Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Everything is a compromise.
    Not H&K.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Going underground

Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    How many RPGs do you get?
    Directly proportional to the amount of illegal diamonds, drugs, guns, etc. you sell. Mo' money, mo' RPGs....think that's how the song goes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    From what I gather, being warlord isn't as glorious as it sounds, someone is always trying to knock you off.
    Occupational hazard. Its a fine line between keeping the subjects in line and not pissing them off badly enough that they're calling for your head

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by red dog View Post
    Was just here thinking, I know kinda tough sometimes. With the upcoming troubles we are possibly gonna have who*s making plans. Such as hiding assets, own property or not. Live off the grid. For the life of me I can*t see how you can take advantage of ss or Medicare or other social programs that the elderly typically use and accomplish hiding. What kind of ideas or plans to hide as much as possible and still be a part of society do you have. Seems to me it*s gonna be a juggling act with compromise being at the front. I guess I*m looking for ideas and a general discussion on what*s feasible, strictly from a academic standpoint as we don*t want to teach how to break any laws.
    Step 1 is to dump the cell phone
    You're a sanctimonious hypocrite of a bible-spouting blackmailer !

(Cumberland County)

Some good ideas and thoughts. Thanks guys. Seems to me me it will be increasingly hard to sit on the fence. On one hand you want to be able to take advantage of the programs and resources that the elderly typically use. On the other the ever increasing scrutiny of your assets and personal info whether it’s medical or financial to determine your eligibility. Still looking for a good place to put financial assets that you can deny their existence and readily access them as needed. Honestly not to concerned about depreciation since it occurs regularly anyway. Have to admit if you could hide and still find appreciation that would be great. Seems to me big brother has his hand in your pocket and a tight grip on your junk ready to squeeze no matter how you play the game. I think I’ll have to settle for small wins amongst the losses.

(York County)

What kind of ideas or plans to hide as much as possible and still be a part of society do you have.
    There's a podcast I listen to called The No Agenda Show where one of the hosts talks about living the OTG (Off The Grid) lifestyle. It's not literally Off The Grid, but just trying to be as independent as possible and leaving as few data trails, particularly outside the house, as possible.

This does require some changes in lifestyle. This means no Face-Bag, Twitter, Google and changing your mobile to use GrapheneOS along with other changes which reduce data usage.

Other changes we made or plan on making:
    * becoming debt free. Wife and I are refinancing and in 6-10 years will have the house paid for. This will make us much more resilient to severe economic changes.
    * paying cash when possible.
    * buying local. Using the local butcher instead of a chain supermarket, etc.
    * getting in better shape by spending time outdoors. Less dependency on our medical system (which may be socialized therefore me loosing control) and longer better health.
    * reading more, particularly historical non-fiction, to get a better perspective on where our society has come from. I'm working through the Russian revolution right now.

As far as hiding stuff, I'm not sure that's possible for me right now. I still need my job to pay a mortgage and I don't have enough land to really hide anything. The wife and I toyed with the idea of buying land in the middle of nowhere but I'd rather pay off my mortgage and save up for earlier retirement.

(York County)

Was just here thinking, I know kinda tough sometimes. With the upcoming troubles we are possibly gonna have who’s making plans. Such as hiding assets, own property or not. Live off the grid. For the life of me I can’t see how you can take advantage of ss or Medicare or other social programs that the elderly typically use and accomplish hiding. What kind of ideas or plans to hide as much as possible and still be a part of society do you have. Seems to me it’s gonna be a juggling act with compromise being at the front. I guess I’m looking for ideas and a general discussion on what’s feasible, strictly from a academic standpoint as we don’t want to teach how to break any laws.
    When you think of it, by the stroke of a pen we could (most of us) become instant felons.... Part of me thinks that if we all line up and say lock us up we could overwhelm the system - but then the lousy charge would vacate our legitimate gun rights.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    When you think of it, by the stroke of a pen we could (most of us) become instant felons.... Part of me thinks that if we all line up and say lock us up we could overwhelm the system - but then the lousy charge would vacate our legitimate gun rights.
    If I am going to be a felon, I am going to act like one.

