Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Reloading 45 ACP

Understood. If it were that Dillon 650 I'd say 500!

(Susquehanna County)

Typically for pistol calibers that I reload .38, .357, 9mm, .45 ACP I reload in blocks of 300. I have 2 primer tubes in each size so filling one to start dumping it into the primer feed tube then filling both sets the run. I suppose I get more primer tubes, but standing to load 300 is about as long as I want to spend.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Monroe County)

I have one of the rcbs hand held primer tools with the dish attached, usually stick 100 in at a time and watch something on TV or the computer. I do .38, .44 Sp & Mag plus .45acp. It's nice in that you can take the whole CCI tray and put it in the dish, turn it over and done, then just put the lid on the dish. Sometimes get one or two upside down from upside down ones in the CCI tray.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by fistv View Post
    I have one of the rcbs hand held primer tools with the dish attached, usually stick 100 in at a time and watch something on TV or the computer. I do .38, .44 Sp & Mag plus .45acp. It's nice in that you can take the whole CCI tray and put it in the dish, turn it over and done, then just put the lid on the dish. Sometimes get one or two upside down from upside down ones in the CCI tray.
    Been there done that. Back in the days when I was shooting bullseye matches I used t reload my .45 ACP in lots of 100 (a match took 90 rounds). I had a Rockchucker then so I I staged my stuff in batches with cleaned cases, sized cases, and primed cases and when I had a session ready I'd reload. It got to a point where i was always sitting in front of the TV doing something with empty cases. Wifey and kids had enough so they bought me a Dillon 550B for Christmas. Thanks to Desert Shield/Storm I didn't get to use until the next summer.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSteve View Post
    Understood. If it were that Dillon 650 I'd say 500!
    I spit out about 500 pistol rounds in an hour with my XL650. That's with primer tubes at the ready and no final visual inspection of loaded rounds. Whole process for 500 rounds with filling primer tubes and visually inspecting the finished rounds takes about the same time as it does to enjoy whatever movie I put on while reloading (hour and a half). That's working at a decent pace, but not racing.
    In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Monroe County)

While those progressives are cool I started with a Texan 8 station turret that cost me $80 in 74, only reloaded .44 for my Super blackhawk and Remington 788. Got into it heavier once I bought my first .45.

Finally put 50 rds of 45 down range. Happy so far. Using the 6.0 grains Unique and 1.255. A little snappy out of a 4* barrel but fine.
    Sgt Steve

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSteve View Post
    Finally put 50 rds of 45 down range. Happy so far. Using the 6.0 grains Unique and 1.255. A little snappy out of a 4* barrel but fine.
    Sgt Steve
    My understanding was that was a frequently used load in factory ammo in World War 2. 6g of Unique, 1.25 OAL, 230g bullet.

(Susquehanna County)

IIRC the GI National Match "white box" hardball stuff had a velocity of 830 fps right on the box. GI stuff also had an asphalt seal around the bullet inside the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    IIRC the GI National Match "white box" hardball stuff had a velocity of 830 fps right on the box. GI stuff also had an asphalt seal around the bullet inside the case.
    GI 'ball' also had crimped-in primers. The crimp needs to be removed before re-priming.

GI 'match' ammo did not.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast