Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Federal Three Day Waiting Period

When I lived in New Jersey you first had to get a firearms ID card, that took anywhere from 60 days to a year to get depending on your relationship with your Chief of Police. At that point you could buy a long gun, ammo, etc. Pistol you had to go to the Chief of Police and apply for the purchase license and pay a fee, again, 10 working days to 30 working days. I went to HS with a few of the cops in town and I was an emt on the squad so I got my stuff in a few minutes for pistol purchases. Pa was like heaven to me... though impulse buying is a downside...

(Schuylkill County)

Florida has a three day wait unless you have a carry license. Then, no wait at all.

(Allegheny County)

Federal. He's not talking about state waiting periods.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

He's sort of right, but misguided. As Knight said, there is a federal mechanism to complete the transfer after three days if no denial has come back. But you still have state law to deal with and FFLs that may choose to not complete the transfer without an approval.

I believe the history of this 3 day "safety valve" with respect to the NICS system was a compromise back when NICS was established. Basically legislators were worried (rightfully so) that the FBI or another bureaucracy would drag their feet and never give an approval as backdoor gun control. So this safety valve was put into place as a compromise in the Brady bill. I believe anti-gunners call this the "Charleston loophole".

(Montgomery County)

https://www.nraila.org/get-the-facts...ston-loophole/

What is the Charleston "Loophole"?

The 3 day proceed to sale provision, often referred to by the gun control community as the *Charleston loophole*, is not a loophole at all. It is a necessary component of our current background check system. Under current law, commercial firearms transactions cannot proceed until a background check determines that the transfer to the individual would not violate applicable federal and state laws. In the case of a delay, if the background check is not completed within 3 business days, the Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) has the OPTION to proceed with the transfer. The FFL is NOT required to complete the transfer.

The 3 day proceed to sale provision is a safety valve that ensures gun purchasers in the U.S. are not arbitrarily denied their Second Amendment Rights. Without the 3 day provision, the FBI has no incentive to complete checks in a timely manner.
    Delaying the exercise of a person*s right to self-defense can have deadly results. In 2015, Carol Bowne of Berlin, New Jersey was murdered by her ex-boyfriend after waiting more than forty days for a firearm permit. Eliminating the 3 day proceed to sale provision would expose law-abiding Americans to the same type of deadly delay that prevented Ms. Bowne from defending herself.
    Many Senators in favor of stricter gun control supported reducing the current 3 day provision to 1 day as part of the Manchin-Toomey amendment. With improvements in technology since the provision was originally adopted in 1998, we should be discussing reducing the time limit, not increasing it. NICS is premised on the idea that background checks should be instant, accurate, and fair.
    The murders in Charleston do not justify lengthening the 3 day provision:
    The Charleston murderer first attempted to buy a firearm on April 11, 2015, but was delayed due to an arrest for drug possession.
    The gun was transferred to him on April 16, 5 days after his attempt to purchase it.
    The attack didn't occur until June 17, over two months after the murderer first tried to buy the firearm. During that time, the FBI continued to investigate to determine whether the transaction should have proceeded. The FBI investigation was not impeded because the firearm was transfered.
    When it is later determined that a transaction should have been denied, the case is referred to ATF for recovery of the firearm. That didn't happen in this case because the murderer was not prohibited from possessing a firearm due to his drug arrest. Under federal law, a person has to be an unlawful "user" of a controlled substance, so the government needs evidence of use, not simply possession, of a controlled substance. Federal courts generally require evidence of *recent and repetitive* drug use to sustain a conviction as an "unlawful user." One court even held that evidence of a single recent usage of drugs by the defendant was insufficient to sustain a conviction. United States v. Augustin, 376 F.3d 135, 139 (3d Cir. 2004). *
    The Charleston case would not have been prevented by lengthening the 3 day proceed to sale provision. To the contrary, doing so would result in arbitrary delays affecting the rights of millions of people every year and make it more difficult for law-abiding Americans to defend themselves and their families.

(Susquehanna County)

Nope! The National Instant Check system was adopted by agreement between the NRA and Congress in lieu of the waiting period.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12