(Tioga County)

Some good ideas and thoughts. Thanks guys. Seems to me me it will be increasingly hard to sit on the fence. On one hand you want to be able to take advantage of the programs and resources that the elderly typically use. On the other the ever increasing scrutiny of your assets and personal info whether it*s medical or financial to determine your eligibility. Still looking for a good place to put financial assets that you can deny their existence and readily access them as needed. Honestly not to concerned about depreciation since it occurs regularly anyway. Have to admit if you could hide and still find appreciation that would be great. Seems to me big brother has his hand in your pocket and a tight grip on your junk ready to squeeze no matter how you play the game. I think I*ll have to settle for small wins amongst the losses.
    One thing I found is no matter what(and I live a pretty minimalist lifestyle) is that someone is going to have their hand in your pocket somehow, someway and there will always be some form to fill out for something. So I don't think you can escape completely, but I do my best.

Like the famed economist Milton Friedman says, even though a lot of these government programs or tax credits are dumb and in the end have a negative effect on society, you are also stupid for not taking advantage of them. It's not legal for instance to evade taxes but you can avoid them by taking advantage of legit deductions, business expenses, depreciation, etc. I personally think for instance that social security is a bloated, indebted mess but when the day comes to take my check, regardless of my circumstances, I'm going to take it and you should to.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
    There's a podcast I listen to called The No Agenda Show where one of the hosts talks about living the OTG (Off The Grid) lifestyle. It's not literally Off The Grid, but just trying to be as independent as possible and leaving as few data trails, particularly outside the house, as possible.

This does require some changes in lifestyle. This means no Face-Bag, Twitter, Google and changing your mobile to use GrapheneOS along with other changes which reduce data usage.

Other changes we made or plan on making:
    * becoming debt free. Wife and I are refinancing and in 6-10 years will have the house paid for. This will make us much more resilient to severe economic changes.
    * paying cash when possible.
    * buying local. Using the local butcher instead of a chain supermarket, etc.
    * getting in better shape by spending time outdoors. Less dependency on our medical system (which may be socialized therefore me loosing control) and longer better health.
    * reading more, particularly historical non-fiction, to get a better perspective on where our society has come from. I'm working through the Russian revolution right now.

As far as hiding stuff, I'm not sure that's possible for me right now. I still need my job to pay a mortgage and I don't have enough land to really hide anything. The wife and I toyed with the idea of buying land in the middle of nowhere but I'd rather pay off my mortgage and save up for earlier retirement.
    Paying off debt and being debt free pays great returns in the end. Most Americans are in a hamster wheel of debt they will never escape from and they will never really "retire" and by retirement I mean having options where you can work if you want but you don't have to also. I always think doing some work is good for the body and mind. My advice if buying land is monetize it somehow, do a timber harvest every 10 years, lease it for hunting and farming, buy good mineral rights, etc.

I've started buying more from local vendors, especially in spring, summer and fall and my food costs are lower and the food is fresh tasting.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Paying off debt and being debt free pays great returns in the end. Most Americans are in a hamster wheel of debt they will never escape from and they will never really "retire" and by retirement I mean having options where you can work if you want but you don't have to also. I always think doing some work is good for the body and mind. My advice if buying land is monetize it somehow, do a timber harvest every 10 years, lease it for hunting and farming, buy good mineral rights, etc.

I've started buying more from local vendors, especially in spring, summer and fall and my food costs are lower and the food is fresh tasting.
    I have always been debt conscious and kept mine to a minimum. Many may find it hard to believe how little debt previous generations carried and I believe that auto loans are something rather new, I recall my father being appalled that my sister bought a new car with a three year loan. My wife might have actually beat me on that mission tough and she just has to pay her bill the day it comes in. I laugh about it but if I forget to take the payment out to the mailbox the next day, she takes it out.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast