Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: 🤔 Homeowner charged with homicide after deadly Stroud Township shooting

Did the intruders "unlawfully and forcefully enter" and were they "present within, a dwelling"? Yes. Case closed.
    Do we know this is true? What if the door is unlocked and/or open? I agree with the sentiment that firing the parting shots as they were running away is going to seal the deal for this guy. Bad deal for everyone involved.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 🤔 Homeowner charged with homicide after deadly Stroud Township shooting

If this "homeowner" was squatting does the Castle doctrine apply? The two other people had just as much of a right to be there than he did.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    If this "homeowner" was squatting does the Castle doctrine apply? The two other people had just as much of a right to be there than he did.
    Does anything else even matter after the guy admitted to shooting those people as they fled?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Krichardson View Post
    Does anything else even matter after the guy admitted to shooting those people as they fled?
    As far as the Police and DA are concerned? Not likely.

It's also hard to criticize this until you've actually been in this type of situation. I've never personally, and hope I never am; but it's really hard to say how you will react until you're in the moment. We all hope we know exactly how we'll respond, but the truth is you probably don't. Perfect example of why training is so important.
    -Brandon

(Monroe County)

FYI there's more to the story than in the paper.

(York County)

Chief Lyon says described Halterman's house as a "hoarding situation."
    "This individual has had prior problems with people breaking into his home, probably because of the condition of the home, and it does appear abandoned."

These "facts" seem irrelevant to me regarding the charges..... reading the article it does seem as though he jumped the gun a little.

(Monroe County)

I've had a few police tell me, no shots in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by spandexlurch View Post
    What I don't get is that police can shoot a fleeing suspect, but not a private citizen that's just been terrorized in their home.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennessee_v._Garner
    Quote Originally Posted by fistv View Post
    I've had a few police tell me, no shots in the back.
    You have a chance at acquittal if you shoot a perp in the back as he's going for a weapon that's behind him, and you shoot for the purpose of defending yourself or another from that weapon.

Not so much if you blab to the police that you shot them "so they didn't get away" or "for revenge" or for any other purpose.

Your lawyer can't tell you to lie about what happened, isn't even supposed to allow you to testify falsely (what they told us in law school was that if the lawyer encourages perjury and the client is caught doing it, the very first thing the client will do is throw the lawyer under the bus). But if you actually shot because it was dark and you thought they were coming at you, that's a defense, one that's now foreclosed because you tried to justify your actions to the police with "they were escaping".

After a defensive shooting, people will say stupid things. They might act macho for the cops, they might try to piece together what happened and get it wrong. Never talk to the cops except to say "I need a lawyer." Your lawyer can help you remember what happened and prevent you from making statements that are at odds with what you really did in those seconds.

People get the facts wrong all the time. They think they fired twice, when they emptied the gun. They don't remember who did what, in what order. People occasionally are unaware that they were shot, until they notice the blood leaking out of themselves. They believe they saw the perp come in the left window but all the physical evidence proves it was the right one. Wait until the adrenaline dissipates, wait until you've had time to process, wait until you can tell your lawyer what you think happened, so he can at least tell you which parts of the truth help and which parts you want to keep quiet about. You have a 5th Amendment, use it. Shut up. Making any false statements to the police will not help your case, because now you're a "liar".
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    It's also hard to criticize this until you've actually been in this type of situation. I've never personally, and hope I never am; but it's really hard to say how you will react until you're in the moment. We all hope we know exactly how we'll respond, but the truth is you probably don't. Perfect example of why training is so important.
    I agree with your points and I certainly wasnt criticizing the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    FYI there's more to the story than in the paper.
    So,what's the information?
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by pens87pgh View Post
    As far as the Police and DA are concerned? Not likely.

I recommend attending some seminars and reading some pamphlets on self defense in your home. You would best handle a situation if you had already thought about it once or twice rather than just face it cold turkey and not have any idea what's justifiable and what isn't. i e I've been told time and time again that an intruder with arms full of TV isn't sufficient danger to you to shoot him while he's in your house. OTOH, if it's dark and you can't see that his hands are full of TV and he appears to be coming at you, it's another story. And as always, it's up to the police to make their case against you so don't help them or give them the wrong idea of what happened. Therefore, if it's broad daylight and the hoodlum has his arms full of TV, I'll hold off on shooting until that has changed.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast