)

May I please have your name and address so I have something to put on the report?"

I verbally identified myself, and that was all he wanted. He did not ask for my driver's license or my LTCF. We exchanged a few more pleasantries, he bade me good day, and left.

A few minutes later, the manager came over to my table and apologized profusely for the police having been called and bothering me. I told him it was not a problem, and that I appreciated him not kicking me out of the store. His reply was that I was not bothering anyone, so there was no reason. He did ask me if it was legal to carry a gun openly like that. I said "Yeah, if it wasn't, I would be in the back of the cop car about now!" He laughed and agreed. After I finished eating, I went to the truck and retrieved a pamphlet and some cards for him and his crew.

Overall, it was a very positive experience. I met a police officer who knew the carry laws, and a manager who was not afraid of the gun. Both of them are pretty sure it was another employee who called me in without saying anything to anyone. There were only a few other customers in the store, and they were not really in a position to see my gun the way I had been sitting, or even moving through the store. But now that someone who called me in undoubtedly knows that what I was doing is legal, and even acceptable to other people. And that is how gun rights get advanced.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Almost kicked out of KFC!

Nice! Word must be spreading

Did you get the officers name/#? Doesn't hurt to send a letter of thanks to the dept. for his file

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post

Did you get the officers name/#? Doesn't hurt to send a letter of thanks to the dept. for his file
    I memorized it, which means it fell out of my head by the time I walked out the door. I was thinking about researching it and doing as you describe, but then I got to thinking, what if the chief is an anti? Might a letter from a gun carrying citizen thanking the officer for recognizing the law go against him with his boss? Just a thought.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    what if the chief is an anti? Might a letter from a gun carrying citizen thanking the officer for recognizing the law go against him with his boss? Just a thought.
    You might be right, but personally I would send a letter to his chief attesting to this officers professionalism and his courteousness. Even if his chief is anti-gun the officer upon seeing the letter would probable like the acknowledgement. Jmo.

Yeah, I'm working on a letter now.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    I memorized it, which means it fell out of my head by the time I walked out the door. I was thinking about researching it and doing as you describe, but then I got to thinking, what if the chief is an anti? Might a letter from a gun carrying citizen thanking the officer for recognizing the law go against him with his boss? Just a thought.
    Could you not just address it to him directly, care of the pd? Then he would have the option of sharing it with the chief.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by cgbudde View Post
    You might be right, but personally I would send a letter to his chief attesting to this officers professionalism and his courteousness. Even if his chief is anti-gun the officer upon seeing the letter would probable like the acknowledgement. Jmo.
    That's a good idea.

Plus, if you're worried about an anti-gun chief, you don't necessarily have to specify why you're complementing him. Just mention that he spoke with you concerning a misunderstanding, that it was cleared up in a quick and efficient manner thanks to the guy's courtesy and professionalism, and that he's a credit to the force. Know what I mean?

Pennsy Plinker
    The Plinker Residence
    Lehigh Valley PA
    Chief Michael P. Weiser
    37 Grim Rd.
    Breinigsville PA 18031

November 3, 2008

Dear Chief Weiser

Earlier on today, I was running some errands in the Trexlertown area, when I decided to stop for some lunch at the Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant on Rt. 222. As is my custom, I was openly carrying a Sig Sauer semi automatic pistol on my hip.

I entered the restaurant, ordered and received my food, and had just started eating when Officer Jeffrey Reitnauer entered the building and headed straight for me. He informed me that I would have to leave the store, as they did not want a man carrying a gun openly in it. I asked him what I could do about my food, and he replied that he would obtain a lid for me. That was fine with me. I recognize that PA state law requires that I observe the wishes of a property owner.

Officer Reitnauer went to the counter and conferred with a young man there for a couple of minutes. He then started back toward me without a lid. When he returned to my table, he apologized for interrupting my meal, and told me that the manager of the restaurant had no problems with my being there. I asked Officer Reitnauer if he knew that I was not doing anything illegal, to which he responded affirmatively. He went on to say that the manager was not the person who had called the police with a man with a gun report, but rather someone else who was not able to be identified at that point. He asked me to identify myself, which I did. We exchanged a few pleasantries, and he left. The manager of the restaurant also came over to speak to me and assured me that I was not doing anything that would give him cause to have me ejected.

I would like to commend Officer Reitnauer for his professional demeanor, as well as his current knowledge on firearms law and property rights law. During the entire exchange, he was courteous and professional. It is encouraging to see an officer with his level of training and courtesy. I have several friends and acquaintances who have not had the good fortune to encounter a police officer who is as well acquainted with the law as Officer Reitnauer. Some have been subjected to threats, intimidation, and screaming, all because they were carrying their firearm openly. One friend was even arrested and stuffed into the back of a cruiser for almost an hour. I live in the area served by the Berks Lehigh Regional police, and I was gratified and encouraged to see that the officer whom I encountered is so well versed in his duties.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and may all your encounters be as peaceful.

Sincerely,

Thoughts? Suggestions?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post

I was gonna say the same thing! Positive letters are always a good thing!

(Allegheny County)

but OC is going to lead to all of us having our guns taken away!! don't you know that?

the letter sounds good to me.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast