Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Why arent ammo dealers being resupplied?

Manufacturers have a primary need...that of staying in business. Expensive expansions to address a temporary situation is a losing proposition. There is an added element to the present-day shortages. Joe Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, et all, who have stated plans to curb the ability to buy ammo. When their plans kick in, there will be a sudden drop in ability to buy ammo. Manufacturers cannot be expected to gear up when such a known lurks in the wings. Meanwhile, they are at as full production as capable.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

It's too bad so few people understand basic economics.

Supply is fairly inelastic. Manufacturers dont have empty plants sitting around, waiting for times like these. They're paying more for scarce materials and overtime. They're paying more for maintenance and repairs as they try to reduce the downtime of every machine. Every new piece of equipment needs to pay itself off in months now instead of years.

What do you think would happen today if 9mm was still $12 a box? Answer: Availability would be even worse. Those lucky enough to find it would buy even more. And the increased profit potential would draw more people into the scalping game. At $20 a box, Cabelas is still selling below market value, so the demand is through the roof.

Guys here turned their noses up at me buying three $100 boxes of primers. Seriously? I'm paying 7 cents a round more for primers, but I can load 3000 more rounds. That's a lot of shooting!

BTW, I'm paying 7 cents a round more to reload, but Cabelas is charging 15 cents a round more. Suddenly those $100 primers look pretty good.

This shortage will go on at least another 2 years. Whining about it won't change anything. There's only a few things you can do. Buy expensive ammo. Sit at your keyboard for hours on end hitting refresh at TargetSportsUSA or LuckyGunner. Get up at 5:00 AM and go sit outside Dunhams, hoping the truck will come in today. Or just sit at home wishing you could go shooting.

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post

Supply is fairly inelastic. Manufacturers dont have empty plants sitting around, waiting for times like these. They're paying more for scarce materials and overtime. They're paying more for maintenance and repairs as they try to reduce the downtime of every machine. Every new piece of equipment needs to pay itself off in months now instead of years.

What do you think would happen today if 9mm was still $12 a box? Answer: Availability would be even worse. Those lucky enough to find it would buy even more. And the increased profit potential would draw more people into the scalping game. At $20 a box, Cabelas is still selling below market value, so the demand is through the roof.

Guys here turned their noses up at me buying three $100 boxes of primers. Seriously? I'm paying 7 cents a round more for primers, but I can load 3000 more rounds. That's a lot of shooting!

BTW, I'm paying 7 cents a round more to reload, but Cabelas is charging 15 cents a round more. Suddenly those $100 primers look pretty good.

This shortage will go on at least another 2 years. Whining about it won't change anything. There's only a few things you can do. Buy expensive ammo. Sit at your keyboard for hours on end hitting refresh at TargetSportsUSA or LuckyGunner. Get up at 5:00 AM and go sit outside Dunhams, hoping the truck will come in today. Or just sit at home wishing you could go shooting.
    Yes .

(Allegheny County)

Yup. There are stores that refresh, but usually sells out quickly online: SigSauer, Federal (but now with box limits to messes up the free shipping floor), Speer/Lawman, SuperVel and Stand1 for reloads. I will say that Sig's defensive 9mm usually sits around for a few hours before selling out, but then you're paying defensive load prices and not range ones.

Now the CMP online store still has 22lr, .40, .223, and the like at their prices, but I believe it's taking them 2-3 months to fill orders. Washington Co. Machine Guns has CMP memberships for around $30 that let's you buy form the CMP Store.

(Montgomery County)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=E5zNNk130V0&feature=share

Follow up video by Jason Vanderbrink

OR
    Prepare ahead of time after having lived through it before.

ETA:
    not always feasible I know, but anything helps.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bang View Post
    Manufacturers have a primary need...that of staying in business. Expensive expansions to address a temporary situation is a losing proposition. There is an added element to the present-day shortages. Joe Biden, Pelosi, Schumer, et all, who have stated plans to curb the ability to buy ammo. When their plans kick in, there will be a sudden drop in ability to buy ammo. Manufacturers cannot be expected to gear up when such a known lurks in the wings. Meanwhile, they are at as full production as capable.
    Economics 101. I have seen more than one fail in the long run due to their shortsightedness during a short run on product.
    Quote Originally Posted by CallinSIC View Post

He 'splains it pretty well, I like that guy.

Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CallinSIC View Post

LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!!!
    He starts off by saying that a lot of people were asking "What are you doing for the health of your workers?" and talks about covid crap.
    LOL! Give me a break - people want AMMO - nobody asked about the steps he's taking to protect his workers from covid!

p.s.
    Don't get all pissy about my post and read into it anything that isn't there. I just thought that part was "obligatory" and not based on "tons of inquiries" about covid.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    LIAR, LIAR, PANTS ON FIRE!!!
    He starts off by saying that a lot of people were asking "What are you doing for the health of your workers?" and talks about covid crap.
    LOL! Give me a break - people want AMMO - nobody asked about the steps he's taking to protect his workers from covid!

p.s.
    Don't get all pissy about my post and read into it anything that isn't there. I just thought that part was "obligatory" and not based on "tons of inquiries" about covid.
    Really! I didn't give a shit about that part.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Fuck it.
    If I run low on range ammo I will just fish more than I shoot.
    I won't pay the insane prices.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast