Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Arrow Ron knows bullets

I'm about to order some 9 mm projectiles. There are a number of types of there. What I'm using now are the round nose type. Does anybody have any experience with a different type. I'm using CZ 75. One of the comments I read on "steel Valley casting", a fellow said his CZ wouldn't eat the powder coating type on a bet. Reliability is what is most important to me. Thanks fellows, Joe
    Last edited by joeyj; January 18th, 2021 at 05:06 PM. Reason: mis spell

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Ron knows bullets

Yes. I have the Shadow version of the CZ 75 B. Single action it won't handle cast lead or coated bullets. Plated or jacketed work fine. I still don't fully know why. That being said I use Ron's bullets with no issues in S&W 986. Get a small sample quantity from Ron (say 100) and try them out, you might get lucky!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Beaver County)

CZ's are know for tight rifling right at the beginning of the case mouth. It actually has nothing to do with coating or coated bullets
    Its has more to do with the ogive (bullet nose profile). My bullets have a very short ogive. So if you load them long they dont fit well. I have more bearing surface (bullet to barrel contact) which makes them more accurate but leads to fit issues in tight guns.

Most can run my new truncated bullets but still have to make them 1.055 in length for a 125 and 1.070 for a 147.

Feel free to call me if this confuses you or you need more info. Please leave a message. I cant always get to the phone when it rings.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Allegheny County)

I can't speak for the CZ issue But a number of us here use Ron's coated bullets with no issues.. Im using his 380 bullets in a LCP380 & S&W 380EZ with no issues

(Lackawanna County)

I run blue bullets through my shadow 2 all day every day. There’s no issues with the coated bullet. Hell every uspsa match there are ten of them there probably all running coated. It has to do with the chamber and the oal.

(Susquehanna County)

I run Ron's 124 gr RN at 1.135" I also had some Penn 120 gr. that I seated to 1.055" that didn't go either. Oh well to to experiment with. As to Ron's bullets I use them almost exclusively for 9mm Revolver, .38 Spec. and .45 ACP Semi and Revolver. The only thing I use jacket pistol bullets for is stiff .357 Magnum loads.

(Dauphin County)

I run Ron's 125 gr Conical Nose in two CZ's, a 75 Semi-Compact and an 85B, at 1.070-1.075 OAL. Through several hundred rounds I have had zero issues. As Ron said, it is the ogive that gives trouble in the short throat of the CZ, not the coating. This can happen with any bullet, not just coated bullets. The coating doesn't make the bullet "fatter", the bullet has to be sized so that when the coating is added, it finishes at the proper size.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Allegheny County)

what's your phone number, I'm confused. Joe

(Beaver County)

PM sent. Call after 530 please.

My number is also on my website.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    I run Ron's 125 gr Conical Nose in two CZ's, a 75 Semi-Compact and an 85B, at 1.070-1.075 OAL. Through several hundred rounds I have had zero issues. As Ron said, it is the ogive that gives trouble in the short throat of the CZ, not the coating. This can happen with any bullet, not just coated bullets. The coating doesn't make the bullet "fatter", the bullet has to be sized so that when the coating is added, it finishes at the proper size.
    I suppose what I can do is dismount the barrel and use it for a plop test on dummies loaded to various "shorter" lengths. It would really be nice to know if and how pressure increases as the seating depth is increased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast