Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
    (Columbia County)
    Posts
    1,330
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: DUIs prohibiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm not aware of any legal status that allows "Keep the guns you already have, but you can't buy more." You're either prohibited, or your not.

    He's wise to try to figure things out rather than doing a "test run", but if an attorney finds info that isn't positive, the next step needs to be getting advice on how to legally dispose of what he has ASAP, before he has a much bigger legal problem to deal with.
    You are wrong according to the crimes code; three DUIs in a 5 year period, the drunk can keep his guns but can buy anymore.

    6105c Persons not to possess, use, manufacture, control, sell or transfer firearms.

    3) A person who has been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance as provided in 75 Pa.C.S. § 3802 (relating to driving under influence of alcohol or controlled substance) or the former 75 Pa.C.S. § 3731, on three or more separate occasions within a five-year period. For the purposes of this paragraph only, the prohibition of subsection (a) shall only apply to transfers or purchases of firearms after the third conviction.
    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=5&subsctn=0

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Out There, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    513
    Rep Power
    7253885

    Default Re: DUIs prohibiting?

    As others stated, contact a lawyer. There is no way for us to know the grading of his DUI's(they're not all the same), and frankly I'm not sure that I would trust his recollection of the time periods involved without seeing a rap sheet.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ligonier, Pennsylvania
    (Westmoreland County)
    Posts
    1,410
    Rep Power
    16808630

    Default Re: DUIs prohibiting?

    All the confusing opinions, legal and otherwise, are the reason he brought this up with me as an FFL. He's been trying to get a definitive answer from his attorney but the guy is unavailable at the moment. Hence my referral of my friend to Gunlawyer.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    North Penn area, Pennsylvania
    Age
    61
    Posts
    4,226
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: DUIs prohibiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    More than staggering distance. ROFLMAO
    Better have been one damn good hoagie!
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    48
    Posts
    19,212
    Rep Power
    21474870

    Default Re: DUIs prohibiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I'm not aware of any legal status that allows "Keep the guns you already have, but you can't buy more." You're either prohibited, or your not.

    He's wise to try to figure things out rather than doing a "test run", but if an attorney finds info that isn't positive, the next step needs to be getting advice on how to legally dispose of what he has ASAP, before he has a much bigger legal problem to deal with.
    Title 18, Chapter 61, Subchapter 6105 does that with DUI's.

    (c) Other persons.—In addition to any person who has been convicted of any offense listed under subsection (b), the following persons shall be subject to the prohibition of subsection (a):
    (3) A person who has been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance as provided in 75 Pa.C.S. § 3802 (relating to driving under influence of alcohol or controlled substance) or the former 75 Pa.C.S. § 3731, on three or more separate occasions within a five-year period. For the purposes of this paragraph only, the prohibition of subsection (a) shall only apply to transfers or purchases of firearms after the third conviction.


    3 DUI in 5 years prohibits you from purchasing, but doesn't prohibit possession unless one or some other conviction was otherwise prohibiting.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J.

    Don't end up in my signature!

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Brookville, Pennsylvania
    (Jefferson County)
    Age
    48
    Posts
    19,212
    Rep Power
    21474870

    Default Re: DUIs prohibiting?

    DUI laws have changed a few times over the decades. Depends on when he got them, the specific DUI law, and the specific grading for that time period.


    I know they changed around 2004, and sometime in last 10 year. I think there was another change in law prior to the 2004 change.


    I had an uncle who was prohibited from a 1970's DUI. Couldn't own guns, and was life-prohibited from getting a drivers license. ..Cant remember what the details were.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J.

    Don't end up in my signature!

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Broomall, Pennsylvania
    (Delaware County)
    Posts
    641
    Rep Power
    2050874

    Default Re: DUIs prohibiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    How far away was the deli?

    Doesn't matter MUI is a prohibiting felony...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    USN Retired, Pennsylvania
    (Monroe County)
    Posts
    3,825
    Rep Power
    21474852

    Default Re: DUIs prohibiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScotsGuards View Post
    Details: He's had 4 DUIs.
    Thanks
    Yep that would do it.

    Sad it took him so long to get he had a problem but that time he really dug himself in deep. I assume he was sentenced even with suspended time over a year.

    The number of counts of DUI would count as a yes for 21e

    "Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
    Warning: The use or possession of marijuana remains unlawful under Federal law regardless of whether it has been legalized or decriminalized
    for medicinal or recreational purposes in the state where you reside"

    Bold mine, but booze counts.
    If he came to me and told me this stuff upfront I would not do the sale and refer him to GL.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,531
    Rep Power
    21474861

    Default Re: DUIs prohibiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    The medical pot card is apparently the status where you can own guns and not be able to buy new ones.
    How so? The ATF has clearly stated that having a medical MJ card is, in their opinion, enough "proof" to make someone prohibited from possession, not just transfers. There may not be a mechanism to track card issuance and proactively go and take the guns away, but there is absolutely no question that those folks are not in legal possession, based on the clear standard set forth.

    Quote Originally Posted by eagleclaw View Post
    You are wrong according to the crimes code; three DUIs in a 5 year period, the drunk can keep his guns but can buy anymore.


    https://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs...tn=5&subsctn=0
    Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Title 18, Chapter 61, Subchapter 6105 does that with DUI's.

    (c) Other persons.*In addition to any person who has been convicted of any offense listed under subsection (b), the following persons shall be subject to the prohibition of subsection (a):
    (3) A person who has been convicted of driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substance as provided in 75 Pa.C.S. § 3802 (relating to driving under influence of alcohol or controlled substance) or the former 75 Pa.C.S. § 3731, on three or more separate occasions within a five-year period. For the purposes of this paragraph only, the prohibition of subsection (a) shall only apply to transfers or purchases of firearms after the third conviction.


    3 DUI in 5 years prohibits you from purchasing, but doesn't prohibit possession unless one or some other conviction was otherwise prohibiting.
    Thank you both for that clarification.

    I will note that based on the chart shown in post #2, two out of three possibilities (based on BAC) that come into play on a third conviction (and one on the second conviction) would trigger a federal prohibition standing alone, based on the max length of the possible sentence, which leaves a very small window to take advantage of the noted shelter from the usual prohibition.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    6,705
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: DUIs prohibiting?

    Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    Better have been one damn good hoagie!
    When you're knock-down drunk, they're all good!
    If you're afraid of the people you represent, you might be doing something wrong

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. old duis
    By aib1015 in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: April 15th, 2013, 08:17 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: March 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
  3. Question about prohibiting offences
    By RPM in forum General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
  4. Prohibiting offenses
    By comfuture in forum General
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: January 21st, 2008, 04:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •