Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Over Yonder., Pennsylvania
    Posts
    80
    Rep Power
    5885103

    Default Re: Going underground

    Every time you watch an ad, that means somebody is trying to get into your pocket.
    "May the odds be ever in America's favor"

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DeepInTheWoods, Pennsylvania
    (Warren County)
    Posts
    2,193
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Going underground

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If I am going to be a felon, I am going to act like one.
    This.

    Never been a scofflaw or neer-do-well yet, but its hard to stay law abiding when I am vilified for my legal choices.

    The Dems and media broke the social contract, not the conservatives.

    All my other boxes are used up.

    If Immana be an out law, Immana do a good job of it. until then Immans stay law abiding.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DeepInTheWoods, Pennsylvania
    (Warren County)
    Posts
    2,193
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Going underground

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    If I am going to be a felon, I am going to act like one.
    This.

    Never been a scofflaw or neer-do-well yet, but its hard to stay law abiding when I am vilified for my legal choices.

    The Dems and media broke the social contract, not the conservatives.

    All my other boxes are used up.

    If Immana be an out law, Immana do a good job of it. until then Immans stay law abiding.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Underground Bunker
    Posts
    3,823
    Rep Power
    21474852

    Default Re: Going underground

    Quote Originally Posted by gamer_jim View Post
    There's a podcast I listen to called The No Agenda Show where one of the hosts talks about living the OTG (Off The Grid) lifestyle. It's not literally Off The Grid, but just trying to be as independent as possible and leaving as few data trails, particularly outside the house, as possible.

    This does require some changes in lifestyle. This means no Face-Bag, Twitter, Google and changing your mobile to use GrapheneOS along with other changes which reduce data usage.

    Other changes we made or plan on making:
    * becoming debt free. Wife and I are refinancing and in 6-10 years will have the house paid for. This will make us much more resilient to severe economic changes.
    * paying cash when possible.
    * buying local. Using the local butcher instead of a chain supermarket, etc.
    * getting in better shape by spending time outdoors. Less dependency on our medical system (which may be socialized therefore me loosing control) and longer better health.
    * reading more, particularly historical non-fiction, to get a better perspective on where our society has come from. I'm working through the Russian revolution right now.


    As far as hiding stuff, I'm not sure that's possible for me right now. I still need my job to pay a mortgage and I don't have enough land to really hide anything. The wife and I toyed with the idea of buying land in the middle of nowhere but I'd rather pay off my mortgage and save up for earlier retirement.
    Being debt free is no doubt a plus, but there are good ways to use debt. I have a Fidelity Visa Credit card and last year I got back $800 in rewards. These were put into stocks and mutual funds which are up by an average of 50% thus far. So that $800 is now $1200 just after the first year.

    I pay the credit card bill each month so there is no credit card debt, and have no auto loan nor any school loans. And the house is nearly paid off. But paying cash and forgoing truly free money is not the smartest thing to do IMO. Use the system where you can when it will benefit you. The Fidelity Visa card pays back 2% on every purchase you make.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    6,730
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Going underground

    Quote Originally Posted by ShooterInPA1 View Post
    Being debt free is no doubt a plus, but there are good ways to use debt. I have a Fidelity Visa Credit card and last year I got back $800 in rewards. These were put into stocks and mutual funds which are up by an average of 50% thus far. So that $800 is now $1200 just after the first year.

    I pay the credit card bill each month so there is no credit card debt, and have no auto loan nor any school loans. And the house is nearly paid off. But paying cash and forgoing truly free money is not the smartest thing to do IMO. Use the system where you can when it will benefit you. The Fidelity Visa card pays back 2% on every purchase you make.
    I just can't keep up with which credit card gives what. One wants to give air miles, one wants to give cruise miles, another wants to give some cash back, another wants to give store credit. If I spent $1M/year I'd play the game but I don't so I just use two cards to keep things to a minimum.
    If you're afraid of the people you represent, you might be doing something wrong

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
    Posts
    1,508
    Rep Power
    21474849

    Default Re: Going underground

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I just can't keep up with which credit card gives what. One wants to give air miles, one wants to give cruise miles, another wants to give some cash back, another wants to give store credit. If I spent $1M/year I'd play the game but I don't so I just use two cards to keep things to a minimum.
    If you have trouble keeping track of stuff like that, I can totally understand not playing the game.
    So far though over the last couple years i've gotten over $3000 in cash back or savings by playing the CC rewards game.

    My currently active one: spend $500 in 3 months get $200 back. I bought $745+ in car parts on it already. Soon as that bill comes in the bonus is getting applied to it, the bill paid off, and in a month or 2 I'll close the card.
    Last edited by sota; January 24th, 2021 at 12:47 PM.
    Member: NJ "undocumented" Felons Club. NRA Life Member

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Underground Bunker
    Posts
    3,823
    Rep Power
    21474852

    Default Re: Going underground

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I just can't keep up with which credit card gives what. One wants to give air miles, one wants to give cruise miles, another wants to give some cash back, another wants to give store credit. If I spent $1M/year I'd play the game but I don't so I just use two cards to keep things to a minimum.
    I have one that I use for 98% of purchases and then one that I will sign up for for the bonuses as I have nearly perfect credit. Just got one paying $200 in rewards for spending $1000 with 0% financing for a year. Just got the $200 in free rewards after a month and will put a large purchase on it for the free financing. Then I am back to my main 2% back credit card until next year when I repeat the process.

    I believe the day is coming when these freebies will come to an end. Until then, I plan on getting what I can.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Going underground

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I am seriously considering moving somewhere else. It would probably mean a big change in my way of life as I do not want to move all of my shit, I'd probably have an auctioneer dispose of it in one day and collect my share. There are expat communities all over the globe and moving to one of them might even be in the future.
    Where are these expat communities you are talking about?

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Douglassville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    6,730
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: Going underground

    Quote Originally Posted by PadreANT View Post
    Where are these expat communities you are talking about?
    I was ignorant to the fact that they were even a thing until I toured Bangkok in 2002 and found an expat community there by accident. Subsequently, I have discovered that they exist in other places as well. Mexico, Costa Rica are two that I know of and I have heard of them in Argentina, though I haven't looked into it myself. One outside of Tijuana had about a 10' stone wall all the way around it. I don't think I'd go to Mexico though, I couldn't feel 'safe' there.
    If you're afraid of the people you represent, you might be doing something wrong

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    York, Pennsylvania
    (York County)
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Going underground

    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I was ignorant to the fact that they were even a thing until I toured Bangkok in 2002 and found an expat community there by accident. Subsequently, I have discovered that they exist in other places as well. Mexico, Costa Rica are two that I know of and I have heard of them in Argentina, though I haven't looked into it myself. One outside of Tijuana had about a 10' stone wall all the way around it. I don't think I'd go to Mexico though, I couldn't feel 'safe' there.
    I wonder if there are any in Europe?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Underground gun industry in the Phillipines
    By glocke12 in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 10th, 2013, 05:48 PM
  2. Guns/Democratic Underground
    By CarolinaGuy in forum General
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: September 8th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •