Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Brownell’s Oxpho-Blue - Can I Has Some?

I have phoned Unilever, parent company of Q-Tips (1-800-298-5018) and asked if the product contains lanolin. I am anticipating a response by email, which I will post when received.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Quote Originally Posted by P89 View Post
    Hey Fossil, how's that project coming along?
    Haven't had a chance to work on it as of yet. Been doing some research on how to use the stuff most effectively. I'll put up some before and after shots once we get done with it. =)

(Bucks County)

Do you have acetone? Excellent solvent for removing everything that can interfere with the cold blue. Also excellent solvent for preparing surfaces for adhesives. Use the two-rag system. One for applying the acetone, the second, a clean one for wiping the acetone'd surface clean and dry. Just wiping with one solvent-soaked wiper only thins the contaminants rather than removing them.

Cold blues work by depositing two layers on the steel. the base is copper in the form of copper sulfate which easily deposits a very thin coat of copper wash on the steel. The rest of the chemistry blackens the copper to a blue-black hue. For that reason, cold blue is not particularly hardy to being rubbed/worn off.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Do you have acetone? Excellent solvent for removing everything that can interfere with the cold blue. Also excellent solvent for preparing surfaces for adhesives. Use the two-rag system. One for applying the acetone, the second, a clean one for wiping the acetone'd surface clean and dry. Just wiping with one solvent-soaked wiper only thins the contaminants rather than removing them.

Cold blues work by depositing two layers on the steel. the base is copper in the form of copper sulfate which easily deposits a very thin coat of copper wash on the steel. The rest of the chemistry blackens the copper to a blue-black hue. For that reason, cold blue is not particularly hardy to being rubbed/worn off.
    Thanks for the reply. Where does the use of 0000 steel wool come in then?

(Bucks County)

0000 is very fine. Lightly applied, it removes the residue created by the chemical reactions. Some bluing solutions instruct washing the cold-blued part under water to stop the chemical action, then polishing the part by lightly buffing with the 0000. Lightly meaning almost zero pressure, letting the steel wool remove the unwanted residue only, followed by a thin coat of oil.

Some steels yield a nice bluing easily, some steels seem to not react as well. Multiple applications of cold blue followed by steel wooling, can sometimes build up a deeper color. If additional applications of bluing are needed, use the solvent after each steel wooling because steel wool has a rust preventive on it, which needs to be removed from the part before re-bluing.

This thred is what I originally bought that bottle of Oxpho for.

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=330373

So, I was finally able to finish this project, damn near three months after the fact. Such is our circumstances in the COVID ravaged world we live in.

Anyhow, I'll step through the process I used and include photos I took to show what I did and how.

The first part was prepping the magazine tube for application of the bluing. To do this, I used 0000 steel wool to remove what I could off the threads and the areas where I flattened the dimples, both inside the tube as well as the outside. I then applied acetone to the areas using the two rag system to ensure all surfaces were clean.

Pho-1.jpg

So, I was trying to figure out the "best" way to apply an even application of the bluing, and make it so that it blended into the existing finish without looking janky. For this, I used a small spray bottle that I cut in half, inserted the end of the magazine tube into it and poured the bluing to the desired level.

Pho-2.jpg

This is the end result of having blued the end of the magazine tube three times. After each application, I would very lightly buff the areas with 0000 steel wool, clean thoroughly with acetone, then perform the bluing again. I used a hairdryer on high to heat the entire area first before each application, and I allowed the tube to sit in the solution for 3 minutes during each bluing cycle.

Pho-3.jpg

The final product. After the third and final application of bluing, I thoroughly wiped down the inside and outside of the magazine tube with Birchwood and Casey Barricade, and followed it up with a Hoppe's No. 9 silicone gun and reel cloth with an oil additive. Unless you're really looking for it, you can't really tell where the original finish ends and where the Oxpho begins.

Pho-4.jpg

The end result. With the magazine tube re-blued, cleaned and oiled, the shotgun is reassembled with a new +1 magazine tube extension (Nordic Components), magazine tube nut (Nordic Components), extra power spring (Wolff Spring) and follower (SBE Precision).

Pho-5.jpg

I would like to thank everyone in this thread for assisting and lending their expertise and knowledge in the successful completion of this project! I think the results look fantastic, and my friend is very pleased with the outcome!

As a final note, special thanks and appreciation go out to P89 for sending out a small bottle of Oxpho Blue for this project. Without his selfless contribution, this project would still probably be in the planning stages. Thanks again bro! =)

Looks good! Glad to help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12