Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Byrna HD...is it legal to carry in NJ?

Since it runs on Co2 IMO it will be illegal in the people republic, just like everything else. IIRC air gun are illegal as well as sling shots. This is nothing more than a BB gun shooting a .68 ball.

BTW, while they call this less lethal, it could still cause death. I would be very careful with this.

Quote Originally Posted by FJRMarty View Post
    What the heck are you going to NJ for???
    What ever it may be, just make sure you bring the American flag with you, on the way back.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    It would be considered a firearm under the definition in NJ law, so it would be treated as such IMHO.
    I disagree (My gut agreed with you until I read the actual legal definition). I think it avoids that classification because the projectile is *larger than* 3/8".

Here is the legal definition of firearm, as provided by the NJSP. Text separation added by me.

"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, assault firearm, automatic or semi-automatic
    rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectile,
    ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the
    action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances.

It shall also include, without limitation, any
    firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the
    propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas, or vapor, air or compressed air, or
    is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with
    sufficient force to injure a person.
    IMO, the first half doesn't apply because it doesn't use a cartridge, shell, explosion or ignition as the propelling force. The second half does seem to apply, *except* for the mention of size. That is included with the word "and", so IMO, the size must be coupled with some other characteristic to be in violation, so anything described by the second set of characteristics, but larger than 3/8, should be legal.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I disagree (My gut agreed with you until I read the actual legal definition). I think it avoids that classification because the projectile is *larger than* 3/8".

Here is the legal definition of firearm, as provided by the NJSP. Text separation added by me.

IMO, the first half doesn't apply because it doesn't use a cartridge, shell, explosion or ignition as the propelling force. The second half does seem to apply, *except* for the mention of size. That is included with the word "and", so IMO, the size must be coupled with some other characteristic to be in violation, so anything described by the second set of characteristics, but larger than 3/8, should be legal.
    Makes sense. I don't think paintball guns are classified as firearms there, likely because of what you've pointed out.

NJ considers just about everything a firearm. Even projectiles powered by an elastic band. Not making that up.

"Firearm or firearms" means any handgun, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, assault firearm, automatic or semi-automatic
    rifle, or any gun, device or instrument in the nature of a weapon from which may be fired or ejected any solid projectile,
    ball, slug, pellet, missile or bullet, or any gas, vapor or other noxious thing, by means of a cartridge or shell or by the
    action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances. It shall also include, without limitation, any
    firearm which is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the
    propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas, or vapor, air or compressed air, or
    is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with
    So no.
    FUCK BIDEN

action of an explosive or the igniting of flammable or explosive substances.

It shall also include, without limitation, any

nox·ious
    /*näkSH*s/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    harmful, poisonous, or very unpleasant.
    "they were overcome by the noxious fumes"

This falls under the first paragraph, under "Firearm or Firearms". IMO this is still illegal. IANAL, just breaking it down commie nj, style.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    NJ considers just about everything a firearm. Even projectiles powered by an elastic band. Not making that up.

So no.
    Projectiles powered by elastic band are only illegal if they are under 3/8" diameter. Read the last two lines in the description you posted, and also read my opinion in post #12.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    nox·ious
    /*näkSH*s/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    harmful, poisonous, or very unpleasant.
    "they were overcome by the noxious fumes"

This falls under the first paragraph, under "Firearm or Firearms". IMO this is still illegal. IANAL, just breaking it down commie nj, style.
    Disagree, because it is not fired by means described in that section. You've got to pay attention to the conjunctions. You can't pick a few words from the beginning, and the end, then slap them together to form an imaginary prohibition.

Projectiles powered by elastic band are only illegal if they are under 3/8" diameter. Read the last two lines in the description you posted, and also read my opinion in post #12.
    Everything in NJ is a firearm or a deadly weapon or whatever means necessary to make using it to defend yourself outside your home illegal, with the exception pepper spray less than 1 ounce (don't recall the exact volume)

If it's not a firearm then it will be illegal because it can cause serious harm or some other bull shit. Paintballs are larger than 3/8 but illegal to use for self defense or carry outside the home.
    FUCK BIDEN

Disagree, because it is not fired by means described in that section. You've got to pay attention to the conjunctions. You can't pick a few words from the beginning, and the end, then slap them together to form an imaginary prohibition.
    Would you carry on in nj, and feel comfortable that you wouldn't wind up in prison?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Daycrawler View Post
    Would you carry on in nj, and feel comfortable that you wouldn't wind up in prison?
    If that were a realistic possibility, I would first pay to get an opinion from Evan Nappen. I would then base my decision on his advice, since he'd be the one I'd call if I ended up needing legal assistance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast