Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: Reloading 45 ACP

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Get a sample pack and measure them and compare them against any recommended bullet of the same weight. IF they measure up the same, back the powder load off by 10% and work your way up. I've done this several times with different bullets with out any issues, YMMV
    Yeah the meaning of reverse engineering. Good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by chp1911 View Post
    Get a sample pack and measure them and compare them against any recommended bullet of the same weight. IF they measure up the same, back the powder load off by 10% and work your way up. I've done this several times with different bullets with out any issues, YMMV
    Reverse engineering>
    Sgt Steve

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    When I first started loading Xtreme and other plated bullets I used cast lead projectile data as some had recommended. Worked fine for lots of rounds. Probably could push them faster but didn*t need to.

You can also google *xtreme 230gr unique* and get 100 recipes.

Yup I just checked. Tons of info out there.
    Josh, thanks! Duh, don't know why i hadn't thought of that. It's an age thing, once you're over 70 your prostate goes, your hearing is shot, your eyes water, your teeth start to fall out! And the mind....
    Sgt Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    I've been reloading .45 acp for a long, long time. I've always used 230gr bullets. From true FMJ, to the plated Rainier and Berry bullets. I've used 6.5gr of Unique for all. COL is 1.260"
    Thanks Steve! 6.5 hot at all? Shooting the XD 4" barrel Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
    I shoot Xtreme 185, 200 and 230 gr plated bullets with a 1911 and a S&W governor but I use Titegroup. I use the middle to 3/4 recommended loads for FMJ bullets using that powder with good results. COL also 1.26
    Hey old engineer! Am I looking at a sub? I think so. Years?
    Sgt Steve

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    + 1 on what Yoder and Josh said on data for lead.
    Looking at my notes my home cast 230 gr. rn with 6.0 of unique ran an average of 860 fps. out of a govt. model.
    5.0 gr. seemed to be the start for cast when I took a quick look.
    I do the "plunk" test to determine final OAL.
    OK the "plunk test"? I thought I was weird when I would take my 5.56 and .308 hand loads and check the TIR by rolling them over the wife's glass top on the kitchen range! Works better than a dial indicator.
    Sgt Steve

cephas, is that a pic of Robert Mitchum?

Quote Originally Posted by noylj View Post
    Do you do any research?
    1) x-treme sells a Reloading manual
    2) their site clearly states: "Our Copper Plated Bullets can be run at mid-range jacketed velocities or higher end lead velocities. We recommend keeping velocities to less than 1500 FPS (Feet Per Second) and using only a light taper crimp."
    I would stick with lead bullet data.
    Yep I did see that, thanks!

I really appreciate all the input. For years I used a Dillon 650 with all the goodies; case feed, primer feed, OAL face tool, primer pocket tool, RCBS digital scale, v block set up, the works. Don't ask me why but here about 6 or 8 years ago I told Evey "...you know I haven't touched that loading gear for more than a year, I'm gonna' sell it", and I did! Had all the dies for .38, .357, 9MM, 45, 5.56, 30-06, .308. Moving to Florida I figured I wouldn't be shooting much anyhow but one of the guys at the Sportsmen's Club had a Lee single stage and the set up (dies, etc) for 45 ACP and I bought it for $35. So that's why the questions on the Unique powder and the Extreme bullets. Had always used Varget, 4198, 2400, and others I've forgotten about. Geeezzz this is bad...but the projectiles that came in the green box! Duh? Pistol was mostly Rem or Win, and Star.... brass? And all the case gages. Hey try not to get old and at the same time avoid the alternative!

Sounds like a b.s. story but using the Dillon 650, and setting up as a single, I got excellent results in rifle loading. I still have several hundred .308s. And a beautiful 1997 loaded version of the Springfield M-14. Be well!

Sgt Steve

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSteve View Post
    OK the "plunk test"? I thought I was weird when I would take my 5.56 and .308 hand loads and check the TIR by rolling them over the wife's glass top on the kitchen range! Works better than a dial indicator.
    Sgt Steve
    Don't know if serious or not. Pull your barrel and drop a reload into it. Obligatory plunk test pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast