Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wall Tents

Default Wall Tents

Watching some YouTube channels last night on simple and affordable cabin building (12*x12*) nothing extravagant. After that started looking at other living options and in comes the Wall Tent. Anyone here live in one for any extended period of time including winter?

If so any tips on how to make it more enjoyable and livable?

Off the bat I do know for longer term stays to build and put it up on a platform vs right in the ground. Indoor/outdoor carpet helps to make it a bit more comfortable in the inside as well.
    Last edited by Hodgie; January 19th, 2021 at 07:19 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Wall Tents

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Watching some YouTube channels last night on simple and affordable cabin building (12*x12*) nothing extravagant. After that started looking at other living options and in comes the Wall Tent. Anyone here live in one for any extended period of time including winter?

If so any tips on how to make it more enjoyable and livable?

Off the bat I do know for longer term stays to build and put it up on a platform vs right in the ground. Indoor/outdoor carpet halos to make it a bit more comfortable in the inside as well.
    I have a hippie buddy who lived in a yurt in upstate, NY for a few years. He kept it nice and it was not bad.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Always thought yurts were pretty cool, but they're pricey.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    Always thought yurts were pretty cool, but they're pricey.
    I like the look at yurts, but two things stop me from buying (1) I read a lot of issues with mildew, (2) Not sure what the weather does to them when you leave them unattended for awhile.
    "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Look at YAKIMA tents They sell outfitter wall tents with a set up for a wood stove. We used their Civil War wall tents for years and were impressed with the quality. If you are setting up for long term get a fly to put over the tent to help with the temperature swings.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(Lehigh County)

Longneck (Formerly Northern Lancaster County), Delaware

Quote Originally Posted by phill View Post
    Look at YAKIMA tents They sell outfitter wall tents with a set up for a wood stove. We used their Civil War wall tents for years and were impressed with the quality. If you are setting up for long term get a fly to put over the tent to help with the temperature swings.
    Many moons ago, on a hunting trip to Montana, I stayed a week in a wall tent on a cot with just a carpet on the dirt. It was cozy as long as the wood stove didn’t go out. Likewise, the cook/mess tent stayed warm.

I agree on the Yakima tents with a fly. I too used one for many years Civil War reenacting. Good quality and I believe still made in the USA.

Some pretty good info in this video with what to look for in a wall tent especially if your going to spend a lot of time in it. This guy had a great channel for living off the grid and DIY stuff. His wife has her own channel two which is almost just as good as his.

He recommended this brand, affordable, USA made, veteran owned.
    https://www.walltentshop.com/

(Lancaster County)

Panther Primitives
    Tentsmiths
    RK Lodges

All make quality canvas tents in various styles. I’ve had my wedge from Tentsmiths for about 20 years and its still good. I put the stove jack in myself. Do yourself a favor and have it pre-installed.

Quote Originally Posted by heatheroo View Post
    Panther Primitives
    Tentsmiths
    RK Lodges

All make quality canvas tents in various styles. I’ve had my wedge from Tentsmiths for about 20 years and its still good. I put the stove jack in myself. Do yourself a favor and have it pre-installed.
    Thanks for the info. The pre installed stove jacks are something I’ve read are a must if it’s going to be for cold weather use.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast