Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default rifle case trimming

Newb question:

Is there any reason I shouldn't trim my cases prior to sizing? I single stage load, so I am prepping tons of brass to be ready to load in the future. I am trying to keep my oily hands off clean brass as much as possible so I am considering trimming prior to tumbling and sizing. The little bit of loading I have observed seems to indicate the length after sizing is quite predictable, so why not trim and deburr prior to tumbling and sizing?
    FUCK BIDEN

(Beaver County)

Default Re: rifle case trimming

Resizing the brass is what makes it stretch which makes it needed to be trimmed. Trimming first would lead to uneven sizes after resizing.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    Resizing the brass is what makes it stretch which makes it needed to be trimmed. Trimming first would lead to uneven sizes after resizing.
    I realize the lengths will vary slightly. The couple dozen I worked on last winter grew almost exactly the same, within a few thousandths. So long as they're under the max length they should be good?
    The main reason I'm thinking this is because it seems some don't trim at all unless the cases are over the max after sizing. This is plinking ammo BTW.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Bucks County)

I don't see the issue. Size them first then check the length. You are checking each case anyway so it is no more work doing it right. If you are certain all of the cases were fired in the same chamber just neck size them a few times. Cases don't grow as fast doing this.

For plinking loads it is fine to just trim the cases over max. If you are going for accuracy trim them all to the same length after each shot or two.

(Beaver County)

As long as you have a good idea how much they are growing post sizing then sure.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

Plus or minus a few thousandths as long as under max is fine if you are not crimping. If crimping, trim all to the same length after resizing.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Carbon County)

If the brass came from the same gun, and there is no new, once fired box brass mixed in. I know guys that don't even clean their brass before reloading. I use dirty media for a first cleaning to keep my dies from getting chewed up. After sizing, I trim and deburr the case mouth. The last thing I do is clean the primer pocket. Then back in the tumbler with clean media. Put on surgical gloves after that and store in an air tight plastic container. That keeps the finger print rust off the brass. Sounds like a lot of work, but it is amazing how many faulty cases you pick out in each step. That is me. Do what you want to.

Thanks for the replies. I have many thousand pieces to get working on. Biggest issue at this point is getting them in the tumbler. I need two.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I have many thousand pieces to get working on. Biggest issue at this point is getting them in the tumbler. I need two.
    Cement mixer for volume.
    First cleaning is with walnut prior to any die work. Then do all your sizing, triming, ect. Then run it again with corn cobb media to get all sizing wax off.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    Cement mixer for volume.
    First cleaning is with walnut prior to any die work. Then do all your sizing, triming, ect. Then run it again with corn cobb media to get all sizing wax off.
    Lol that would work.
    I wet tumble with ss pins....hmmm
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast