Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Reloading 45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by abner13 View Post
    GI 'ball' also had crimped-in primers. The crimp needs to be removed before re-priming.

GI 'match' ammo did not.
    A friend's Father gave me a half a box of 45acp with 1943 head stamps on them. The primers were all kinds of a funky greenish blue color. Friend's Father told me that's because they were using mercuric potassium in the primers and it's pretty corrosive. I shot some of the ammo and cleaned the gun immediately when I got home and found it had a peculiar smell to it. I think I still have a few in one of my MTM reload boxes. He also gave me some M1 carbine tracer rounds too. The primers on them were sealed and a bit discolored but not like the 45's. Those cartridges were from the 50's I gave them to someone else because I didn't want to shoot them out of my Korean reimport Inland M1 carbine.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Bucks County)

A big advantage with a .45 is you don't need to use coated or jacketed bullets. It is easy to find a load that can shoot hard cast lead bullets to full power with minimal leading. Lubed bullets can be a little smoky and after 200 rounds you might need to use a bore brush on the barrel when cleaning but they are very economical. Especially if you get into casting your own.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    A big advantage with a .45 is you don't need to use coated or jacketed bullets. It is easy to find a load that can shoot hard cast lead bullets to full power with minimal leading. Lubed bullets can be a little smoky and after 200 rounds you might need to use a bore brush on the barrel when cleaning but they are very economical. Especially if you get into casting your own.
    Yup! Contact Ducati Ron for Coated Bullets or try Penn Bullets for straight cast lead. Both are excellent suppliers in my experience.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

It*s been years but I have used Penn bullets in the past and they are good quality!
    HEY GUYS WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET SOME PRIMERS!???
    SgtSteve

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSteve View Post
    It*s been years but I have used Penn bullets in the past and they are good quality!
    HEY GUYS WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET SOME PRIMERS!???
    SgtSteve
    You can get them on gunbroker, armslist , etc if you're willing to pay 10X the 2019 prices. Somebody on armslist had 5000 CCI SP for $450 yesterday. It may have been fake since they're routinely going for more than $250/1000
    NRA Life Member

(Washington County)

I bought primers at normal prices at two shops a week and a half ago. They’re out there.

(Monroe County)

Dunklebergers has CCI450's for 7.95 for 100 with a 200 limit. Others as well but the price is a tad steep for now. I don't see me going to the range for another month at least. I'd prefer to buy a full box of a thousand.

(Monroe County)

Whats normal prices ? I have not bought primers in 10 years and for my pistols won't need them for a quite a while. Starting reloading 223/556 threw a wrench in it for me.

(Lehigh County)

I paid around $32/1000 for Federal and CCI primers at my LGS for 3 years before the panic. I got some S&B SP primers at Cabelas for $18/1000 back around 2017.
    NRA Life Member

(Washington County)

I paid $28/1000 for CCI standard small pistol at sportsmans warehouse about a month or so ago. Havent seen primers there since.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast