Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Federal Three Day Waiting Period

Is there a federal level 3 day waiting period to buy guns?

In all the years I've been active here, I've never heard this discussed.
    A guy on another forum claims that "We already HAVE a waiting period to buy a gun".
    He's a "negotiator-type" - willing to give up some rights for things that would personally benefit HIM - like "I will happily pay $200 tax on AR15s to GET national carry."

He's a "staunch supporter of the 2A" and has said "Fudd-like" things many times, and when something was said against mandating a waiting period to buy, he had NO OBJECTIONS - "because we already HAVE a 3 day waiting period at the federal level - it doesn't affect most people because the background check is instant, but by law, they have 3 days to deny, but after 3 days, they must sell if you haven't been denied."

Does that make any sense? Any truth to what he says?
    Maybe he's twisting something around?
    There are way more laws than I can keep track of.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Federal Three Day Waiting Period

And today he just posted this...

Well
    It seems the 7 day wait period went into affect
    Found a good deal on a smith and Wesson bodyguard (38 j frame) today
    My background check went into delay (like it always does during covid) and they said I could pick it up on the 29th if I don*t hear back..

thats 7 days, used to be 3
    Wonder which EO they snuck that into in the fine print?

(Columbia County)

I think what he is referring to is states that don't have their own version of PICs make an instantaneous check using the federal system. If they run into a buyer that they need more time AKA "research"; I think they have 72 hours to clear up a " research "case. If they don't find a reason to stop the sale within 72 hours they have to approve the sale.

I don't think that applies to PA residents since PA uses PICs.

(Allegheny County)

He's not in PA.

He says "3 days".

He "Says" a lot of things though.

The "issue" is that he's VERY knowledgeable in what he does and people look to him for advice.
    That said, he says things about guns that are clearly wrong from time to time and he does NOT like to be challenged because he has that reputation for "knowing everything".
    I'm just trying to figure out if he's right, wrong, or like I mentioned - maybe blurring his facts.

(Jefferson County)

Federal law has 3 day period if you go to delay/research. After that, a transfer can be completed even if there is no resolution.

However, that only applies for states that follow that follow Federal law and do not have stricter laws/regulations.

PA's regulations via the PSP used to be some other number of days, and now the PSP doesn't allow transfers until an approval.

I'm not sure where he is getting 7 days from. I'm unaware of any federal law change from 3 to 7 days.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

No offense but your friend sounds like he should just turn over his guns to the local PD.

(Beaver County)

I bought a new gun last Monday and I was in and out of the shop in 40 minutes with my new gun. I think this guy you know is talking out of his ass but you already know that. I can't stand people who believe they are beyond reproach, everything they say is correct, and double down when you prove them wrong.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Is there a federal level 3 day waiting period to buy guns?

In all the years I've been active here, I've never heard this discussed.
    A guy on another forum claims that "We already HAVE a waiting period to buy a gun".
    He's a "negotiator-type" - willing to give up some rights for things that would personally benefit HIM - like "I will happily pay $200 tax on AR15s to GET national carry."

He's a "staunch supporter of the 2A" and has said "Fudd-like" things many times, and when something was said against mandating a waiting period to buy, he had NO OBJECTIONS - "because we already HAVE a 3 day waiting period at the federal level - it doesn't affect most people because the background check is instant, but by law, they have 3 days to deny, but after 3 days, they must sell if you haven't been denied."

Does that make any sense? Any truth to what he says?
    Maybe he's twisting something around?
    There are way more laws than I can keep track of.
    With a statement like that I wouldn't call him pro gun at all. From what you say I don't think he knows much about gun laws. He is just spouting out what comes to mind and unfortunately from what you say people are believing him.
    Also I recall we a few similar posters on this site that I suspect were anti gun trolls incognito as gun enthusiasts.

(Allegheny County)

He's not "my friend".

He lives in Alaska.

I've already told him that while I find his contributions on X subject to be invaluable, his "gun law" knowledge is lacking.

I've also just told him that his willingness to trade rights for privileges that benefit him make me want to puke.

The gun guys on said forum seem to be of a similar mindset on his "gun knowledge".

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Federal law has 3 day period if you go to delay/research. After that, a transfer can be completed even if there is no resolution.

However, that only applies for states that follow that follow Federal law and do not have stricter laws/regulations.

PA's regulations via the PSP used to be some other number of days, and now the PSP doesn't allow transfers until an approval.

I'm not sure where he is getting 7 days from. I'm unaware of any federal law change from 3 to 7 days.
    Thanks for that.
    I don't know WTF he's talking about either. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast