Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Guns bought, never fired, and then sold

There have been more than one, however, the best one was a S&W M&P9, full size that I bought to put away for posterity, kind of like the model 19-3 (bought in 1996 and ~98% condition w/ box, tools & papers) that I recently sold for a nice profit. Somebody on here wanted it more than I did, so they offered up a complete AR lower and a Shield9 for the full size M&P9. I ended up trading the Shield9 for 1500 rounds of mixed .223 & 5.56, which I in turn sold for a total of $775. That $399.00 + pics and 6% tax M&P9 ended up netting me nearly $1000 worth of AR lower and cash.

(Erie County)

I have 2 pistols that I forgot I had, I found them last week when I put new lights in the gun safe. Both new in the box ,never fired. I figure that if they were forgotten for 19 years I might just as well sell them.
    We the people love our country so let the government fear us.

(Wayne County)

I*ve been given guns by a good friends family that he wanted me to have when he passed away and never shot them. Everything else gets taken to the range and fired.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
    There have been more than one, however, the best one was a S&W M&P9, full size that I bought to put away for posterity, kind of like the model 19-3 (bought in 1996 and ~98% condition w/ box, tools & papers) that I recently sold for a nice profit. Somebody on here wanted it more than I did, so they offered up a complete AR lower and a Shield9 for the full size M&P9. I ended up trading the Shield9 for 1500 rounds of mixed .223 & 5.56, which I in turn sold for a total of $775. That $399.00 + pics and 6% tax M&P9 ended up netting me nearly $1000 worth of AR lower and cash.
    Ever see the show Barter Kings back in the day? It may have been staged but these guys would do multiple trades to eventually get up to a very high dollar item... E.g. push mower, trade for a pressure washer, trade that for a small dirtbike, etc. etc. Up to a Jetski.

Quote Originally Posted by jthrelf View Post
    Ever see the show Barter Kings back in the day? It may have been staged but these guys would do multiple trades to eventually get up to a very high dollar item... E.g. push mower, trade for a pressure washer, trade that for a small dirtbike, etc. etc. Up to a Jetski.
    Kinda like the “one paperclip” Craigslist guy a number of years back that ended up with a house

(York County)

Bought a Mossburg Lever Action 20 gauge in the early 70's when I was in the USAF. Sold or trade it without firing a shot. Don't remember what possessed me to buy it int he first place.

(Monroe County)

Back then the PX's still sold them. I picked up a Colt diamondback 4" .22, I may have put 200 rounds though it. Have not had it out of it's box in over 30 years.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by fistv View Post
    Back then the PX's still sold them. I picked up a Colt diamondback 4" .22, I may have put 200 rounds though it. Have not had it out of it's box in over 30 years.
    They are quite valuable these days, especially in 22. Good score back in the day.

I've bought guns and then for one reason or another didn't shoot them for months or even years. I get around to it eventually. I haven't shot my model 19 that I got a week ago. Probably won't get out today to shoot it, either. Conversely, I have guns I bought and shot right away and they haven't seen daylight since. I'll shoot them again, someday.

I do this more with knives, than guns, though. I will buy a new knife because I like the way it looks or feels, but will never carry it or use it. I just picked up three knives since the beginning of the year and they're all sitting on my desk (along with five other knives). They're flippers, so I use them as fidgeters during conference calls. I had a karambit on my desk for a while, but I had to switch to a trainer because I kept stabbing myself with the real thing. Got three more knives on pre-order, only one of which I know for sure I'll carry (red alox Swiss Army knife - can't wait).

(Delaware County)

I'm with the "never bought a gun that I didn't at least try once" crowd. The one exception was a Hastan shotgun that I just somehow never got to the range or field. Had others supersede it, so I sold it off.
    Know your audience. Don't try to sell a Prius at a Monster Truck Rally.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast